The Student Room Group

Oxbridge requirements

I am hoping to study psychology at Uni. Thinking of Oxbridge as an option. However, got 9 A's at GCSE, 1 B and a D! Yikes! The D was in drama and was the highest grade awarded at my state school (did work hard and was predicted for an A but results dreadful for that subject). I also have Grade 8 ABRSM in a musical instrument. No A* although several A's were borderline A*. I know Cambridge are interested in AS Levels (we do do those) and of course A Level results but are my GCSE results not likely to be acceptable? I think my predictions at A Level will be at least A grade.
I'm also wondering the same thing. From what I've been told Cambridge focus much more on GCSE grades rather than Oxford.
Original post by newcastleowens
I am hoping to study psychology at Uni. Thinking of Oxbridge as an option. However, got 9 A's at GCSE, 1 B and a D! Yikes! The D was in drama and was the highest grade awarded at my state school (did work hard and was predicted for an A but results dreadful for that subject). I also have Grade 8 ABRSM in a musical instrument. No A* although several A's were borderline A*. I know Cambridge are interested in AS Levels (we do do those) and of course A Level results but are my GCSE results not likely to be acceptable? I think my predictions at A Level will be at least A grade.
Original post by adoodling
I'm also wondering the same thing. From what I've been told Cambridge focus much more on GCSE grades rather than Oxford.

Actually it's the opposite
If you have good GCSES try Oxford
If you have good AS UMS Try Cambridge

If you have neither try London met

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it's the other way round. Cambridge focusses much more on A Levels than GCSEs and Oxford focusses on GCSEs more than A Levels. Cambridge even has it's own form for AS UMS which you fill in if you apply to Cambridge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The GCSEs are not ideal but people have certainly got into Oxbridge with worse grades at GCSE before! So long as you do great in your A-Levels, do relevant volunteering/extra-curriculars, and smash the admissions test you definitely stand a chance. But you will definitely have to work for it. And if you don't get into Oxbridge, then it is not the end of the world. There are plenty of other universities that you would enjoy and love and get a good degree out of as well.

Cambridge consider post-16 performance as a better indicator of how you will perform at degree level, so they would place greater importance AS level performance and UMS percentage, but the issue now with that is many A-Levels do not have AS Level examinations any more so it depends on what A Levels you are doing. Oxford see GCSE performance as an indicator of consistency and work ethic but of course only if it continues to A Level. Both universities tend to look at GCSE performance in the context of your high school as well, so if you go to a bad high school and your results were some of the highest in your year group, then that would be ideal.
Okay. I don't know why Oxford would focus on GCSE results much more than Cambridge. They are accentually allowing less academically abled students in. :smile:
Original post by ShiawaseNekox3
Actually it's the opposite
Okay. I don't know why Oxford would focus on GCSE results much more than Cambridge. They are accentually allowing less academically abled students in. :smile:

I've always wondered that. Wouldn't it make much more sense if they looked at A Levels since it's harder and would give more information about whether the applicant will do well or not at the uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
I've always wondered that. Wouldn't it make much more sense if they looked at A Levels since it's harder and would give more information about whether the applicant will do well or not at the uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well of course they look at A levels as a priority. Every university looks at A levels as a priority. If a candidate has 12A*s at GCSE but BBB at A level, Oxford aren't going to let him in on account of their GCSE results. However GCSEs could be taken into account, for example, if they had two candidates both with A*A*A however candidate A has 12A* at GCSE and candidate B has 3A*, 6A and 3Bs, for example. This might show that candidate A has been performing consistently high for years and is likely to have the same work ethic at degree level. Thats as an example of course, but basically A levels will always take priority.
I am hoping of studying Economics at Cambridge or LSE.
I got 6.5 A stars and 5 As BUT I go to a high performing school where 53% of my peers got 9 A stars and 36% got 11 A stars.
Are my chances diminshed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Their own research has apparently shown that GCSEs are a better predictor of degree success, than AS levels are.

If you look, Oxford has less acceptance rate than Cambridge :smile:
Original post by Patrick Gekko
If you have good GCSES try Oxford
If you have good AS UMS Try Cambridge

If you have neither try London met

London met - :biggrin::biggrin: lmao.
Reply 13
No it's the other way round. Cambridge focusses much more on A Levels than GCSEs and Oxford focusses on GCSEs more than A Levels. Cambridge even has it's own form for AS UMS which you fill in if you apply to Cambridge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, neither focus on GCSEs that much for most courses.

Oxford puts a fair amount of emphasis on their pre-interview admissions tests.

Cambridge used to put emphasis on AS UMS if it was available, but with A-level reforms they have also introduced more admissions assessments for most courses.

And to say Oxford doesn't value A-levels is, frankly, nonsense.

There are instances of successful students at both universities without a string of A*s at GCSE.

It's your academic performance in Y12 & Y13 that's most important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending