The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by michaela__
I doubt I'll average over 600 lmao, I hope the partners scheme works out so I can get an interview or I've completely wasted an option ffs😭 keep me updated with your ukcat though because I'm interested in what decision you make about partners as I'll have to do the same ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do
Reply 41
I'm think of applying but with a UKCAT average score of 737 is that realistic?
Original post by Lynn101
I'm think of applying but with a UKCAT average score of 737 is that realistic?

Yes. It is. Unless this year there is one section that has heavily inflated scores, but it is a very strong average. It surpasses all previous years' cut off scores, apart from the year when DM had a very high average score. I think you have a very good chance of interview.
Personally I'd give Newcastle a miss. I've a friend there and I know from him that the pastoral support isn't great. No allowance if your work suffers because of personal problems even if they aren't your fault, the med school just tells you to redo the year. I heard one guy spent £90,000 in court appealing against their marking system.
When a medical school has a no resits policy does this include resitting even 1 paper? My friend did this with one of her maths papers and she got into QUB and offers from 2 other med schools (Cardiff and Birmingham) even though they don't accept resits. If I want to go to Newcastle do u think it would be okay to resit one of my chem papers ? (I got a B at AS)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ameehannah
When a medical school has a no resits policy does this include resitting even 1 paper? My friend did this with one of her maths papers and she got into QUB and offers from 2 other med schools (Cardiff and Birmingham) even though they don't accept resits. If I want to go to Newcastle do u think it would be okay to resit one of my chem papers ? (I got a B at AS)

As long as you complete the A level within 2 years, your should be fine, I think
Original post by ameehannah

I've heard that Newcastle don't even allow you to resit AS modules and they've rejected people for this in the past, I checked their admissions document but it's a bit confusing
In that case, it might be best to email admissions.
Reply 48
Does anyone think like me, that the cut-off will sky rocket this year?
Original post by G.name
Does anyone think like me, that the cut-off will sky rocket this year?

Maybe. Wait at least for the interim results before coming to conclusions, though.
Reply 50
Original post by Gogregg
Maybe. Wait at least for the interim results before coming to conclusions, though.

It wasn't a conclusion; just a prediction, albeit on no hard evidence. :tongue:

G
Reply 51
Original post by G.name
It wasn't a conclusion; just a prediction, albeit on no hard evidence. :tongue:

G

I emphasise the hard though. The poll on here, I would regard as soft. There're clearly more people reaching 700+. If people are misled by past cut-offs, it could make this year's very, very high indeed.
Original post by G.name
I emphasise the hard though. The poll on here, I would regard as soft. There're clearly more people reaching 700+. If people are misled by past cut-offs, it could make this year's very, very high indeed.

You do have to remember that this is TSR, it isn't representative. People who do better are more likely to share their results.
I, too, somewhat think that averages may be higher, but i don't know. It may just be irrational fear on my behalf.
Reply 53
Original post by Gogregg
You do have to remember that this is TSR, it isn't representative. People who do better are more likely to share their results.
I, too, somewhat think that averages may be higher, but i don't know. It may just be irrational fear on my behalf.

Relative with past polls on here I mean. And it's not irrational, totally; the evidence I've cited is plain to see.
Original post by G.name
Relative with past polls on here I mean. And it's not irrational, totally; the evidence I've cited is plain to see.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see :redface:

Fingers crossed they won't be much higher, though :lol:
Reply 55
Original post by G.name

but the section that pulled a lot of others' averages up is out and the section that knocks a lot of people down is still there. surely the average will go down?
Reply 56
Original post by chrisdale98
but the section that pulled a lot of others' averages up is out and the section that knocks a lot of people down is still there. surely the average will go down?

Your argument's not bad. But at the moment, the evidence, i.e. the poll, shows otherwise. My explanation for that is that now there are fewer sections to prepare for; by spending more time on each, people will gain a greater proficiency on the remaining tests. Too, there's a redundant section, DM; that'll allow people time off to repose before they start QR. And as with every year, more advice is promulgating, through forums such as this. Those are my reasons, to expect a rise.

G
Reply 57
It's a shame, because at first, I thought my score was good. :frown:
Reply 58
Original post by G.name
Your argument's not bad. But at the moment, the evidence, i.e. the poll, shows otherwise. My explanation for that is that now there are fewer sections to prepare for; by spending more time on each, people will gain a greater proficiency on the remaining tests. Too, there's a redundant section, DM; that'll allow people time off to repose before they start QR. And as with every year, more advice is promulgating, through forums such as this. Those are my reasons, to expect a rise.

G

Commonly TSR polls suggest a higher average of scores than actually materialises because:

a) people that score highly are significantly more likely to participate in polling than those with a low score

b) generally medical applicants that use TSR have also used other materials to prepare for the UKCAT, meaning that many TSR poll participants are likely some of the best prepared UKCAT test-takers, which often (but not always) is reflected in higher scores than the overall average

c) anybody can contribute to TSR polls and they are not immune to trolls skewing the data

So, take the TSR polls with a pinch of salt and good luck!
Reply 59
Original post by G.name

G

Ive had these thoughts too. Ive heard VR is taking no prisoners this year tho...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending