The Student Room Group

ukcat stress

Im currently using medify and just got 630 average and band 1 in a mock. I think i need to use flagging more to help with timing, but any other advice on how to get my score up would be really welcome? I have 9A*sAB at GCSE, AAAA at AS and predicted A*A*A at A2. Have my UKCAT in 2 days!!! Could anyone tell me what unis are very 'UKCAT heavy' in terms of their requirements, and what kind of score is needed for them??? Thanks :smile:
Hi :smile: firstly, try not to stress and be confident! (easier said than done but, you know, TRY.) Don't think about unis before the exam, as it's really hard to predict how you're going to do on the day and any planning is probably going to be quite useless. After it, you can find some info about how unis use the UKCAT from this site: https://www.google.fi/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiPlsjhxOjOAhVHkiwKHVwRArEQFggsMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ukcat.ac.uk%2FApp_Media%2Fuploads%2Fpdf%2FUsing%2520my%25202016%2520UKCAT%2520Result.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEAcj1hDtmHnAiCO7MZ8VJMS-jzug&sig2=diEjl3mJYjh4MVK2gkiXng

I can't stress enough how important it is to learn when to move on. In VR, I knew certain texts would take me longer than others (engineering and politics for me), so I guessed my way through them. In QR I did the same thing for data that was either too complicated or that would take ages to calculate even though it was fairly simple. In AR I decided that if I saw a pattern, I would just run with it instead of trying to find something more in the same set, and if I didn't see one after, say, 30 seconds, I'd just move on. Good luck!
Original post by StationToStation
Hi :smile: firstly, try not to stress and be confident! (easier said than done but, you know, TRY.) Don't think about unis before the exam, as it's really hard to predict how you're going to do on the day and any planning is probably going to be quite useless. After it, you can find some info about how unis use the UKCAT from this site: https://www.google.fi/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiPlsjhxOjOAhVHkiwKHVwRArEQFggsMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ukcat.ac.uk%2FApp_Media%2Fuploads%2Fpdf%2FUsing%2520my%25202016%2520UKCAT%2520Result.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEAcj1hDtmHnAiCO7MZ8VJMS-jzug&sig2=diEjl3mJYjh4MVK2gkiXng

I can't stress enough how important it is to learn when to move on. In VR, I knew certain texts would take me longer than others (engineering and politics for me), so I guessed my way through them. In QR I did the same thing for data that was either too complicated or that would take ages to calculate even though it was fairly simple. In AR I decided that if I saw a pattern, I would just run with it instead of trying to find something more in the same set, and if I didn't see one after, say, 30 seconds, I'd just move on. Good luck!

Thanks so much for replying so quickly! First time using TSR so wasnt expecting anyone to get back. Your advice and the link you sent is really helpful, thanks so much. I really need (over today and tomorrow) to get into a habit of skipping,flagging and moving on. I wasted so much time in my mocks on the start of VR and QR that i ended up rapidly guessing at the end. I'll keep at it, thanks!!
Original post by dwightkurtshrute
Thanks so much for replying so quickly! First time using TSR so wasnt expecting anyone to get back. Your advice and the link you sent is really helpful, thanks so much. I really need (over today and tomorrow) to get into a habit of skipping,flagging and moving on. I wasted so much time in my mocks on the start of VR and QR that i ended up rapidly guessing at the end. I'll keep at it, thanks!!

Glad I could help!
Reply 4
Hey, don't panic! You'll probably do much better in the real test, but even if you don't then you have great stats for GCSE heavy med schools (Cardiff, for example). Have you considered doing the BMAT to give yourself more options?
Original post by Ezme39
Hey, don't panic! You'll probably do much better in the real test, but even if you don't then you have great stats for GCSE heavy med schools (Cardiff, for example). Have you considered doing the BMAT to give yourself more options?

hope i will! cracking into the mocks offered on the official UKCAT website now in preparation for tomorrow. Had given it some thought, but am doing the HPAT instead as i am going to apply to the south of Ireland to give myself more options on their application system, CAO. I live in Northern Ireland, so those universities are home away from home, their requirements are extremely high however. Thanks for your advice, just hoping ive put enough work in!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending