The Student Room Group

Feel like I'm not good enough for anyone

I'm 22 and single and its starting to get me down. I've been single for a while now and I've decided to start dating again and see if a relationship comes from anything but it hasn't. All my friends are in relationships except for me and I feel lonely and as though I have no one to spend my time with. I was recently seeing someone but she blew me off saying I was too young for her and then said "you're cute, you're a gentleman, funny, great personality you've got loads going for you."

Personally I don't believe I do have a lot going for me I just feel like I'm not good enough for anyone.
Reply 1
It doesn't matter that your friends are in relationships. What matters is that you find the right person for you and you're happy. No use in rushing to any girl right?

My suggestion is to work on your confidence. No girl wants someone who puts themselves down like that.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 22 and single and its starting to get me down. I've been single for a while now and I've decided to start dating again and see if a relationship comes from anything but it hasn't. All my friends are in relationships except for me and I feel lonely and as though I have no one to spend my time with. I was recently seeing someone but she blew me off saying I was too young for her and then said "you're cute, you're a gentleman, funny, great personality you've got loads going for you."

Personally I don't believe I do have a lot going for me I just feel like I'm not good enough for anyone.

Read "The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem" by Nathianel Branden. Do the exercises.
Right down stuff that you like about yourself (characteristics, achievements etc).

You need to go out there and show the world what you're made of. You have value, and lots of it. Keep leaving your life, do the things YOU want to do, and most of all just enjoy the journey. Work on yourself whether that be physical fitness or mental health, relax, appreciate what you have and the moments you share with friends and family. It's difficult, but when you're happy you'll be ready to meet that right person.

You don't want to end up where I am. Keep your chin up! :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by UWS
It doesn't matter that your friends are in relationships. What matters is that you find the right person for you and you're happy. No use in rushing to any girl right?

My suggestion is to work on your confidence. No girl wants someone who puts themselves down like that.

I understand that it doesn't matter that my friends are in relationships but I'm not. As for the working on my confidence I have tried working on it a lot but constantly being rejected by girls destroys my confidence.
I understand that it doesn't matter that my friends are in relationships but I'm not. As for the working on my confidence I have tried working on it a lot but constantly being rejected by girls destroys my confidence.

Then stop doing it until you get some self esteem, maximise your plusses and work on yourself. Its possible you come off as not confident, with low self esteem and quite needy. not a good look. Thats why you need to change so you cna show you have soemthing to offer and people like spending time with you.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Then stop doing it until you get some self esteem, maximise your plusses and work on yourself. Its possible you come off as not confident, with low self esteem and quite needy. not a good look. Thats why you need to change so you cna show you have soemthing to offer and people like spending time with you.

That's the thing people say I'm great to get along with and girls are always paying me compliments and I do come across as confident when I'm out but I still get rejected. It's more when I'm on my own with my own thoughts that I start to think I'm not good enough.
OP,

I'm in the same boat as you, and I know how crippling it can be to feel so alone and undesirable. It's utter sh*t, believe me I know. Fact of the matter is, if you're living a healthy lifestyle and are engaging with people, somewhere along the line you WILL meet someone. Unfortunately it is just a matter of time. Follow the advice I wrote in my post above, and you should see some improvement.

If nothing else, do not convince yourself you are not good enough. You do not want to get to the point, like me, where you accept you will be alone forever.
Reply 7
Original post by -
OP,

I'm in the same boat as you, and I know how crippling it can be to feel so alone and undesirable. It's utter sh*t, believe me I know. Fact of the matter is, if you're living a healthy lifestyle and are engaging with people, somewhere along the line you WILL meet someone. Unfortunately it is just a matter of time. Follow the advice I wrote in my post above, and you should see some improvement.

If nothing else, do not convince yourself you are not good enough. You do not want to get to the point, like me, where you accept you will be alone forever.

Thanks mate. At least I know someone else knows how I feel. Some days I feel great and on top of the world, others I don't.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8

"you're cute, you're a gentleman, funny, great personality you've got loads going for you." If a girl says that to you, you're in trouble. Fix up, before its too late
Reply 9
Original post by RooshVee
"you're cute, you're a gentleman, funny, great personality you've got loads going for you." If a girl says that to you, you're in trouble. Fix up, before its too late

What does that mean?
Get tinder that might help you

There goes the problem right there. No one can ever put a value on you higher than you put on yourself
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Get tinder that might help you

I've tried it already

Keep going man don't give up. You have to learn to appreciate yourself first before others can. Don't take it past rejections as anything personal, more that the other party felt there was no connection, & keep being yourself! Chin up, keeping putting yourself out there, grow from each experience & hopefully everything will fall into place very soon! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest