The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do think West Ham played really poorly. Basically a back 5 trying to push up and a midfield 3 that was all over the place. If you stand 5 people in a line and wait for 3 quality attackers being fed by Silva and KDB who are passing under little pressure. Real surprise is City didn't score more tbh. They should have a lot less space when they play us.

Felt once Mkhitaryan came on Rooney was near redundant as the creative hub. His influence for someone with so few mins was huge and his pace on the break is something I feel we have to put in the team. We have fast attackers but the creators aren't blessed with pace. He's one who can run, beat a man and then slip a pass rather than just shoot. The sooner we get him in the side the better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a shame there's an international break before the derby - means both sets of players might be slightly jaded so I see Mourinho becoming conservative in his set-up at some point in the game (maybe when it's equal in the second half, he might try to get a draw rather than push for a win whereas Pep will continue to go forward). Not taking into account potential injuries to players, the build-up to the game might be the only exciting aspect!
You've come a long way, Utd.

You have no soul any more, only AFC & LFC remain. Congrats, you're Citeh 2016!

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2683
Original post by Aky786UK
It's a shame there's an international break before the derby - means both sets of players might be slightly jaded so I see Mourinho becoming conservative in his set-up at some point in the game (maybe when it's equal in the second half, he might try to get a draw rather than push for a win whereas Pep will continue to go forward). Not taking into account potential injuries to players, the build-up to the game might be the only exciting aspect!

It's Mourinho vs Pep in an early season fixture so what else will you expect? Nobody with the attacking abilities of Barcelona and Madrid players and Aguero is probably going to be banned.

It's going to be a borefest.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
It's going to be a borefest.
Depends, both managers know the media will be all over it. Don't think Jose will want to lose it at any cost, an ultra defensive game only works if we keep a clean sheet. So long as we don't score first I think it will be a good game. Otherwise Smalling at CDM ten mins in could happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haven't even thought what our bus is going to look like. Can't wait. Schneiderlin and Fellaini in front of a back 5.
Jose has always played three holding midfielders when he plays Pep. Not saying he will vs City, but they won't be out to score goals.

Original post by Fizzel
Depends, both managers know the media will be all over it. Don't think Jose will want to lose it at any cost, an ultra defensive game only works if we keep a clean sheet. So long as we don't score first I think it will be a good game. Otherwise Smalling at CDM ten mins in could happen.
It'd make more sense to have Blind at CDM and have Bailly partner Smalling.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2687
Original post by Diego Costa
Jose has always played three holding midfielders when he plays Pep. Not saying he will vs City, but they won't be out to score goals.

It'd make more sense to have Blind at CDM and have Bailly partner Smalling.

Na because he wants someone big to mark Silva out of the game and City don't have an aerial threat to actually hurt United's Basketball team anyway. Plus Smalling being faster to recover balls in midfield than Blind and Blind's lack of pace ain't going to be exploited if he's inside their own box 65% of the game. Even though Fizzel said that in jest you know for a fact Mourinho's going to do that if United are 1-0 up second half.

Also in the 1-2 win at Nou Camp Mourinho played his normal Real Madrid side in the 4-2-3-1 formation. In the 2011 fixtures because of the 5-0 he played 2 DMs and Khedira(which worked in the copa del rey final) but Pep got by that quite easily in the 2-0 win at the Bernabeu.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2688
Original post by Fizzel

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually you're playing at home. He's still going to approach it defensive and counter/set pieces. He did the same against Van Gaal at Stamford Bridge and Pep's style is going to just perpetuate that. With no Aguero I don't see how they're going to score personally as you'd expect the midfield to handle Silva and De Bruyne on a physical level.

Basically you're going to watch a bus or very defensive setup.
(edited 7 years ago)
Counter attack for days.

Pogba driving at that midfield. RIP.
Highlights player driving at that midfield, RIP
Reply 2691
Pogba's clearly just doing it for the vines.
Original post by Dirtybit
Highlights player driving at that midfield, RIP

Pogba got a couple of nice Marseille turns in vs Hull.

All bout the vines.
[video="youtube;5YQREapyqIo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YQREapyqIo[/video]
I wonder how Eb is?
Original post by Rk2k14
Pogba got a couple of nice Marseille turns in vs Hull.

All bout the vines.

smh couldnt even pull it off

When Ramsey was compared to Zidane on MOTD >>>

Original post by swirly
smh couldnt even pull it off

When Ramsey was compared to Zidane on MOTD >>>

That season when Ramsey went on a madness.
Original post by Rk2k14
That season when Ramsey went on a madness.

Ahhhh great memories...... Ramsey for Balon D'or.....
Happy fax machine day
FabinhoIN.
See we have also signed an ex-Atleti scout. Their scouting network is probably one of the best in Europe so should be interesting to see if he's involved with any transfers in the future.

Latest