The Student Room Group

Political correctness kills

Scroll to see replies

It's disappointing to see those on the degenerate right trying to use the tragic suicide of a young girl to score points online.
Its dissapointing to see those on the regressive left creating and harnessing a culture of fear and silence, intimidation and bullying to make others conform to their views
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TurboCretin
Again, the fanciful thing is the presumption of her killing herself over it, not just fearing it.

As for the evidentiary point, you seem to agree with me. That said, you seem to differ with respect to how reasonable it is to publish one's speculations in a national newspaper. We're talking about suggestions that a young girl committed suicide because she was afraid of repercussions from a racial minority group - that's not harmless conjecture, it's the kind of thing which stirs hate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/28/teenage-girl-killed-herself-amid-fears-she-would-be-branded-raci/

"From speaking to her friends in the weeks following her death, we discovered that the image had circulated further than she wanted it to.

"There had been some negative reaction and she confided in her friend, who did take the image down at her request, that she was scared of what the reaction might be from the Asian community in her area."
Original post by Betelgeuse-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/28/teenage-girl-killed-herself-amid-fears-she-would-be-branded-raci/

"From speaking to her friends in the weeks following her death, we discovered that the image had circulated further than she wanted it to.
"There had been some negative reaction and she confided in her friend, who did take the image down at her request, that she was scared of what the reaction might be from the Asian community in her area."

And where does it show that she killed herself because of that?
You are claiming she killed herself because if sjw, the burden of proof is on you to prove that link and you have not.

You've simply stated she feared a backlash (which may or may not have happened). Nowhere have you shown a link between that and her killing herself.

You are speculating on the tragic suicide of a young girl in order to attack the political left. Its pathetic opportunism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bornblue
And where does it show that she killed herself because of that?
You are claiming she killed herself because if sjw, the burden of proof is on you to prove that link and you have not.

You've simply stated she feared a backlash (which may or may not have happened). Nowhere have you shown a link between that and her killing herself.

You are speculating on the tragic suicide of a young girl in order to attack the political left. Its pathetic opportunism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Her friends and police verified that she had faced a "negative reaction" . There is no speculating, there is no opportunism
Again, the fanciful thing is the presumption of her killing herself over it, not just fearing it.

As for the evidentiary point, you seem to agree with me. That said, you seem to differ with respect to how reasonable it is to publish one's speculations in a national newspaper. We're talking about suggestions that a young girl committed suicide because she was afraid of repercussions from a racial minority group - that's not harmless conjecture, it's the kind of thing which stirs hate.

It is reasonable that her fearing the repercussions of her "racism" lead to her suicide, considering the current political climate, the age of the girl and the statement given by the detective:

From speaking to her friends in the weeks following her death, we discovered that the image had circulated further than she wanted it to. There had been some negative reaction and she confided in her friend, who did take the image down at her request, that she was scared of what the reaction might be from the Asian community in her area.

It seems highly unlikely the reason would be anything else considering the timing and the fact that the friends and the detective do not mention another factor. I don't think anyone could be accused of stirring hate; it's a completely logical conclusion to draw, but one that is fallible of course.
Her friends and police verified that she had faced a "negative reaction" . There is no speculating, there is no opportunism

Did the police verify that? Who did the negative reaction come from?
And where does it say that led to her committing suicide? Where is the causal link?

It's pure speculation to assert that's why she committed suicide. Prove the link.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bornblue
Did the police verify that? Who did the negative reaction come from?
And where does it say that led to her committing suicide? Where is the causal link?

It's pure speculation to assert that's why she committed suicide. Prove the link.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes its in the article i gave you and which you responded too. It was what the police gave as evidence at the inquest...:colonhash:
Yes its in the article i gave you and which you responded too. It was what the police gave as evidence at the inquest...:colonhash:

Deary me. Where does it prove that the reason she killed herself was because she feared a backlash? You haven't linked the two.

Besides it says the backlash she feared was from the Asian community, not sjws.

You need to show proof that she killed herself because if this negative backlash. You have not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's a difference between avoiding offending someone and political correctness. Society needs to learn the difference... It seems people can be offended by anything today.
Original post by Trapz99
So if a Muslim girl killed herself because of mean tweets she got from UKIP- supporters can we blame right wing culture for that? No

No, because "right wing" is far to wide a scope, while SJWism is perpetrated by minority of loud morons.
Original post by macromicro
It is reasonable that her fearing the repercussions of her "racism" lead to her suicide, considering the current political climate, the age of the girl and the statement given by the detective:

It seems highly unlikely the reason would be anything else considering the timing and the fact that the friends and the detective do not mention another factor. I don't think anyone could be accused of stirring hate; it's a completely logical conclusion to draw, but one that is fallible of course.

How do you know these were the only comments made? You have read them in an article the political slant of which is under discussion.*

Just to reiterate - it's quite possible your conclusions are right, I just don't see how you get there with such conviction.*
People whinge about political correctness to cover up the fact that their opinions are discriminatory in one way or another.
How do you know these were the only comments made? You have read them in an article the political slant of which is under discussion.

The comments were made at an inquest so if newspapers differed on their reporting it would be obvious who was misreporting (not to mention the PCC would not be too happy). But I suppose you have to have some element of trust when reading any article in any national paper. I do find it difficult to believe The Telegraph and The Independent would risk damaging their overall credibility by twisting a story on the suicide of a young girl. That is a hefty stake for minimal return.

To be honest, I wouldn't be particularly surprised if the detective and papers were wrong, but that doesn't mean the latter were stirring the pot or drawing illogical conclusions. Suicide cases are notoriously difficult and massive twists have arisen at no particular fault of the media or police. I remember the Phoebe Prince one was particularly contentious.
Original post by macromicro
She didn't leave a note so of course it's speculation - by everyone. The parents have said nothing prior was wrong with her and she was completely normal in the weeks leading up to the suicide.

I don't think it is too large or fanciful a leap to presume she was scared of the repercussions of her "racism" which was posted online on Instagram. Perhaps there were other factors at play, but to disregard her fear of backlash as a large one seems disingenuous given the material we have and given the hyper-sensitive ultra-PC environment we are currently in.

I do agree that there is nothing concrete, though there rarely is in shock suicides.

Many people do incredibly well at hiding mental disorders such as depression and anxiety from their family and others close to them. For someone to take her life under those circumstances, most likely she was dealing with other issues. Whether or not that event gave her the extra push is completely uncertain.
Original post by WBZ144
Many people do incredibly well at hiding mental disorders such as depression and anxiety from their family and others close to them. For someone to take her life under those circumstances, most likely she was dealing with other issues. Whether or not that event gave her the extra push is completely uncertain.

It's not "completely uncertain" - it was explicitly stated by her friends/the detective and so certainly had some importance. I do agree though that other factors not divulged to anyone, like depression, could have easily been at play here.
no denying the perpetually offended would have crucified her and she would have had to live this this following her no matter what she did afterwards.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending