The Student Room Group

Physicist vs Surgeon?

OK,I'm am currently going to go into y11 GCSE's...I have considered career option in engineering and physics(physicist)/Surgeon...

I personally absolutely love physics(And engineering) and it is one of my if not only true life passion...I'm intrigued by every aspect of it and i would like to study physics at oxford...

My DAD is a surgeon and my mum and dad are persuading me into a career in medicine and to be more specific:as a surgeon...

They list the benefits of the career on relation to physics /engineering such as:h:igh pay,Respect,Easier for me due to dad being a surgeon,ETC...

I'm so confused ye determined on selecting a career so please could you assist me?

Also,Please don't say do your passion and its not for money as i am interested in medicine as well.

Thanks.
Original post by VNN

Also,Please don't say do your passion and its not for money as i am interested in medicine as well.

Why not? We are strangers over the internet - to listen to us over what you prefer seems a bit silly.

From your post, it seems clear you'd prefer Physics.

(Also, your reasons for going into Medicine are the entirely wrong reasons - have a look at the news and you'll see it's not as good as you think!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by usycool1
Why not? We are strangers over the internet - to listen to us over what you prefer seems a bit silly.

From your post, it seems clear you'd prefer Physics.

(Also, your reasons for going into Medicine are the entirely wrong reasons - have a look at the news and you'll see it's not as good as you think!)

What do you mean by:

your reasons for going into Medicine are the entirely wrong reasons - have a look at the news and you'll see it's not as good as you think!
Original post by VNN
What do you mean by:

your reasons for going into Medicine are the entirely wrong reasons - have a look at the news and you'll see it's not as good as you think!

The pay isn't really as great as people think considering the work and if you're going into it just for that and the apparent respect, you will be disappointed very quickly. And having a surgeon in the family won't really be that helpful tbh - my whole family are pretty much doctors but it's not really made much easier for me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by VNN
What do you mean by:

junior doctor strikes, NHS cuts, long hours, JEREMY HUNT everything lol. if you want to do medicine you WANT to do medicine. you cant go into it because your parents are advising you! there are peoples lives at hand
Original post by VNN
OK,I'm am currently going to go into y11 GCSE's...I have considered career option in engineering and physics(physicist)/Surgeon...

I personally absolutely love physics(And engineering) and it is one of my if not only true life passion...I'm intrigued by every aspect of it and i would like to study physics at oxford...

My DAD is a surgeon and my mum and dad are persuading me into a career in medicine and to be more specific:as a surgeon...

They list the benefits of the career on relation to physics /engineering such as:h:igh pay,Respect,Easier for me due to dad being a surgeon,ETC...

I'm so confused ye determined on selecting a career so please could you assist me?

Thanks.

Say you go down the route of a physics degree, maybe even a PhD, too, and you find that physics research doesn't interest you any more. You have a degree and a PhD in physics which means you can more or less stroll into any numerate job you want.

On the other hand, say you go down the path of medicine/surgery, spending seven years (?) studying medicine then another raft of years learning how to be a surgeon. Let's say, again, at the end of your training you decide that surgery or medicine just isn't for you. Then what do you?

The physics degree closes the fewest amount of doors for your future career. Now I'm not saying definitely go ahead and do physics, but you should definitely consider the possibility that what you want to do now is not the same as what you will want to do in ten years. When I was doing my GCSEs (I started them ten years ago) I thought I wanted to be a physicist, too. I didn't even finish my four year physics degree (did three years and graduated with a BSc instead of MPhys) before I realised I didn't want to be a physicist. I'm now doing something else I love which is related to physics but much more applied to the real world. I had no idea I wanted to do this until my third year of university and having done three years of physics at university have put me in a very strong position.

Another point to make is that while your parents want the best for you, allowing them to mould you in their image is bad for you, as you're not really thinking for yourself then.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by VNN

Thanks.

I also want to study physics at university. I imagine that surgeons do get paid better but if you enjoy physics more then you should do physics, also careers in research physics can be good pay and university lectureres make bank as well. For me being a surgeon seems like it would be far too stressful, i don't handle stress well lol. It's up to you though and only you can decide what you want to do with your life.
Original post by Manitude
Say you go down the route of a physics degree, maybe even a PhD, too, and you find that physics research doesn't interest you any more. You have a degree and a PhD in physics which means you can more or less stroll into any numerate job you want.

On the other hand, say you go down the path of medicine/surgery, spending seven years (?) studying medicine then another raft of years learning how to be a surgeon. Let's say, again, at the end of your training you decide that surgery or medicine just isn't for you. Then what do you?

The physics degree closes the fewest amount of doors for your future career. Now I'm not saying definitely go ahead and do physics, but you should definitely consider the possibility that what you want to do now is not the same as what you will want to do in ten years. When I was doing my GCSEs (I started them ten years ago) I thought I wanted to be a physicist, too. I didn't even finish my four year physics degree (did three years and graduated with a BSc instead of MPhys) before I realised I didn't want to be a physicist. I'm now doing something else I love which is related to physics but much more applied to the real world. I had no idea I wanted to do this until my third year of university and having done three years of physics at university have put me in a very strong position.

Another point to make is that while your parents want the best for you, allowing them to mould you in their image is bad for you, as you're not really thinking for yourself then.

tbh though, I'd argue that there are similar, if not more, number of possible career options. It'd be just as hard for a physics grad to get into the biomedical field or medicine related businesses imo. Do agree on the possible academic postgrad paths though. Medicine does restrict you a bit more than general natural sciences, but that's more or less applicable to biomedical fields. But as said, don't think it'd make that much of a career difference in terms of opportunities outside of academic fields.

In regards to OP, pay isn't that good for most medics considering the effort. You get roughly 60k a year for 8 years after graduation (if you do become a surgeon/consultant, but GPs are roughly the same so meh.), which adding 5/6 years of uni means 13 years spent. In that time, you'd have gotten a PhD if in academia, or roughly the same amount of money. Add to that your specialty will more or less determine whether you'd get any additional income from private practice/shortage-so-expensive-overtime/awards, it isn't that safe a path for financial success. On the other hand, no matter the pay, it still boasts one of the highest, if not the highest, employment rates of any field. As everyone says, IB pays more than what a junior doc would make, and a consultant would with the same number of experience/years. It also really annoys you when you're still in uni and your Econs buddy starts a job in the City for 50k pa :colonhash:

Can't beat the job security though. Unless you get struck off the register. Then you're more or less screwed.
(edited 7 years ago)

Mind if i ask what your job is ? Lately i've been researching jobs with physics to be sure that's what i want to study when i go to uni. Best i've seen so far are NHS medical physicist, Teacher/lecturer and researcher.
Reply 9
Original post by VNN

Thanks.

1) Do physics, re-evaluate your life after the degree (if you want to do Medicine after you can always do a grad scheme, though i'd be amazed if you do)

2) I'm confused why your parents would want you to go into medicine...most doctors I talk to are telling their progeny the exact opposite. The hours are horrible, it's a long training programme, the pay has been cut, it's dangerously unsafe, your colleagues in other professions are being

3) High pay? There are many ways to reach the same or more money in other fields...engineering for example

4) Respect? Just look at the media, by the time you would qualify the respect will have completely dissipated.

5) Unless your dad is corrupt, it's only gonna be a little easier because he's a doctor...and then if he is corrupt I suppose the GMC will catch up with him (they always do) and it'll make it more difficult. (this was a joke) However, what isn't a joke is that people who do Medicine because there parents thing it's a good thing are actively sought out for rejection...ask any admissions office.

6) Log out of TSR and go get some work experience in a hospital/GP practice/care home, research some careers in physics and get some work experience with the ones that sound interesting

This person has a point.

Medicine is a vocational degree you graduate as Dr., physics is academic. However, that does not mean if you do a medical degree you have to work in a hospital, GP practice etc. Grad schemes are still open to you if you figure it's wrong for you or you can do law conversions, go into finance, management etc. It is a valuable degree to have...however the degree goes on far to long for you not at least to plan on being a hospital doctor/surgeon/GP at the start.

In short, I don't think Medicine closes more doors...it just makes the corridor longer.

Original post by hslakaal
tbh though, I'd argue that there are similar, if not more, number of possible career options. It'd be just as hard for a physics grad to get into the biomedical field or medicine related businesses imo. Do agree on the possible academic postgrad paths though. Medicine does restrict you a bit more than general natural sciences, but that's more or less applicable to biomedical fields. But as said, don't think it'd make that much of a career difference in terms of opportunities outside of academic fields.

In regards to OP, pay isn't that good for most medics considering the effort. You get roughly 60k a year for 8 years after graduation (if you do become a surgeon/consultant, but GPs are roughly the same so meh.), which adding 5/6 years of uni means 13 years spent. In that time, you'd have gotten a PhD if in academia, or roughly the same amount of money. Add to that your specialty will more or less determine whether you'd get any additional income from private practice/shortage-so-expensive-overtime/awards, it isn't that safe a path for financial success. On the other hand, no matter the pay, it still boasts one of the highest, if not the highest, employment rates of any field. As everyone says, IB pays more than what a junior doc would make, and a consultant would with the same number of experience/years. It also really annoys you when you're still in uni and your Econs buddy starts a job in the City for 50k pa :colonhash:

Can't beat the job security though. Unless you get struck off the register. Then you're more or less screwed.

True dat. And the lawyers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by VNN

Thanks.
Do what you want to do. You might be a good surgeon but if you don't enjoy it you won't be as good at it as you'd be as a physicist.
If you love physics (which you clearly do) be a physicist. Medicine not the land of hope and glory your parents think it is.
Original post by RossB1702
Mind if i ask what your job is ? Lately i've been researching jobs with physics to be sure that's what i want to study when i go to uni. Best i've seen so far are NHS medical physicist, Teacher/lecturer and researcher.

Well I'm still at university, but I'm doing a PhD in physical processes in volcanoes. It's not physics, but it is related and having a physics degree (even just a BSc rather than MPhys) is massively useful for understanding my work.
Original post by -Simon-
1) Do physics, re-evaluate your life after the degree (if you want to do Medicine after you can always do a grad scheme, though i'd be amazed if you do)

2) I'm confused why your parents would want you to go into medicine...most doctors I talk to are telling their progeny the exact opposite. The hours are horrible, it's a long training programme, the pay has been cut, it's dangerously unsafe, your colleagues in other professions are being

3) High pay? There are many ways to reach the same or more money in other fields...engineering for example

4) Respect? Just look at the media, by the time you would qualify the respect will have completely dissipated.

5) Unless your dad is corrupt, it's only gonna be a little easier because he's a doctor...and then if he is corrupt I suppose the GMC will catch up with him (they always do) and it'll make it more difficult. (this was a joke) However, what isn't a joke is that people who do Medicine because there parents thing it's a good thing are actively sought out for rejection...ask any admissions office.

6) Log out of TSR and go get some work experience in a hospital/GP practice/care home, research some careers in physics and get some work experience with the ones that sound interesting

This person has a point.

Medicine is a vocational degree you graduate as Dr., physics is academic. However, that does not mean if you do a medical degree you have to work in a hospital, GP practice etc. Grad schemes are still open to you if you figure it's wrong for you or you can do law conversions, go into finance, management etc. It is a valuable degree to have...however the degree goes on far to long for you not at least to plan on being a hospital doctor/surgeon/GP at the start.

In short, I don't think Medicine closes more doors...it just makes the corridor longer.

True dat. And the lawyers.

I completely agree with your second point...Actually i have messed the text up...My dad who is the surgeon does encourage and ALSO discourage me...He says that he worked way to hard and he has low pay(E.G=When he asked for mortgage on a new house he was complaining how much he was questioned financially,ETC...)...Also he says that job has lost its charm too...HOWEVER MY MUM SAYS IT IS AMAZING AND THE ULTIMATE AND THE ONLY CAREER FOR ME(She is a mathematician though)...

You seem like you know a lot,so I'M guessing you could help...

Is what my dad saying true?BTW i don't trust his view completely as he studied in India and came to the UK but even though he is a consultant I'M assuming the gap between India and UK extended his time to become a consultant and surgeons in America are very well paid as i researched and the average neurosurgeon with a few years experience has a average salary of 540k!!!

Also my dad is a (reconstructive) plastic surgeon...

Has medicine:

Lost its charm
Pay significantly decreased
Financially stressed
Mentally stressed
No overall satisfied
ETC...

The only good point my dad ever mentions is the job security...
He says he would not pick it again if he had the choice...

Any thoughts from anyone?
Original post by VNN
I completely agree with your second point...Actually i have messed the text up...My dad who is the surgeon does encourage and ALSO discourage me...He says that he worked way to hard and he has low pay(E.G=When he asked for mortgage on a new house he was complaining how much he was questioned financially,ETC...)...Also he says that job has lost its charm too...HOWEVER MY MUM SAYS IT IS AMAZING AND THE ULTIMATE AND THE ONLY CAREER FOR ME(She is a mathematician though)...

You seem like you know a lot,so I'M guessing you could help...

Is what my dad saying true?BTW i don't trust his view completely as he studied in India and came to the UK but even though he is a consultant I'M assuming the gap between India and UK extended his time to become a consultant and surgeons in America are very well paid as i researched and the average neurosurgeon with a few years experience has a average salary of 540k!!!

Also my dad is a (reconstructive) plastic surgeon...

Has medicine:

Lost its charm
Pay significantly decreased
Financially stressed
Mentally stressed
No overall satisfied
ETC...

The only good point my dad ever mentions is the job security...
He says he would not pick it again if he had the choice...

Any thoughts from anyone?

I only know what I have experienced and discussed with people I have worked with, you should definitely take on a lot of opinions but the decision you make at the end should be yours alone. I would take the opinions of Medicine of those who aren't doctors (including my own as I haven't graduated) with a pinch of salt, they really don't know the job so can't tell you. Your parents might know you the best out of anyone, doesn't mean they will make the right career choice for you.

The career is right for people who want to help people, work in an environment that is both mentally and physically stimulating and people who want to see a difference quickly. If you are considering doing Medicine for financial gain you are making a huge mistake. The salaries in the US are much larger, they also have a lot more to pay in insurance. I am gonna go with the very generic statement that you will never earn signficantly more than £100, 000 as a surgeon in the UK until you are around 35. This is an oversimplification but i've been doing the numbers with by housemate and it's a fair estimate. A job like plastics can draw in lucrative private practice after you have some experience as a consultant, however, it's very competitive. Trust me, don't expect to become rich with Medicine, doesn't happen often in the UK.

Has it lost its charm? Hard to answer, I have only experienced the current system and even then not been paid for the job or done the full job as an F1 or any other grade. The system has changed hugely and the health service you would be going into (2023!) will be very different to what it is now and will be hugely different to what your parent started in.

Pay decreased? Not really. It's just not great for the hours and emotional stress. Look here: https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/pay

Financially stressed? Not if you live within your means.

Emotionally/mentally stressed? You could be responsible for some of the worst things that ever happen to another human...or some of the best.

Overall satisfied? Come on! You can't ask a question like that. Some people are satisfied living in a tent painting, some enjoy sailing or flying or drinking...your job won't give you overall satisfaction. No job will.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending