The Student Room Group

Got an A in GCSE Maths - is A in A-level Further Maths possible?

I got an A in maths and I consistently would get A's in class mocks as well very rarely A*s or Bs. To people who have done further maths, were you or others in you class like this and how did they/you do?
Original post by Sint
I got an A in maths and I consistently would get A's in class mocks as well very rarely A*s or Bs. To people who have done further maths, were you or others in you class like this and how did they/you do?

depends on how hard you worked for that A, but a-level further maths is so much harder than GCSE so the general presumption is that if you cannot get A* in something as easy as GCSE maths then how on earth can you get an A/A* in a-level, when it is so much harder- but this is only the case if you worked really really hard for that A in GCSE maths.
Did you do further maths gcse?
Reply 3
No it wasn't offered at our school
Reply 4
most places recommend you have an A* at gcse maths before considering further maths
yes it is

just study hard. forget about people saying you need an A*
Reply 6
I know someone who did A at GCSE who went on to get AA at Maths and FM. He worked incredibly hard to achieve it and has just graduated with a 2i in Physics from Durham. However, I know plenty of people with an A at GCSE who struggle at single Maths as they don't put sufficient effort in.

Quick Reply

Latest