The Student Room Group

3 simple reasons why Islam isn't compatible with the West

1) According to the Quran, Muslims cannot be friends with "unbelievers" so they cannot possibly integrate into British society as a group.

2) Sharia law directly opposes Western values. The death of apostates, the ban info homosexuality, the jizya tax for non-Muslims all contradict our values of tolerance, equality and freedom.

3) Muslms ultimately want the whole world to be Muslim and to live according to the rules of the Quran. They are allowed under the Quran to use violent methods to charge this.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You are an idiot if you think most muslims think they cant be friends with non believers lmao. Have you ever even met a muslm
All the Muslims I know have friends that are non Muslims, so number one is incorrect
Reply 3
Original post by SuperHuman98
You are an idiot if you think most muslims think they cant be friends with non believers lmao. Have you ever even met a muslm

Original post by Pinkberry_y
All the Muslims I know have friends that are non Muslims, so number one is incorrect

Im talking about the laws of Islam, not what Muslims actually do in real life. Many of them do not follow the Quran properly. Muslims are not allowed to friends with non-Muslims according to the Quran:

"O ye who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors; they are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust. (The Noble Quran, 5:51)"
"O ye who believe! Take not for friends and protectors those who take your religion for a mockery or sport - whether among those who received the Scripture (i.e., the Bible) before you, or among those who reject Faith; but fear ye Allah, if ye have Faith (indeed). (The Noble Quran, 5:57)"
"Yea, to those who take for friends unbelievers rather than believers: is it honour they seek among them? Nay,- all honour is with God. (The Noble Quran, 4:139)"
(edited 7 years ago)
Who says muslims even want sharia in the west ? Btw saying the word "sharia law" is redundant , simply because the word "sharia" means law in arabic.

If you've read some basic history you'll know that muslims are not planning to over take the world. Honestly speaking those who do plan to take over the world are ones that control around 40% of world reserves. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Who told you point no. 1?
Whoever did is real clever....

Spoiler

Original post by biglad2k16
Im talking about the laws of Islam, not what Muslims actually do in real life. Many of them do not follow the Quran properly. Muslims are not allowed to friends with non-Muslims according to the Quran:

"O ye who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors; they are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust. (The Noble Quran, 5:51)"
"O ye who believe! Take not for friends and protectors those who take your religion for a mockery or sport - whether among those who received the Scripture (i.e., the Bible) before you, or among those who reject Faith; but fear ye Allah, if ye have Faith (indeed). (The Noble Quran, 5:57)"
"Yea, to those who take for friends unbelievers rather than believers: is it honour they seek among them? Nay,- all honour is with God. (The Noble Quran, 4:139)"

Just blandly quoting a verse simply isn't good enough. Please do contextualise

*incoming rants including the words apologist and extremist*
Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yes another one who just randomly picks verses from the quran with out actually reading the "tafseer" if you know what that means. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
1 - This may be the case in some areas which have become little more ghettos (such as Molenbeek in Belgium) but I'm sure plenty of Muslims have non-Muslim friends.

2 - I do agree with you here. Any Muslim who wants to follow Sharia law to the letter won't be compatible with UK law.

3 - Without doing a global poll of all Muslims, I think it's very difficult to claim this. While there's certainly organisations like ISIS, AQ etc who want global jihad, I don't think the silent majority of Muslims are too fussed about this.
Okay, so whilst many of the things in the Qu'ran are very contradicting to the way we live in the West , like cutting of the hands of people who steal and banning homosexuality. However a lot of Muslims do not agree with thes laws who I've in the West (the same thing cannot be said for those in the Middle East.

One major point that deeply worries me is the idea of the so called 'Sharia Law' which is trying to be implemented in certain communities in the UK (mainly parts of London). This is a very scary prospect as 'Sharia Law' includes; no music or concert and rape being legalised. Not only that, the consequences are very extreme like hangings and cutting of the hands of those who steal.
Reply 10
This is so silly, no one follows their religious book word for word. I'm pretty sure most muslims would love it if the people around them became muslim (just as christians, hindus and sikhs would feel too) but the vast majority won't use violence to get there. You could write this for any religion, including christianity which I'd consider to be the main christian religion. According to the bible, it is acceptable for anyone who works on a Saturday to be put to death. I'm not sure that entirely fits in with the West either...

How about we judge people on who they are and not their religion? That sounds much nicer:smile:
Original post by SuperHuman98

As counter-intuitive as this may sound, Islam != Muslim. Muslims have far more to them as individuals than their religion, and can disobey their religion. Islam is a religion which has ideas set in theology which I don't believe changes (Could be wrong here, but I recall hearing about a few verses which prohibit interpretations beyond Muhammed's original interpretation.
Original post by Gladiatorsword
Just blandly quoting a verse simply isn't good enough. Please do contextualise

*incoming rants including the words apologist and extremist*
Posted from TSR Mobile

tbf I can't imagine what context could apply to all three verses (not of the same paragraph so repeated) which would suddenly change their meaning a great deal.

I have no idea the views on this website, it would appear to be a pretty reasonable website answering Islamic questions using scripture..

http://askaquestionto.us/question-answer/fiqh/is-befriending-non-muslims-forbidden-in-islam

It would appear from this that although one can be "friendly", it is best not to form any close friendships with non-Muslims, particularly those who are not Christian/Jewish.
1) According to the Quran, Muslims cannot be friends with "unbelievers" so they cannot possibly integrate into British society as a group.

2) Sharia law directly opposes Western values. The death of apostates, the ban info homosexuality, the jizya tax for non-Muslims all contradict our values of tolerance, equality and freedom.

3) Muslms ultimately want the whole world to be Muslim and to live according to the rules of the Quran. They are allowed under the Quran to use violent methods to charge this.

1. evidently they are
2. shaira law has no set list of things which are to be enforced
3. prove this absurd statement please
Choosing to interpret the Qur'an differently doesn't make the OP's statements any less true; it simply means that Islam cannot and should not be defined in a single manner.
Original post by Think People

If you've read some basic history you'll know that muslims are not planning to over take the world.

Everyone living between Spain and the borders of China between 622 and 750AD called, they'd like a word with you.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Everyone living between Spain and the borders of China between 622 and 750AD called, they'd like a word with you.

Are you cognisant of the fact that the comment posed was regarding present tense, where as your answer is using the past?

Everybody has their opinions, so thank you for sharing your opinions but some well most of the things you stated are incorrect. There is nothing in the Quran, stated that you shouldn't be friends with non-muslims. This idea that you getting of that muslims want the whole world to be muslim, is mainly not even your idea but it's what is stereotypically put out there by other powerful human beings, who have status higher than us and control the world. Also, muslims are allowed to use violent methods no actually:
“Whoever kills a person …it is as though he has killed all mankind. And whoever saves a life, it is as though he had saved all mankind.” (Qur’an, 5:32)

These stereotypical ideas somehow get brain washed into innocent and naive people like you, which isn't a horrible thing at all but it is just sometimes see the outside of the box:

Malcolm X:
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”

“The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.”

Nelson Mandela:
“No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”

I don't want to try and bombard you with all of these quotes but with ALL DUE RESPECT why don't we just all get along, if if we don't agree with having the same God, lets just all support each other and try and realise that sometimes most of things on the media is not that true.

Hey, try and reading The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood or 1984 by George Orwell.
Maybe you'll realise then.
But anyways thank you for sharing your opinion.
Original post by mil88
Are you cognisant of the fact that the comment posed was regarding present tense, where as your answer is using the past?

I am.

Are you aware of what "history" is?

Because the way I see it, either history is relevant or it's not.
- If it is, then it should be taken into account, thus making the statement I quoted logically impaired (I can only assume that the person posting was meaning to persuade OP of the notion that Muslims are generally quite peaceful despite history saying contrary. Or, they meant that Muslims are peaceful now, which leads us to the below statement).
- If it's not, then the statement I quoted, specifically the bit regarding history, is irrelevant at best and misleadingly wrong at worst.
Original post by Drunk Punx
I am.

Are you aware of what "history" is?

Because the way I see it, either history is relevant or it's not.
- If it is, then it should be taken into account, thus making the statement I quoted logically impaired (I can only assume that the person posting was meaning to persuade OP of the notion that Muslims are generally quite peaceful despite history saying contrary. Or, they meant that Muslims are peaceful now, which leads us to the below statement).
- If it's not, then the statement I quoted, specifically the bit regarding history, is irrelevant at best and misleadingly wrong at worst.

Indeed I do.

My point was, bringing forth evidence regarding "modern muslims" and their views of Islam dominating the world, is far more compelling than giving the example of muslims of the past, when this isn't in question or being discussed.

I am not arguing for or against here, simply highlighting a potential flaw in your reasoning.

When discussing " modern muslims", in my humble opinion, using modern data is more appropriate than using history, which doesn't represent "modern muslims" unless you make assumptions.

With regards to the other user, I suspect that they were using their own views and the views of their friends, and therefore is valid as far as the notion of "modern muslims" is concerned, just not valid for all "modern muslims".

Quick Reply

Latest