The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AdeptDz
A-Levl tips
-When you do past papers make sure you happy with what you are getting and look to see an improvement over time. If not revise more and learn from your mistakes.

-Tick off the specification to make sure you've learnt everything and nothing should shock you.

-Try and be able to answer every question on all the past papers.. Aim for 100 so you get higher than if you aimed for like 80 or 90.

-Also once you go through past papers do questions from other papers (Solomon papers etc. Or other exam boards with the same topics) on every topic you learnt for a bit then go back to past papers when you've forgotten the answers.

-Try and do all past papers at least twice.

-Start revising from the beginning and go over what you learn in every lesson

-Go over every topic atleast 3 times

-Keep track of what you get on past papers and make sure you meet your target.

-On your second attempt on the past papers make sure you see an improvement from the first attempt and so on.

-Focus on your weaker subjects when you have got your important subjects to where you want.

-Ask the teacher for extra homework and questions.

-If there is something you don't know ask the teacher straight away, or write it down and ask at the end.

-Treat your mocks like the real thing

-Always do more than is required if you are aiming for the best (which you should be).

-Don't get frustrated if you don't get something, watch YouTube videos on it, ask your teacher then attempt some questions.

-Take your time and do not rush things, make sure you understand everything you are doing.

-it's better to understand how to do something than just know how to do it

Try and understand it and you will remember it easier.

-Never give up

-If you get bored take a break

-Don't neglect subjects

-Always think you will pass, think positively.

-Nothing is impossible, you can get straight As, if x can why can't you? Just work as hard as you need to

-What you put in, is what you get it.

-Make sure you pick right subjects, if you know what you want to do check the entry requirements.

-Find something to motivate you, dream career? Uni? Making parents proud?

-Try and want to revise, it shouldn't be something you have to do.

-Help others out if they need it, it reinforces your memory and maybe they'll help you in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, thank you so much. I needed these tips so much! :smile: I can't wait for A-levels!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Waveyalex
Guys some opinions would appreciated
What A level would be a better choice between government and politics or business ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I'm doing government and politics as well as math and physics. I really enjoy keeping up with current affairs and the politics of the world. It depends if you are interested in keeping up with the news and the like then you should go for it. I don't really know much about business so i can't really comment on that. :smile:
Original post by lucy Jane.f
I got 279 UMS in edexcel additional science. does anyone know how many raw marks I was off an A*?

288=A*
I got 287 in my physics so I'm defo getting all papers remarked
Original post by TSlayerr
288=A*
I got 287 in my physics so I'm defo getting all papers remarked

Lmao, costly. But it's like almost guaranteed that you will move the grade up unless your original examiner was too generous. If that's the case, that'll be pisstaking lol all money gone to waste. I'm also remarking my chemistry papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pedrex
No problem:smile: . Thank you! I always do try my best, and hopefully will do fine. Thanks so much for the encouragement! I wish i had a friend like you:h:. Yeah that makes a lot of sense, the more mature you get the easier it is. Also doesn't help im one of the youngest in the year! I wish i was in year 11 next year, be a lot more fair haha.......just one thing bringing me down, i talk to my friend's about doing English Literature and they all laugh and say i shouldn't. Im confused what to do, everyone says im good at English but are them friends right?

sorry for a really late reply (or if anyone else has answered), i've been busy with enrolling in college and figuring out which a levels i should do! when i got there they told me i should take four and i was very surprised, still haven't decided what to do and i have to confirm it tomorrow :afraid: i was also one of the youngest in my year, so i've always wondered if that put me at a disadvantage! (got the best grades in the class in science though so maybe not haha)

your friends sound really unsupportive of your aspirations tbh!! if you're interested in english lit and you want to take the course, you should absolutely do it! honestly i don't even understand why people would make fun of someone for what a levels they want to take. my best friend's taking english lit, media studies and french, while i'm taking maths and physics (and probably further maths too but i'm considering chemistry so i'm not sure)! we're total opposites when it comes to our a level subjects, but we totally understand that everyone has different interests and we don't judge each other for that! it's very unlikely that you and all of your friends are going to take the all of the exact same a levels together, and that should be 100% fine and they shouldn't be judging you for your choices! honestly they sound like pretty bad friends to say things like that.

think about it like this: your a level choices are yours to make, and you should choose what you want and what you're interested in. i know peer pressure can be hard but please don't make life changing decisions based on what your 'friends' want you to do. your a levels determine what courses you can take at uni, so they're very important if you're considering going to uni in the future. even if you aren't, you'll spend the next two years taking your a levels (unless you drop out) so please don't spend the next two years being miserable and doing what your 'friends' want you to do - please enjoy the next two years and follow what you love!

also, you'll no doubt make a lot of new friends in the a level subjects you take! if you choose to do english lit, you'll meet new people who also enjoy english lit and who clearly won't make fun of you for it as they'd be taking the same a level as you.

i hope everything goes well for you! :h:
I'm leaving this thread now guys! I'm over on the year 12 one though! Every time I read through this, I end up upset about my results! Well done to you all. You should all be incredibly proud, not just of your grades, but of the work you put in. I'm proud of everyone of you

Posted from TSR Mobile
omg can you help me with my latin I honestly suck

Original post by Eleanorroseford
I got an A* in Latin language😋
It appears this thread is slowly slowing down, thanks for the fun and the countdown race every night! See you on a level forums no doubt
Original post by Marcus2016
It appears this thread is slowly slowing down, thanks for the fun and the countdown race every night! See you on a level forums no doubt

It has been fun. I'll miss this thread but I'll see you on the A-Levels forum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by romansholiday
How did you do in your GCSEs in the end?:lol:

Average. 2As, 5Bs, 3Cs.

A in Maths and English Lit though. Bs in Core and Additional Science, Computer Science, Business (1 mark off an A). and Geography. Cs in R.E., English Language (1 mark off a B) and Spanish.

In English Language, everyone's coursework mark was reduced because my school was too lenient; I went from a B to a C.
Original post by kgbenett
sorry for a really late reply (or if anyone else has answered), i've been busy with enrolling in college and figuring out which a levels i should do! when i got there they told me i should take four and i was very surprised, still haven't decided what to do and i have to confirm it tomorrow :afraid: i was also one of the youngest in my year, so i've always wondered if that put me at a disadvantage! (got the best grades in the class in science though so maybe not haha)

your friends sound really unsupportive of your aspirations tbh!! if you're interested in english lit and you want to take the course, you should absolutely do it! honestly i don't even understand why people would make fun of someone for what a levels they want to take. my best friend's taking english lit, media studies and french, while i'm taking maths and physics (and probably further maths too but i'm considering chemistry so i'm not sure)! we're total opposites when it comes to our a level subjects, but we totally understand that everyone has different interests and we don't judge each other for that! it's very unlikely that you and all of your friends are going to take the all of the exact same a levels together, and that should be 100% fine and they shouldn't be judging you for your choices! honestly they sound like pretty bad friends to say things like that.

think about it like this: your a level choices are yours to make, and you should choose what you want and what you're interested in. i know peer pressure can be hard but please don't make life changing decisions based on what your 'friends' want you to do. your a levels determine what courses you can take at uni, so they're very important if you're considering going to uni in the future. even if you aren't, you'll spend the next two years taking your a levels (unless you drop out) so please don't spend the next two years being miserable and doing what your 'friends' want you to do - please enjoy the next two years and follow what you love!

also, you'll no doubt make a lot of new friends in the a level subjects you take! if you choose to do english lit, you'll meet new people who also enjoy english lit and who clearly won't make fun of you for it as they'd be taking the same a level as you.

i hope everything goes well for you! :h:

It's ok i don't mind when you reply!:smile: and nah no one else has replied ( i don't think anyway.) Sorry about you not knowing what A Levels to do, i hope it all ends up ok, im sure you are going to make the right choices, don't worry! Though don't you do the same as what you did for your AS Levels??.

