The Student Room Group

Anyone get bad results at AS but mint results at A2??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NimcoA
Thank you for this post, it cheered me up especially since I've been feeling really down lately, this has motivated me as i really didn't know how i could go into A2 and continue working hard knowing that i had worked really hard in yr12. This post means a lot.. thank you

Bless you! I'm just really glad it's motivated you :smile: Please never give up, cos if it didn't succeed the first time around it doesn't mean that it won't the next time, you'll never know! Just keep putting in the work and the willpower and constantly evaluate where you're likely to have fallen short in and improve on that. Once you've set your mind to succeed, you're already on the way, fight for it! :smile:
Original post by yungggnike
How did you apply to oxford with ABC ? Also do you have any tips on writing personal statement. also congratulatons on getting into oxford thats amazing

Hey thank you! :smile: The other aspects of my application must have made up for it, and my teachers explained in the reference that the B and C didn't reflect my true potential and that I will resit my exams and achieve the required grades.

As for PS, unis only look for these things: whether or not you know EXACTLY what you're applying for and what you're dedicating yourself into (e.g. if a psychology applicant says psychology is about mind-reading, or is all about disorders, or personality tests =.= then he/she clearly doesn't know the subject); whether you have the passion/motivation and are ready and prepared to dedicate yourself into a 3-years course (here's where you throw in your wider reading/research/fields of interest to show that you've been sticking with it); whether or not you as a person have the qualities to study that subject, this would be more important for vocational subjects. Anything else is redundant so make sure your PS is mainly academic cos you don't go into uni to play or join ECAs but to study, that's the main objective. Also, you need to show your personality! They're probably already getting sick having read like hundreds of standard, formulated PS's saying all of the same things (or putting all of the same books down that the students claim they've read) by the time they get to yours. So it'd be delightful to see something refreshing with a kick of your personality in it. I personally wrote a very quirky PS. It's a 'personal' statement so think out of the box and let your individuality shine.
(edited 7 years ago)
BBCCC at AS to A*AB at a2

Posted from TSR Mobile
BBCC in AS to AAAB at A2, did some resits during my A2 year and now off to Warwick!
Original post by fkaclocksx
BBCCC at AS to A*AB at a2
Posted from TSR Mobile

Any tips and advice?
Original post by MoonVirgo
Hey thank you! :smile: The other aspects of my application must have made up for it, and my teachers explained in the reference that the B and C didn't reflect my true potential and that I will resit my exams and achieve the required grades.

As for PS, unis only look for these things: whether or not you know EXACTLY what you're applying for and what you're dedicating yourself into (e.g. if a psychology applicant says psychology is about mind-reading, or is all about disorders, or personality tests =.= then he/she clearly doesn't know the subject); whether you have the passion/motivation and are ready and prepared to dedicate yourself into a 3-years course (here's where you throw in your wider reading/research/fields of interest to show that you've been sticking with it); whether or not you as a person have the qualities to study that subject, this would be more important for vocational subjects. Anything else is redundant so make sure your PS is mainly academic cos you don't go into uni to play or join ECAs but to study, that's the main objective. Also, you need to show your personality! They're probably already getting sick having read like hundreds of standard, formulated PS's saying all of the same things (or putting all of the same books down that the students claim they've read) by the time they get to yours. So it'd be delightful to see something refreshing with a kick of your personality in it. I personally wrote a very quirky PS. It's a 'personal' statement so think out of the box and let your individuality shine.

Hi. How did you convince your teachers to boost your predicted grades?
Original post by Sanniabir
Hi. How did you convince your teachers to boost your predicted grades?

I was in a similar scenario with a B and C in Bio and Chem, where I needed A's for dental schools to even look at my application. It's a mix of your teacher truly believing you can do it, and them knowing you just had a bad exam, and also a lot of begging. That's how it was for me anyway.

EDIT: I'd also recommend showing that you're doing really well with A2, answering questions, handing in good quality homework, doing well in unit tests etc. That seemed to be a good convincer for my teachers to bump my predicted grades up, because they made the point that my "renewed, focused attitude" to the A2 courses were indicative of me doing well in my resits and overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
BBCC in AS to AAAB at A2, did some resits during my A2 year and now off to Warwick!

What predicted grades did you apply to Warwick with?
Any tips on getting a B in AS Maths up to an A overall? What textbooks are good? (OCR)

Thanks!
Original post by DarkEnergy
Any tips on getting a B in AS Maths up to an A overall? What textbooks are good? (OCR)

Thanks!

Just resit C1 and C2 and get close to 100 ums and then at A2 you only need Bs. Not sure about books but PhysicsandMathstutor.com is good for focusing on specific topics.
Original post by RomeoSantos
Just resit C1 and C2 and get close to 100 ums and then at A2 you only need Bs. Not sure about books but PhysicsandMathstutor.com is good for focusing on specific topics.

Thank you! Does C1 & C2 get a lot easier once you do C3 & C4?
I got BBCD at AS level, and got A*BB at A2.

Yes, surprisingly so actually. You still have to work on C1 and C2 though.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Yes, surprisingly so actually. You still have to work on C1 and C2 though.

Cheers. Did you resit C1 & C2? If so, how much preparation did you do for it throughout the year?
Cheers. Did you resit C1 & C2? If so, how much preparation did you do for it throughout the year?

I resat C2, got 70 the first time and 83 the second time. I did about 2 weeks of revision of C2. I would recommend you do more than me, but it is a lot easier the second time around.

I studied a lot more for M1. I got 38 first year, and 91 the second year, my highest module.
(edited 7 years ago)

yes way easier. Only will probably have to look over circles on C1 and a couple topics on C2 (I can't remember what they're called) but when you go to revise them again they'll seem so easy.
I got 72 and 60 ums on C1 and C2 first year and 98 and 95 second year.
Original post by RomeoSantos
(..)

Original post by TercioOfParma
(..)

Thank you both so much for your replies!
AS BBBB Bio,Chem,Phy,Maths respectively, ALL AQA

Retook making AS BAA Bio,Chem,Maths respectively

predicted: AAA

A2 AAA* Bio,Chem,Maths respectively

overall AAA* Bio,Chem,Maths

How to improve:
Bio: Do all PP twice over close to exam, learn ms answers, goto other specs, goto other exam boards
Chem: Do all PP twice over close to exam, learn ms answers, goto other specs, goto other exam boards
Maths: Do all papers except the year closest to you, Do all PP multiples times gradually through the year and twice over close to exam, goto other specs, goto other exam boards, I used Solomon, I knew AQA would make the 2016 papers hard so I thought why not master the hard papers, solomon are the key to success, they are found to be difficult and this is the reason I got my A*

PS
A2 maths is easier than AS maths, "the harder questions are easy, but the easy questions are hard"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sniperdon227

Maths: Do all papers except the year closest to you,

Congrats on the results and thanks for sharing your tips. Why shouldn't you do the PPs from the previous year though?
Original post by Sniperdon227
AS BBBB Bio,Chem,Phy,Maths respectively, ALL AQA

Retook making AS BAA Bio,Chem,Maths respectively

predicted: AAA

A2 AAA* Bio,Chem,Maths respectively

overall AAA* Bio,Chem,Maths

How to improve:
Bio: Do all PP twice over close to exam, learn ms answers, goto other specs, goto other exam boards
Chem: Do all PP twice over close to exam, learn ms answers, goto other specs, goto other exam boards
Maths: Do all papers except the year closest to you, Do all PP multiples times gradually through the year and twice over close to exam, goto other specs, goto other exam boards, I used Solomon, I knew AQA would make the 2016 papers hard so I thought why not master the hard papers, solomon are the key to success, they are found to be difficult and this is the reason I got my A*

PS
A2 maths is easier than AS maths, "the harder questions are easy, but the easy questions are hard"

Thanks for the advice I'm doing all aqa and all those subjects too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest