The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello everyone. Thank you so much for all your questions so far. I've asked the mods to close the thread temporarily from 5pm as I am off on holiday for a few days from tonight. I will be back after the bank holiday, however, to answer more questions and the thread will reopen then so do please store up your questions until then and I'll get cracking on them as soon as I'm back.

Enjoy the bank holiday everyone and good luck to all those getting their GCSEs tomorrow! :smile:
Hi,
I am wanting to apply for medicine this October for 2017 entry, and was wondering how much weighting would be put on my AS results and also the BMAT, because our school decided to do external exams in both reformed and unreformed subjects. I did external exams in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Latin, and received 97 UMS, 133/140 (97 UMS), 122/140 (100 UMS) and 85 UMS respectively (unofficial UMS marks were given by our school, based on the grade boundaries). Also, I achieved 10 A*s at GCSE and am predicted 3 A*s at A2 (I am dropping Latin). Would my raw marks or the unofficial UMS marks be looked at? Also, would I be considered as a strong candidate?

Thank you.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello everyone. Thank you so much for all your questions so far. I've asked the mods to close the thread temporarily from 5pm as I am off on holiday for a few days from tonight. I will be back after the bank holiday, however, to answer more questions and the thread will reopen then so do please store up your questions until then and I'll get cracking on them as soon as I'm back.

Enjoy the bank holiday everyone and good luck to all those getting their GCSEs tomorrow! :smile:

Have a wonderful holiday and a very good rest. You definitely deserve it! :smile:
Original post by Christ's Admissions

Done :smile:

Original post by Becca0615
Hi,
I am wanting to apply for medicine this October for 2017 entry, and was wondering how much weighting would be put on my AS results and also the BMAT, because our school decided to do external exams in both reformed and unreformed subjects. I did external exams in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Latin, and received 97 UMS, 133/140 (97 UMS), 122/140 (100 UMS) and 85 UMS respectively (unofficial UMS marks were given by our school, based on the grade boundaries). Also, I achieved 10 A*s at GCSE and am predicted 3 A*s at A2 (I am dropping Latin). Would my raw marks or the unofficial UMS marks be looked at? Also, would I be considered as a strong candidate?

Thank you.

Hi, the AT will reply to you after the bank holiday weekend :smile:

----

This thread is now open again :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm still not sure on what to apply for at uni. Originally I had planned on applying for straight history but circumstances such as a surprise D in my one module at AS and further reading into other areas such as Celtic have really made me think of other degrees to consider! I've read a few books on Celtic and am really enjoying it. Apart from a television programme on Norse settlement in Scotland and a few digs on telly about anglo-saxon culture etc I haven't explored that area a great deal yet. My AS were; Geography 93.5%Economics 86%History a C but with A in on module and D in the other (getting a remark first but will resit otherwise)English Literature which I plan on dropping I got a B at 76%. I also study Welsh Bac (which they take right?)
So overall 85% UMS. I read that Cambridge say don't bother applying with anything under 85% so.... Does this stay the same for ASNAC? How would I compare to past succesful applicants?
Hi, I was wondering who makes the decision for which applicants gets an interview/offer? Is it the director of studies or the admissions tutor?

I've also been told that there are 2 interviews. What is the difference between the two? Thanks
Original post by jdizzle12345
Hi, I was wondering who makes the decision for which applicants gets an interview/offer? Is it the director of studies or the admissions tutor?

I've also been told that there are 2 interviews. What is the difference between the two? Thanks

One is a general interview, the other is a specific subject interview.
Thank you for providing this opportunity to see if Cambridge is a realistic choice for me.
I achieved average GCSE's, 6A's, B, 4C's and a distinction at BTEC. It's fair to say I wasn't fully invested in them.
Now I've been to see some excellent Universities I am putting in the effort and this is reflected in my work results.
I had a major elective chest surgery in August last year and for the first term of this year had to attend school on a part time basis, when I was at school I was also under the effects of the prescribed painkillers I had to take so was extremely tired.
I had support from school and did my utmost to keep up to date with the work.
At AS I achieved A (linear) - Computer Science, A - Maths, B - Physics and C - Further Maths, I will be dropping Physics or Further Maths. I feel 2A* 1A or even 3A* are realistic without the difficulties I had this year.
Could I realistically hope for an interview based on this?
I would be applying for Computer Science.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 948
Hello,

Thank you so much for creating this forum. My predicted GCSE grades were 8A*s and 3As but unfortunately I had some problems with depression due to family issues and I only managed to achieve 4A*s and 7As. I had problems with depression when I was little and am now seeing a psychologist after a GP referal. I'm no longer having any of the problems I was and the psychologist has told me I've made a lot of progress. I was wondering how this would impact my application if I was to apply to medicine at Cambridge? I haven't got my A levels yet but hypothetically if I were to get 4A*s or 3A*s and an A and had a high BMAT score would I be able to get in? Will my circumstances make admission tutors cautious of me in terms of them thinking I might get worse? Is there anything I can do to put them at ease? Would a letter from my psychologist suffice? Is there any evidence is need to provide of my circumstances? Would it be worth doing a language GCSE in addition to my A levels to strengthen my application? Do you look at the exam boards people took their A levels and GCSEs in (as some are notoriously harder than others)? Can that affect how competitive your application is?

I'm sorry to bombard you with questions. I'm just very worried about how my circumstances will hinder me.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Original post by jdizzle12345

Original post by blue2337

Not necessarily.
Many colleges do 2 academic interviews for many courses.
In fact, I've heard of more 2 x academic interview than 1 general + 1 academic.
Reply 950
Original post by blue2337

Not necessarily. My college just gives 2 academic interviews for a lot of subjects.
Original post by alow
Not necessarily. My college just gives 2 academic interviews for a lot of subjects.

Snap! :biggrin:
Original post by vincrows
Snap! :biggrin:

Yeh I had 2 academic interviews and a test at fitz and homerton.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Yeh I had 2 academic interviews and a test at fitz and homerton.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile:

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that if AT is involved in their interview, one of them is general one.
And only DoS/fellow of the subject are in charge of interview, it'd be 2 academic interviews.

But when CAT comes back later today, he can prove us all wrong. We're just warming up his bench until his return.....:tongue:
Original post by vincrows
:smile:

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that if AT is involved in their interview, one of them is general one.
And only DoS/fellow of the subject are in charge of interview, it'd be 2 academic interviews.

But when CAT comes back later today, he can prove us all wrong. We're just warming up his bench until his return.....:tongue:

Yeh mine were all DoS/Fellow/Phd students

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I want to apply for physical nat sci at either Homerton or Gonville & Caius. I have 7A* and 4A at GCSE but went to an underperforming high school and it was contextually the best. My maths/ further maths UMS at AS is 92 but was pulled down by one bad module. I wanted to ask if I performed well/ average in the pre-interview assessment would this have more weighting when offers are given than my UMS that is available?

Moreover, if it does, with a good result in the admissions assessment, how likely is it to gain an offer?

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 956
Hey after receiving my GCSE's I wanted to ask you if it still worth aspiring to Cambridge to study history.
I received 1A*,8A's,2B's with the A* in history.
I know that's below average but I just wanted to know if it's a possibility still.

Also, My uncle is a bit of a historian and he gave me a load of ancient history books to read (what I enjoy), but he also said it might be beneficial to self teach Latin, so would it actually be favourable for my application if I had some knowledge in writing Latin? Thanks for any answers you can give me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I was wondering what Cambridge views are on resits of AS modules. I have very strong GCSE grades, and 2 of my A Levels were legacy subjects, so I have 2 AS grades, neither of which were essay subjects (I am applying for History).
In French I got 89.5%, but in maths 83.7%. In one module I got a much lower UMS than anticipated (not disastrous, but lower): would it be perceived as negative if I were to retake this?

Thanks so much!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Becca0615
Hi,

Thank you.

Hello and thanks for your questions. Sorry not to have replied sooner, you snuck under the wire just before I went on holiday! :smile:

Well done on your results, they look strong. We won't be collecting raw marks (schools can't convert them into UMS as UMS is only produced across all exam boards) for reformed AS Levels but school are welcome to include them in the reference if they and you wish.

We don't weight individual parts of the application but you have clearly done well and GCSE and AS Level and, if that is replicated in the BMAT, then you will be a strong candidate on paper.
Hello, :smile:Do you have any tips for the personal statement? Should I be the one bragging about my achievements in my PS, or should I leave that for my teacher to say in the teacher reference?In addition, how important would you say is the teacher's writing ability? I am able to choose my referee, but should I choose a teacher that I feel I have the best relationship with, but not as articulate in his writing, or a teacher who is a very skilled writer (we get along very well, but she doesn't teach the subject I am applying for)?Thank you in advance

Latest

Trending

Trending