The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

I will be posting my results here in about 3 weeks time. Right now my uni options are Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Dundee. I will have to give up one but that depends on whether my score is high, low or average. I know that Aberdeen doesn't have a cut-off so if thing don't go extremely well (which is unlikely anyway) I'll probably apply there instead of St Andrews. If I have the luxury of choice my first choice would be Glasgow and 2nd would be Edinburgh.
Original post by michelle88222
Does anyone have any tips for the quant and verbal sections?
My test is a little under 3 weeks away and I just seem to be scoring significantly lower (in the low 600s) in these sections compared to abstract and SJT.

I can't really say much about quantative reasoning but if I had to it would be to not panic like me. :/ Good luck! My test is in 3 weeks and I'm feeling the pressure and I need to write my personal statement. AHHH lol :biggrin:
Does anyone have a good personal statement writing website?
Original post by michelle88222
Does anyone have any tips for the quant and verbal sections?
My test is a little under 3 weeks away and I just seem to be scoring significantly lower (in the low 600s) in these sections compared to abstract and SJT.

For QR; when you see a question with a lot of information or data, guess, flag for review and come back to it later. There are loads of other questions which are much shorter/simpler where you should be aiming to pick up marks in. For VR, whenever you see a question without a key word then guess it, flag for review and come back for it later. Questions with a key word in them take up much less time and they're easier to answer as you can scan for the word in the passage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a209150
Does anyone have a good personal statement writing website?

A teacher recommended this one to me - hope it helps !

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/personal-statement/
A question for those who used Medify and have done their test - how similar were the AR questions in the test compared to the Medify bank?? Thank you :smile:
Original post by Nuba123
I can't really say much about quantative reasoning but if I had to it would be to not panic like me. :/ Good luck! My test is in 3 weeks and I'm feeling the pressure and I need to write my personal statement. AHHH lol :biggrin:

Thanks! Good luck to you to! Aiisshh I'm just glad I had my personal statement is done. UKCAT is slowly killing my soul :facepalm:
Original post by ASTK98
For QR; when you see a question with a lot of information or data, guess, flag for review and come back to it later. There are loads of other questions which are much shorter/simpler where you should be aiming to pick up marks in. For VR, whenever you see a question without a key word then guess it, flag for review and come back for it later. Questions with a key word in them take up much less time and they're easier to answer as you can scan for the word in the passage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'll definitely be trying that :smile:
Can anyone tell me how realistic the Medify Mock 1 is to the actual test?
I scored unusually high in it (for me anyway):
VR: 770
QR: 730
AR: 700
Band 2
I have never got anything over 690 average and never, ever have i scored that high in VR before sooo... :redface:
Is it easier compared to the other mocks?
In Mock 2, i got 660 avg and in Mock 3, i got 600 (i did these before 1 because only 1 had the decision making section)

PS. My exam is in 2 days
PSS. AR only had 50 questions... What's up with that? :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kiwifruit99
Band 2
I have never got anything over 690 average and never, ever have i scored that high in VR before sooo... :redface:
In Mock 2, i got 660 avg and in Mock 3, i got 600 (i did these before 1 because only 1 had the decision making section)

PS. My exam is in 2 days

I think it's hard to tell because the Medify mocks probably aren't standardised in the same way the UKCAT exams are, the mocks vary in difficulty, hence why your averages vary a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
After the exam season ends, so somewhere around mid October.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool thanks! 😄
Does anyone know some resources for me to practice % change? Just need loads of questions.
Yeh, it actually is because you expected to read the passage and answer 4 question under 2 min. Never managed to get higher than 60%:frown: . But then again whole UKCAT exam is annoying and hard looooooool.
Is the difficulty of the medify QR realistic? it seems very hard for some timed practise questions whilst others are fairly easily.
Original post by kiwifruit99
Band 2

PS. My exam is in 2 days

ME TOO!! oh my god, I got 830 AR, 750 VR and 730 QR in mock 1 but my average in 2 was 690 and in 3, 673... I think they are just harder! I havnt done my test yet though, but apparently the real thing is easier for AR and QR and a little harder with VR
Original post by jayeshforce1
Is the difficulty of the medify QR realistic? it seems very hard for some timed practise questions whilst others are fairly easily.

I think they pick them randomly from a mixture of easier and harder questions so you probably just end up with harder ones sometimes instead of a mix. Don't worry I found that too.
Original post by NAP1029
Cool thanks! 😄

It'll be the beginning of October, not the middle as it's supposed to come before the deadline for UCAS applications.
Original post by champ_mc99
Does anyone know some resources for me to practice % change? Just need loads of questions.

theres a set of a few. cant find the answer sheet on my memory stick though im afraid. BBC bitesize is pretty good as well
Guys is the 100isc Ukcat book for AR a fair representation of the real exam?
Original post by studentsixth
It'll be the beginning of October, not the middle as it's supposed to come before the deadline for UCAS applications.

Oh yeah that makes sense 👍🏻

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending