The Student Room Group

A single mum keeps hinting we go out for a drink

Scroll to see replies

Nothing is wrong with a potential partner being a single mum. However you do have the establish boundaries fairly early on. For example making sure you're not involved in the kids life too early when the relationship isn't extremely serious. It's not so much for either of your sakes, more the kids.

I know too many girls, who while being lovely girls, get their new BF's too involved with the kids too early. Must be hella confusing for the child.
Original post by Zeeiqbal
Nope, I'm not a single mother but I can understand as my own sister is a single mum who is divorced and always gets judged by society just because she's been divorced. She hasn't moved on after her divorce.. hope that explains why I understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I understand completely now
Original post by DanB1991
Nothing is wrong with a potential partner being a single mum. However you do have the establish boundaries fairly early on. For example making sure you're not involved in the kids life too early when the relationship isn't extremely serious. It's not so much for either of your sakes, more the kids.

I know too many girls, who while being lovely girls, get their new BF's too involved with the kids too early. Must be hella confusing for the child.

Exactly I dont personally know any girls like that but I have so many mates who wind up playing step dad for a random bird's egg when he just wanted to shag. She would be desperate like the real dad did a legger so now her hunting skills go way up for the sole purpose of emotional security for herself. That is not healthy at all.
Original post by DanB1991

If I did agree to go for a drink with her this is definitely something I'd have to clarify with her. I'm not looking for a relationship id just want to take things slowly.
Original post by 0to100
Exactly I dont personally know any girls like that but I have so many mates who wind up playing step dad for a random bird's egg when he just wanted to shag. She would be desperate like the real dad did a legger so now her hunting skills go way up for the sole purpose of emotional security for herself. That is not healthy at all.

So do you think I should stay well away?
Original post by Anonymous
So do you think I should stay well away?

Is her having a child a problem for you? If so, stay away

It'll only hurt her
Original post by A-LJLB
Is her having a child a problem for you? If so, stay away

It'll only hurt her

I don't know if it is a problem
If I did agree to go for a drink with her this is definitely something I'd have to clarify with her. I'm not looking for a relationship id just want to take things slowly.

Surely at the 'going for a drink' stage, that's a tad early? :lol:
Go have a drink with her, and give her another kid
Original post by 999tigger
Shes hinting you go for a drink and not to become the kids father.

You're such a rational poster. How old are you?
Reply 50
Original post by A-LJLB
Kids aren't baggage, if you think that then say no as she can do better.
If you can overcome it, then just see how things go, you don't have to spend the rest of your life with her

Lol they're clearly baggage if they ain't your own and you aren't ready to commit to a person for the rest of your life yet. He probably ain't ready to have kids of his own let alone potentially take care of a kid that's not his.

Basically he finds a single mum with a 3 month old kid attractive. I'm pretty sure he will go out for a drink and not be able to get past the fact she has a kid.

This is obviously assuming that she is having drinks to establish a relationship, it could just be that she wants to catch up.
try not to involve yourself with a single mum, its probably best you don't raise their kid. its fine in later life when the kids are grown up, but you will never be the dad.
Stay away. Kids are baggage

That may be harsh but it's true.
Reply 53
Also watch 'About a Boy' for the definitive guidance on dating single mums
(edited 7 years ago)
To be fair you can just go ..there's no harm.

Going out with someone doesn't mean you're stuck with them for life...you could end up being friends or whatever, I don't understand why everyone on here is crying their eyes out?

Male or female just because someone has a kid (and single) doesn't mean you need to run a mile? They are human too, no?
Original post by A-LJLB
Kids aren't baggage, if you think that then say no as she can do better.
If you can overcome it, then just see how things go, you don't have to spend the rest of your life with her

Yes they are baggage. Extra baggage(which isn't the OP) that he has to deal with.
A girl who I used to go to school with added me on Facebook a few weeks ago, we never really spoke when we where at high school but I accepted her friend request anyway. From talking to her I found out that she's a single mum (the kid is only 3 months old). She's hinting that me and her go out for a drink, I don't really know her that well and I think the fact that she's a single mum is putting me off a bit. But then again I haven't had much luck with women lately and I'm contemplating whether I should go for a drink with her. What do you think I should do?

I acc know someone that is in a similar situation, the only difference is that the girl has two babies. Both with different fathers. So this girl shes really pretty used to go to my church then she left and now after 4 years she decided to start talking with this guy i know. And clearly shes looking for a father for her children. But he still went along with it they are together at the moment and most people are agaisnt their relationship because she's clearly looking for something from him its not like she acc likes him. He also accepted quickly because he was desperate.

I think that you could meet her but i think her intentions are very clear because it is not normal that someone that just had a baby is looking for a partner already so quickly. I dont know but this doesnt sound good at all. But go for a drink and see what happens.
Reply 57
It's a drink, go for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I acc know someone that is in a similar situation, the only difference is that the girl has two babies. Both with different fathers. So this girl shes really pretty used to go to my church then she left and now after 4 years she decided to start talking with this guy i know. And clearly shes looking for a father for her children. But he still went along with it they are together at the moment and most people are agaisnt their relationship because she's clearly looking for something from him its not like she acc likes him. He also accepted quickly because he was desperate.

I think that you could meet her but i think her intentions are very clear because it is not normal that someone that just had a baby is looking for a partner already so quickly. I dont know but this doesnt sound good at all. But go for a drink and see what happens.

My best friend has warned me that he thinks its odd that she's recently only had the baby and is already potentially looking for a partner, but then again I think to myself if it's only a drink surely there's no harm in going.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending