The Student Room Group

Buying condoms in uni?

This is a bit of a silly question, but reading some threads on here about uni and saving money, how are people planning on getting condoms? I don't want to be spending money when I could ask my GP for free ones, but I think that's too awkward.. Thoughts? :bebored:
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't some unis hand out free condoms during Freshers?

Also, you can get them online or just go down to a sexual health clinic and get it for free.
You could ask at your GP surgery (don't be embarrassed, they've heard it all before and won't even think twice - but don't book an appointment for it, just ask at reception) or a pharmacy. I think some places still do 'C-cards' that you can get at a sexual health clinic that let you pick up free condoms at Boots and other places. Also, there are usually sexual health clinics around university areas, so you could go there - you most likely wouldn't need an appointment, just ask at reception. But as MrsSheldonCooper said, loads of condoms get handed out at fresher's events, so utilise that too!
Between freshers', the sexual health clinic, and a load from various mental health support groups, my girlfriend's ended up with a literal drawer full of the things; every flavour under the sun. The best part is we don't even use them.

Maybe a weird car boot sale is in order :hmmmm2:
Reply 4
Original post by basic1996*****
This is a bit of a silly question, but reading some threads on here about uni and saving money, how are people planning on getting condoms? I don't want to be spending money when I could ask my GP for free ones, but I think that's too awkward.. Thoughts? :bebored:
Suck it up and ask your GP; it's only awkward if you make it so.
Reply 5
Original post by Flame Alchemist
Between freshers', the sexual health clinic, and a load from various mental health support groups, my girlfriend's ended up with a literal drawer full of the things; every flavour under the sun. The best part is we don't even use them.

Haha this happened to me. Then one day I went to get one out and they'd gone.

Later I found out my younger brother had stolen them to **** with :dong:
Most unis give them out free during freshers and mine did at the sexual health clinic on campus too.

Plus, if you aren't able to ask your GP or a Doctor for condoms, I'm afraid you are not mature enough and shouldn't be having sex.
You can order free condoms online.
Original post by basic1996*****

Hello :smile:

Most universities have free condoms anyway! In our university the SU had a bowl that you could just take out of. It's university, no one cares if you are taking any - no one judges you and you shouldn't feel awkward. If not, they'll have services you can contact to get free ones!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 9

You're not using them but she is, bro.
Original post by RooshV

Rekt
Original post by RooshV

Haha savage mate!
Go to a sexual health clinic or connexions- they hand them out for free there. Barely anyone buys their own condoms
GPs don't offer condoms anymore (well a handful of them don't). You have to go to a GUM clinic.

But uni medic centers should provide some if you ask. Mine doesn't provide any which is ridiculous. But you can get them usually at Freshers, usually when you sign up to the uni's medical center.
I'll be more impressed if you avoid getting free condoms during Freshers!
Reply 15

I'm slightly confused what mental health groups give condoms out for but wow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RooshV
...damn. :unimpressed:

Well I hope those lucky chaps have fun with the tingly mint balloons. I'm not sure I want concentrated menthol down there.
Original post by Andy98
I'm slightly confused what mental health groups give condoms out for but wowPosted from TSR Mobile
Mainly a lot of general support groups being very trigger-happy in terms of handing out generically useful health freebies. Also her slightly odd uncle lives close to her uni and makes well-intentioned donations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending