The Student Room Group

Do girls do Further Maths ?

Scroll to see replies

In my Further Maths class of three, one was a girl. In the year above I think there was one out of five. However in the year below there are two out of three.
Reply 41
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
I'm curious about this. When I started AS Further Maths last september there were 8 students in the class. All but 2 of the students were boys. This september 5 students will be continuing A Level Further Maths of which none are girls. Peeps I genuinely have this question in mind : Do (enough) girls do Further Maths? Haven't seen any on TSR!

Yes. We do FM too.
Reply 42
Original post by RDKGames
My FM class had only 5 of us and were all boys. The year below us has 5 people as well, one of which is a girl. So really, don't expect females to think so much as far as maths goes. :wink:

You think you're being funny?
Reply 43
I took further maths and there's only 3 of us out of 18 who are girls. There's also only myself and 2 other girls in my physics class compared to 20ish guys...
Original post by shuu00
You think you're being funny?

Don't be so triggered and learn to take a joke.
Reply 45
Don't be so triggered and learn to take a joke.

I don't consider sexist remarks to be 'jokes'. You have pretty *****y humour :wink:
Original post by shuu00
I don't consider sexist remarks to be 'jokes'. You have pretty *****y humour :wink:

Wait wait... are you saying you didn't like my joke???? Huh/???? CAN'T BE!! OH NO! A PERSON WHO DOESN'T LIKE A SPECIFIC TYPE OF HUMOUR!!!! HOW CAN I TELL JOKES IF EVERY SINGLE PERSON DOESN'T LIKE THEM?!?! GOD FORBID MY HUMOUR NOT SATISFYING EVERYONE'S HUMOUR TASTE ARGHHHHH :woo::woo::woo::woo:

*explodes*
Reply 47
Original post by shuu00

ur a joke

Spoiler

Reply 48
Wait wait... are you saying you didn't like my joke???? Huh/???? CAN'T BE!! OH NO! A PERSON WHO DOESN'T LIKE A SPECIFIC TYPE OF HUMOUR!!!! HOW CAN I TELL JOKES IF EVERY SINGLE PERSON DOESN'T LIKE THEM?!?! GOD FORBID MY HUMOUR NOT SATISFYING EVERYONE'S HUMOUR TASTE ARGHHHHH :woo::woo::woo::woo:

*explodes*

Sure, humour is subjective; certain things probably shouldn't be 'joked' about though. You (and most people) probably wouldn't make a racist joke, so why a sexist one? :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Reply 49
I go to a boys school and there's a girl that does further maths. That's not even a joke.
Original post by shuu00
Sure, humour is subjective; certain things probably shouldn't be 'joked' about though. You (and most people) probably wouldn't make a racist joke, so why a sexist one? :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

But I do make racist jokes when the time is right, though. Giving that privilege only to sexism would be more ironic than iron itself. I'm not even from here and I joke about foreigners coming here and stealing jobs, so technically I am going against everyone and even myself equally. Nobody is special. :smile:
Yeah there are some gyaldem but mostly mandem
Reply 52
But *I do make racist jokes* when the time is right, though. Giving that privilege only to sexism would be more ironic than iron itself. I'm not even from here and I joke about foreigners coming here and stealing jobs, so technically I am going against everyone and even myself equally. Nobody is special. :smile:

Being foreign yourself doesn't justify your racism.

Spoiler

Original post by shuu00
Being foreign yourself doesn't justify your racism.

Doesn't it? Alright then, I make jokes about white people too. There.
Reply 54
Doesn't it? Alright then, I make jokes about white people too. There.

And that makes it any better because?
Original post by shuu00
And that makes it any better because?

Because rather than joking about something specific, I joke about the entire family that the joke arises from. Fairness. Is this really that hard to understand? You must be a blast at parties. :colonhash:

Anyway, you're derailing the thread.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 56
@shuu00
@RDKGames

Ladies, this is the Maths forum. Where intelligent people like myself congregate to help solve interesting maths problems. If you'd like to argue please take it outside.
Reply 57
Original post by shuu00

I think you have a misunderstanding of jokes.
Jokes cannot be racist or sexist. Jokes that you perceive as racist or sexist are almost exclusively making fun of racism or sexism; they partly derive their humour from the shock value of racism or sexism, which only works because most people find such positions abhorrent. The maker can be, though you have little way of knowing, bigoted themselves, but the joke itself? Nope. Jokes are jokes. They are intended to elicit a response. They make no moral or political statement. Let me give you an example:

"How many cops does it take to change a lightbulb?"
"None, they just beat the room because it's black."

This makes light of the fact that black people are often disproportionately targeted by police. But is the joke itself "racist"? Of course not. If anything, it is anti-racist.

Those who derive the most humour from prejudicial sentiments are most likely to be least prejudiced, because they recognise the absurdity of said prejudices to the greatest extent, hence their finding humour in it. It is utterly facile, anti-intellectual, and, ultimately, moronic, to proclaim that the pedlars of supposedly prejudiced jokes are themselves prejudiced.
ALL my friends who are female do further maths AND science.

Loads of girls do further maths where I live? Where the hell are you living?!
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
I reckon Physics at A level or University is male-dominated. Is it true Biology female-dominated?

* Directed at everyone

Imo that's 100% the case! I'm doing Bio and Physics A-levels (as well as Chem and French), and whilst there's probably 70% girls 30% boys in Biology, I'm the only girl in my Physics class, and one of 4 girls out of 25 physics students!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest