The Student Room Group

What jobs should I even be applying for with an Arts degree?

I recently graduated with a degree in an Arts subject yet I feel that I'm basically not qualified for anything other than the most basic entry level positions.

I am reluctant to apply for basic jobs like a sales assistant or shelf-stacking in a supermarket, etc, because I think, perhaps arrogantly, that those roles are beneath my level of education as a graduate.

However, I feel that I'm simply not qualified for higher level roles like Assistant Manager or Management positions and that to apply for such jobs would be a waste of time as I suspect I would probably not even hear anything back.

Basically, what type of jobs should I be applying for as a graduate in an Arts subject but with not much in the way of previous work experience?

Should I be applying for higher level supervisory and management roles and hope to get lucky at some point, or should I be more realistic and just go for entry level positions and work my way up as it were?

However, what annoys me about the idea of applying for entry level positions is that I could have applied for them without a degree, so to apply for jobs like that just seems like a waste of my degree.
Why don't you get teacher training and become an art teacher?
What did you exactly have in mind to work as when you first decided to pursue an arts degree?
You can get a job kissing the feet of STEM graduates and letting them shag your girlfriend/wife.
You go for the entry positions. Your reluctance to apply for the basic jobs is, quite frankly, disgusting. A piece of paper with a grade on it does not entitle you to a high level job.

You have fallen into the trap that has caught a significant number of graduates - being too lazy to try and find work experience while still at uni.

As for wasting your degree, you should have thought of this before you went to uni. Again, this is what a lot of unmotivated graduates face - ending up in a job they could have just got after their GCSEs.
Original post by #ChaosKass
You go for the entry positions. Your reluctance to apply for the basic jobs is, quite frankly, disgusting. A piece of paper with a grade on it does not entitle you to a high level job.

You have fallen into the trap that has caught a significant number of graduates - being too lazy to try and find work experience while still at uni.

As for wasting your degree, you should have thought of this before you went to uni. Again, this is what a lot of unmotivated graduates face - ending up in a job they could have just got after their GCSEs.

you really shouldn't lump every undergrad/current uni student as a lazy student thinking only of the here and now. There are lot of us that are mature students with 'life experience' already and wont make the same mistakes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
I recently graduated with a degree in an Arts subject yet I feel that I'm basically not qualified for anything other than the most basic entry level positions.

I am reluctant to apply for basic jobs like a sales assistant or shelf-stacking in a supermarket, etc, because I think, perhaps arrogantly, that those roles are beneath my level of education as a graduate.

However, I feel that I'm simply not qualified for higher level roles like Assistant Manager or Management positions and that to apply for such jobs would be a waste of time as I suspect I would probably not even hear anything back.

Basically, what type of jobs should I be applying for as a graduate in an Arts subject but with not much in the way of previous work experience?

Should I be applying for higher level supervisory and management roles and hope to get lucky at some point, or should I be more realistic and just go for entry level positions and work my way up as it were?

However, what annoys me about the idea of applying for entry level positions is that I could have applied for them without a degree, so to apply for jobs like that just seems like a waste of my degree.

Another 'I am a (disillusioned) graduate I deserve a 100k paying job.' Nothing new here then.

You have to get experience rather than experience comes to you. Some people have to start somewhere to get a job and thats why entry level positions are the most suitable way to get that experience. Employers want some proof of skills and qualities not just a fancy degree from an RG university as there are so many people on the same boat.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sketchymofo2
you really shouldn't lump every undergrad/current uni student as a lazy student thinking only of the here and now. There are lot of us that are mature students with 'life experience' already and wont make the same mistakes.

I didn't say all students, there is a small minority that are actually sensible and go out looking for experience and internships.

And yes, mature students are a lot less likely to fall into the lazy majority.
Original post by TobaccoSmoke

You are qualified for any entry level general grad job and literally any other entry level job - like all graduates are.

LOOOL at the bit in bold, there are people with PhDs in those jobs you scoff at. You're really in no position to pick and choose what you want to apply to without any experience.

Obviously, do you have any management experience? No, tough cookies.

Grad schemes, entry level jobs, retail/care stuff, teacher training.. Be more specific in where your interests lie, most of the employers in the graduate market couldn't care less what degree you have.

No you have no experience.

Should have been more switched whilst at uni and landed a place on a grad scheme, life is tough, deal with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
What work experience do you have?
Original post by Princepieman
You are qualified for any entry level general grad job and literally any other entry level job - like all graduates are.

LOOOL at the bit in bold, there are people with PhDs in those jobs you scoff at. You're really in no position to pick and choose what you want to apply to without any experience.

Obviously, do you have any management experience? No, tough cookies.

Grad schemes, entry level jobs, retail/care stuff, teacher training.. Be more specific in where your interests lie, most of the employers in the graduate market couldn't care less what degree you have.

No you have no experience.

Should have been more switched whilst at uni and landed a place on a grad scheme, life is tough, deal with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Ladbants
What work experience do you have?

OP (and other disillusioned graduates) will often find that pay is 'dependent on experience' rather than just general qualifications and high classifications from their degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending