The Student Room Group

what jobs to go with English Lit and French degree?

I am hoping to study English Lit and French at university but was also wondering the career prospects??? Besides the obvious teaching
Reply 1
A friend of mine did Italian and English at uni and is now a translator on a world class cruise ship. I think that sounds awesome.. Great benefits too.
Original post by ameliamcclune
I am hoping to study English Lit and French at university but was also wondering the career prospects??? Besides the obvious teaching

The thing with most degrees is that they don't lead to a particular career, they serve as a way of ticking off the 'degree requirement' box for a whole range of careers, however to actually get a job you need to offer a complete package including work experience and a strong application. You would be able to apply for a whole range of jobs in business, HR, the charity sector, finance, accountancy (no you don't need an accountancy degree), translation/interpretation, civil service and more I'm sure I've left out.
Reply 3
Original post by ameliamcclune

There are an extraordinary range of graduate jobs which don't require a particular academic background—often, employers want to know that you have a degree with a 2.1 or a first, as it shows you can work at something for a while, and they'd like you to have that degree from a decent university, but they're not very interested in what exactly you studied or where you studied it. So there's a huge range of things you could be doing with an English & French degree—my first job after my degree in English was in medical e-learning.

If you come out of your degree with decent French you may find a whole extra set of opportunities. As a country we produce an embarrassingly small number of graduates with good foreign language abilities and there's definitely a need for those skills in business and government.

So the possibilities are kind of too numerous to try listing them, and you need to think yourself about which fields you might like to work in. What can be more important than the topic of your degree is your ability to show that you're interested in whatever field(s) you wind up applying in. This makes getting some kind of experience on your CV during your degree very useful—summer jobs, internships, university societies and so on can be a big advantage. It can help to identify one or two fields you might be interested in early on and see if you can get any opportunities in those.

The disadvantage of doing a non-vocational degree is that you don't get a ready-made and explicit system of career progression on graduating. But the related advantages are the freedom to define, with a little preparation and thought, a career that you personally want, and kind of flexibility that readies you for putting in applications for graduate posts in a range of fields at once if necessary.
Thank you so much, very useful reading this!
Original post by QHF
There are an extraordinary range of graduate jobs which don't require a particular academic background—often, employers want to know that you have a degree with a 2.1 or a first, as it shows you can work at something for a while, and they'd like you to have that degree from a decent university, but they're not very interested in what exactly you studied or where you studied it. So there's a huge range of things you could be doing with an English & French degree—my first job after my degree in English was in medical e-learning.

If you come out of your degree with decent French you may find a whole extra set of opportunities. As a country we produce an embarrassingly small number of graduates with good foreign language abilities and there's definitely a need for those skills in business and government.

So the possibilities are kind of too numerous to try listing them, and you need to think yourself about which fields you might like to work in. What can be more important than the topic of your degree is your ability to show that you're interested in whatever field(s) you wind up applying in. This makes getting some kind of experience on your CV during your degree very useful—summer jobs, internships, university societies and so on can be a big advantage. It can help to identify one or two fields you might be interested in early on and see if you can get any opportunities in those.

The disadvantage of doing a non-vocational degree is that you don't get a ready-made and explicit system of career progression on graduating. But the related advantages are the freedom to define, with a little preparation and thought, a career that you personally want, and kind of flexibility that readies you for putting in applications for graduate posts in a range of fields at once if necessary.

This is an excellent post and should be read by a lot of people going into (or thinking of going into) nonvocational degrees on this site

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending