The Student Room Group

Applying AS but reapplying with A2, results and cambridge?

First I had received quite bad AS results, it seems due to legibility as my handwriting coming up to the exams was quite horrid(worse than during the rest of the year).
ABCC
Where A is CS (the course I'm applying for)
B in maths
C in physics
C in chemistry
(I have also fixed my handwriting issues and finished C3/C4 over the holidays)
I'm well certain I can get the required grades at A2, I did in fact not have any difficulty with AS (despite my AS results) I'm having my AS results remarked(very expensive) but sending my application anyways. I was predicted to get an AAAA.

If I apply with my AS results I believe I won't receive an offer from Cambridge and I'm not quite sure as to what to do about it. So I'm wondering if I am able to apply at A2 again after having applied with AS provided I get A*A*A*A/A*A*A*A* would they would accept me as an applicant?
(I'm still planning to take CSAT and STEP papers if that changes anything)
(yes having modules remarked and probably retaking those I don't have enough fund to remark)
My physics and chemistry don't count till A2 but I'm remarking one of them anyways.

What Is the exact course of action to take to still guarantee a chance at Cambridge?
If you get A*A*A*A then there is a chance. However, you'd have to take a gap year and Cambridge don't like that. Unless you actually do something pretty good then they'll look unfavourably upon that. I think (though this might not help at all) you should take CSAT (this is STEP for computing no?) and STEP in your gap year as well to illustrate that you haven't lost your skills over your gap year (main reason unis don't like them).

Do you think you really are Cambridge material? I don't mean this as an insult - 99.9% of us aren't. However, if you're getting a B in AS maths then do you think you have what it takes to go to Cambridge? Have you looked at STEP and CSAT? I cant speak for CSAT but STEP is not like A level maths - its a whole new level of challenge which requires creative thinking and adaptability.

I ask this because if you took a gap year with your heart set on Cambridge but then failed in an interview (I presume they do interviews but idk) or in STEP you might regret it and you should still be able to apply for a very good Russel group university with your grades.
Reply 2
Original post by Marked Target
If you get A*A*A*A then there is a chance. However, you'd have to take a gap year and Cambridge don't like that. Unless you actually do something pretty good then they'll look unfavourably upon that. I think (though this might not help at all) you should take CSAT (this is STEP for computing no?) and STEP in your gap year as well to illustrate that you haven't lost your skills over your gap year (main reason unis don't like them).

Do you think you really are Cambridge material? I don't mean this as an insult - 99.9% of us aren't. However, if you're getting a B in AS maths then do you think you have what it takes to go to Cambridge? Have you looked at STEP and CSAT? I cant speak for CSAT but STEP is not like A level maths - its a whole new level of challenge which requires creative thinking and adaptability.

I ask this because if you took a gap year with your heart set on Cambridge but then failed in an interview (I presume they do interviews but idk) or in STEP you might regret it and you should still be able to apply for a very good Russel group university with your grades.

I was getting full marks in maths papers and haven't found them hard also done some further maths papers with full marks on them. The issue is that a gap year is sort of ...... the idea of losing a year just for the sake of applying is even making me not like a gap year.

I was predicted 4 A's for AS, and was told by my teacher that he would be certain I should get an A* at A level.
I have also done some STEP paper questions. Some STEP questions are indeed harder than others but I'm far better at adapting and creative thinking than anything else and it's fun. As I am applying for Computer Science I naturally have majority of my knowledge on that specialized.

My AS grades were certainly not due to any lack of knowledge present, that much I am confident about. The only subject which I thought I had messed up a little more on was chemistry as I had realized I misread a question.
Needless to say my UMS marks for maths spiked here and there to an unbelieveable result. Specifically to say I have an A in C1/C2 but a low U in D1 (which is easy I found it very very easy) never ever had a past paper close to that low since starting D1.

I don't think I will be taking a gap year but I doubt Cambridge will consider me if I do well in STEP and CSAT after not giving an offer.
Cambridge wouldn't give you an offer as it stands. I don't mean to be blunt but i simply don't see it happening. ABCC at AS isn't enough.

If you came out of A2 with A*A*A*A then your A levels would not be a factor in you getting in (I mean, really, how could they be?). However, you would have to take a gap year - Cambridge don't do clearing so they wont take you without giving an offer.

Kind of a dick move of your teacher to go "I'm predicting you an A because I'm certain you'll get an A*.", I mean, wth?

Also, D1 is all about technique. Nobody finds D1 hard. (seriously, who can't put numbers in order of largest to smallest?) However, its a **** exam. I hated D1 more than any other module because its just awful. It was also my worst module with 86 UMS.
Reply 4
Original post by Marked Target
Cambridge wouldn't give you an offer as it stands. I don't mean to be blunt but i simply don't see it happening. ABCC at AS isn't enough.

If you came out of A2 with A*A*A*A then your A levels would not be a factor in you getting in (I mean, really, how could they be?). However, you would have to take a gap year - Cambridge don't do clearing so they wont take you without giving an offer.

Kind of a dick move of your teacher to go "I'm predicting you an A because I'm certain you'll get an A*.", I mean, wth?

Also, D1 is all about technique. Nobody finds D1 hard. (seriously, who can't put numbers in order of largest to smallest?) However, its a **** exam. I hated D1 more than any other module because its just awful. It was also my worst module with 86 UMS.

That is true, i probably won't take a gap year though even if it meant getting into Cambridge..

As for being predicted an A at AS it is because i had only shown A's in class tests and seemed to put in a lot of work.Additionally I enjoy the subjects I'm taking, so I show enthusiasm.Certain "provided i put in the same effort as I have for the next year" are the more precise words.

Even if D1 is about technique my UMS is so low that you could sit half asleep and guess some answers and still get higher writing only answers. (I'm remarking it anyways) but past papers were certainly much higher even when checked by teachers. Right now theres not much I can do other than wait for a remark it seems.
Thank you for your help.
Reply 5
Original post by Vanetti
I was getting full marks in maths papers and haven't found them hard also done some further maths papers with full marks on them. The issue is that a gap year is sort of ...... the idea of losing a year just for the sake of applying is even making me not like a gap year.

I was predicted 4 A's for AS, and was told by my teacher that he would be certain I should get an A* at A level.
I have also done some STEP paper questions. Some STEP questions are indeed harder than others but I'm far better at adapting and creative thinking than anything else and it's fun. As I am applying for Computer Science I naturally have majority of my knowledge on that specialized.

My AS grades were certainly not due to any lack of knowledge present, that much I am confident about. The only subject which I thought I had messed up a little more on was chemistry as I had realized I misread a question.
Needless to say my UMS marks for maths spiked here and there to an unbelieveable result. Specifically to say I have an A in C1/C2 but a low U in D1 (which is easy I found it very very easy) never ever had a past paper close to that low since starting D1.

I don't think I will be taking a gap year but I doubt Cambridge will consider me if I do well in STEP and CSAT after not giving an offer.

Unfortunately you are extremely unlikely to be successful applying with your AS grades..

But if you apply post A-level with A*A*A*+ you will be guaranteed an Interview. And having a good grade (1+) in STEP I will help too and would make an unconditional offer reasonably likely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
no offence but ur handwriting in maths does not matter at all, my numbers are barely legible and i come out fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending