The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Unique work experience & circumstances - chances at Cambridge?

Hi guys,

I'll be applying to Cambridge for a MSc in Genetics and just wanted some opinions on some aspects of my application. So, to begin my grades are completely average: 2:1 in second year (63%). However, I was returning from a year of medical absence, which also affected my first year results (60%). Apart from that, I've also got work experience in a lab over the summer that focuses on a specific area of genetics that I'm interested in. Fortunately, by October I'll have submitted a paper as first author to an international genetics journal (technically my PI will submit it). So hopefully, by the time applications open I'll be published. As far as I know, publications in the UK are rare (less so in America), but first authorship even moreso, especially as an undergrad. I know that Cambridge consider all aspects of the application, but I'm wondering whether the above mitigates relatively unimpressive grades?

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Akamega
Hi guys,

I'll be applying to Cambridge for a MSc in Genetics and just wanted some opinions on some aspects of my application. So, to begin my grades are completely average: 2:1 in second year (63%). However, I was returning from a year of medical absence (cancer), which also affected my first year results (60%). Apart from that, I've also got work experience in a lab over the summer that focuses on a specific area of genetics that I'm interested in. Fortunately, by October I'll have submitted a paper as first author to an international genetics journal (technically my PI will submit it). So hopefully, by the time applications open I'll be published. As far as I know, publications in the UK are rare (less so in America), but first authorship even moreso, especially as an undergrad. I know that Cambridge consider all aspects of the application, but I'm wondering whether the above mitigates relatively unimpressive grades?

Thanks.

Cambridge's approach to admissions is just as holistic at PG level as it is at UG level, in fact more so in a way, because there are so many more diverse life journeys from applicants. I can't say whether your additional experience will be enough to mitigate your grades, but they'd certainly read your application with interest - you might be one of the proportion that is set a specific third year % to achieve, to make sure your academic grades pick up.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
While a publication is impressive, your grades already meet the entry requirements so you shouldn't have a problem. Ask your referee to mention your medical absence as well.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
Cambridge's approach to admissions is just as holistic at PG level as it is at UG level, in fact more so in a way, because there are so many more diverse life journeys from applicants. I can't say whether your additional experience will be enough to mitigate your grades, but they'd certainly read your application with interest - you might be one of the proportion that is set a specific third year % to achieve, to make sure your academic grades pick up.

Original post by alleycat393
While a publication is impressive, your grades already meet the entry requirements so you shouldn't have a problem. Ask your referee to mention your medical absence as well.

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending