The Student Room Group

Is it ok to pay for survey results?

I want to use the buy responses feature on survey monkey for my IT MSc thesis. You guys reckon this is allowed and can I state in my methodology that I paid for responses? thanks. My survey deals with quite a specific topic (change management in the workplace) which is why I'm not getting many responses over social media. thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by EDUC4TION
I want to use the buy responses feature on survey monkey for my IT MSc thesis. You guys reckon this is allowed and can I state in my methodology that I paid for responses? thanks. My survey deals with quite a specific topic (change management in the workplace) which is why I'm not getting many responses over social media. thanks.

It's an issue which should be covered by your university's Research Ethics Policy. Everyone at my undergrad and Masters uni had to include a signed ethics statement in their diss as an appendix, so it's probably best to track it down now. Ask your supervisor and if they're OK with it in principle, then refer to the RE Policy to see whether the uni/department will permit it.

Plus there's the practical aspect. At my current uni the protocol is not to offer anything more than entry for all respondents who supply an email address, into a draw for a single prize - usually something like a £50 Amazon voucher rather than cash. That weeds out professional survey-takers who will enter any old nonsense data just to get the payment. Offering to pay for every response can result in skewed and useless data, which an MSc diss marker is likely to point out. Certainly if you did that, you would be obliged to state that in the Methodology.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply I'm gonna ask my supervisor to double check but a few of my friends have already bought responses and said it should be ok so I'm hopeful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending