The Student Room Group

Anyone else think Re marks are way to expensive?

i mean 45 quid for 1 A level paper to be remarked

imagine how many people got wrong marks given to them but never had the chance to remark it because the cost would end up being nearly £200 for 4 papers remarked.

just feels like an injustice to me, £20 ok but £45 for a priority remark? thats ridiculous.
Does anyone think re marks are weird lol?
Doesn't it just show the inaccuracy of examiners marking if you get moved down or up a whole grade+
Iirc, you should get a partial refund if your grade (not just mark) goes up. (but not if it goes down even though that also surely illustrates that it was marked wrong)

But yeah, its extortionate.
(edited 7 years ago)
I presume it's to prevent everybody who was on the undesirable side of a grade boundary asking for what is labour intensive and generally not dramatic in result procedure. The high costs make you consider whether you really think that it was marked incorrectly, rather than just 'hitting and hoping' for a grade boost to get you over the threshold for an A.
If they were cheap every Tom, Dick and Harry would be getting a remark for the sake of it
Cringè
Reply 6
I thought you get your money back if your grade goes up. At least that's what happened when I did A-Levels...
Original post by loveleest
Does anyone think re marks are weird lol?
Doesn't it just show the inaccuracy of examiners marking if you get moved down or up a whole grade+

Not really. All systems with processes have an appeals system as they arent infallible. Successful remarks account for a very small number of exam papers.
If you get a few extra marks then it could be the difference between a grade, but mistakes of entire grades are even rarer.
Original post by BabyLadDarren
i mean 45 quid for 1 A level paper to be remarked

imagine how many people got wrong marks given to them but never had the chance to remark it because the cost would end up being nearly £200 for 4 papers remarked.

just feels like an injustice to me, £20 ok but £45 for a priority remark? thats ridiculous.

Very low number of peopel successully get remarked. they should at least cover their costs and you get your money back if successful. Im surprised how cheap they are tbh.
Original post by 999tigger
Not really. All systems with processes have an appeals system as they arent infallible. Successful remarks account for a very small number of exam papers.
If you get a few extra marks then it could be the difference between a grade, but mistakes of entire grades are even rarer.

Not really lmao. I remember when I read somewhere on social media that an A level student got their paper re marked from an A to a U So what does that tell you? It tells me that the education system has many flaws and one is how papers are being marked.
Very low number of peopel successully get remarked. they should at least cover their costs and you get your money back if successful. Im surprised how cheap they are tbh.

Cheap? For stating a simple opinion wtf? It's like nowadays you can't even engage in a debate without a pathetic low life saying something slightly offensive. Get a grip?
Original post by loveleest
Not really lmao. I remember when I read somewhere on social media that an A level student got their paper re marked from an A to a U So what does that tell you? It tells me that the education system has many flaws and one is how papers are being marked.

Reading something on social media doesnt mean it was true. Care to link it?

Even if it was true, it just says a few mistakes happen, but there are millions of papers to mark. People have gotten into the haboy of asking for remarks because they try and get a second chance when that isnt what the system is for. the rule changes introduced this year have dealt with that situation.
Reading something on social media doesnt mean it was true. Care to link it?

Even if it was true, it just says a few mistakes happen, but there are millions of papers to mark. People have gotten into the haboy of asking for remarks because they try and get a second chance when that isnt what the system is for. the rule changes introduced this year have dealt with that situation.

LOL a big mistake like that? I doubt the person was lying. Even if they were it has probably happened before. I read it when I used twitter, lol...I dont have to link anything.

That mistake was pretty huge. That determines whether you can take a course you want in uni and change someone's life?
You get a portion of your money back I thought. The actual marker still gets paid but since they literally get like 2 pounds per paper you get the majority of the money back.

Quick Reply

Latest