Yeah they shouldn't and they aren't really the best friends in the way, but from what you have said im going to do what is best for me and ignore what they say. Thanks so much for the support and the time and effort you put into helping me😃!! You didn't have to do this if you have your own problems, i appreciate it a lot. Im going to enjoy taking A levels and your right, I'll make new friends and better ones as they are going to be doing the same a levels as i am. You've filled me with so much more confidence, thank you!!!:h:

Hope everything turns out ok for you and good luck making the right choices tomorrow :smile:!!
Does anyone know where the new year 12 forum is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pedrex
It's ok i don't mind when you reply!:smile: and nah no one else has replied ( i don't think anyway.) Sorry about you not knowing what A Levels to do, i hope it all ends up ok, im sure you are going to make the right choices, don't worry! Though don't you do the same as what you did for your AS Levels??.

Yeah they shouldn't and they aren't really the best friends in the way, but from what you have said im going to do what is best for me and ignore what they say. Thanks so much for the support and the time and effort you put into helping me😃!! You didn't have to do this if you have your own problems, i appreciate it a lot. Im going to enjoy taking A levels and your right, I'll make new friends and better ones as they are going to be doing the same a levels as i am. You've filled me with so much more confidence, thank you!!!:h:

Hope everything turns out ok for you and good luck making the right choices tomorrow :smile:!!

thanks for the support !! i think i've decided to just take maths, further maths, and physics - even though they say that could be risky in case further maths doesn't work out, i'm going to put in as much effort as possible into getting the best grades i can. if that doesn't work then i really don't think taking an A level in chemistry (something i'm not as good at and also not really interested in) would have saved me, to be honest! also, i haven't started my AS levels yet! i just meant that i was choosing my A levels because i'm choosing three full A levels and no AS levels to take. i'm starting on the 8th though :s-smilie:

i'm so glad you're doing what you really want to instead of what your friends want you to do! i'm sure you'll be a lot happier this way, and i hope you really enjoy studying english! :h: also, it's really no problem - all i've been doing for the past few days is thinking about my options and (mostly) messing around on the internet wasting time haha, so i'm not really using up any time helping you out! even if i was, it'd be worth it to help you figure out something so important to you :h: i feel like a lot of people are probably stressing about their A levels atm so i'm glad i can help you feel better about everything!
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Average. 2As, 5Bs, 3Cs.

A in Maths and English Lit though. Bs in Core and Additional Science, Computer Science, Business (1 mark off an A). and Geography. Cs in R.E., English Language (1 mark off a B) and Spanish.

In English Language, everyone's coursework mark was reduced because my school was too lenient; I went from a B to a C.

The English Language coursework was the same with our school I think, my coursework was on A*s/As and it got reduced to a B, so my final grade was reduced to a B which was a bit annoying seeing as it was my only B and the rest of my subjects were A/A*...

Congratulations on your results :smile:
5A*/3A/2B - meh, could have done better

then again what can i expect from only starting revision 2 weeks before exams, and even then, heavily relying on 'the night before'
Original post by Mayhem™
5A*/3A/2B - meh, could have done better

then again what can i expect from only starting revision 2 weeks before exams, and even then, heavily relying on 'the night before'

They're an incredible set of results! 5 A*s jeez congratulations! :smile:

"the night before" revision struggle is REAL though my god I left some of my revision way to late...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by thepewds_
I'm really panicking now... I really don't want to disappoint anyone, including myself, since I set such high expectations of myself. I am inherently pessimistic which doesn't help...
:frown:

hey what did you get ?
Original post by nisha.sri
hey what did you get ?

Well I did two GCSEs as I sat those in year 10 and I got A*A in RS and Psychology. I'm getting Psychology remarked though. What did you get? :smile:

Latest