The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
Quote notification function not working? :s-smilie:

Still don't see how you can't say it's realistic after Leicester just won the league at a canter. We have the 5th most money in the league and one of the best managers in the world. So I don't think it's unrealistic aiming for the league title in a season where we have no European football and the manager seemingly having bought the players he wanted.

Yea I'm sure he is a quality fullback but I meant more about not being a goalscorer. Another example would be Gary Neville. Top top quality fullback but in 602 appearances, he scored a massive 7 goals and obviously one of those would've been against us :facepalm:

Yea Can will come back in once fit. It's odd that Wijnaldum is playing so much. Be interesting if Henderson or Wijnaldum gets dropped once Can is back.

Just angry about not addressing obvious issues in our team in the transfer window. We must be close to £10-15mil net profit this window even though we should have another 20-30mil to spend extra due to all the increased income.

Another £50mil spend on our side whether a quality midfield player and leftback could make a world of difference..

Tbh it won't get any better.. we play Leicester and Chelsea next two games. Such a brutal start to our season :facepalm:

I'm not sure we'll go to a proper midfield three? Unless you count Lallana as part of that three? Sometimes it's hard to tell what our side is doing exactly since they seem pretty fluid.

Well it seemed like our midfield gets bypassed too easily. Although saying that our defence seem to give opposition attackers too much time/space too. Whenever Spurs played the ball up the field, it seemed to stick.

Yea I guess our defending starts from the front with the pressing. Just not sure what our defence is doing at the moment :colondollar:

Just need to work out if it is the system failing or individual players. For me, the Spurs goal was created from Milner pressing at the wrong time otherwise it should've been snuffed out.

I always find it difficult to work out stuff like that. For me, Henderson is a better presser than Can. The easy Coutinho miss chance was started from a Henderson press I believe. Tbh I'm not sold on Can's passing either. For me, the main attributes that Can brings are strength to the midfield and the ability to carry the ball forward. But yea I do think Can coming in will improve us. As above, not sure if he comes in for Henderson or Wijnaldum.

Good news. Markovic and Balotelli the only obvious names we might want to shift this summer? Perhaps Ings and Sakho too if rumours are believed.

Notifications is glitched.

Yeah, Balotelli I think have a few offers, Markovic loan. There was also Wisdom to Celtic rumours yesterday I think but that's now unlikely. Also Randall to Preston on loan one of our youngsters.
what on earth is the point of you lot?

if itv4 were a team
Wisdom to Celtic seems OFF but he's set to join Red Bull Salzburg on loan.

Balotelli set to join Nice

ings loan to Sunderland rejected.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
what on earth is the point of you lot?

if itv4 were a team

We're like those awesome re-runs that everyone knows and loves.

What's the point of Arsenal? It's like watching the Antiques Roadshow with Wenger in charge.

Original post by mr tim
Wisdom to Celtic seems OFF but he's set to join Red Bull Salzburg on loan.

Balotelli set to join Nice

ings loan to Sunderland rejected.

Surprised we're sending Wisdom on loan too (considering Flanagan has gone on loan too) considering we don't have much fullback cover..

Be good to get Balotelli off the books. I think his contract expires next summer - thankfully we only gave him 3 years (and not 4-5 as is norm). Not sure why Ings is rejecting a loan move, he won't really get any chance here.
Thinking about it, I'd quite like to see the following formation tried out:

....Firmino..Sturridge..Mane
................Coutinho............
.........Henderson...Can.......
Moreno..Lovren..Matip..Clyne
..................Karius.............

Basically a 4-3-3 so Coutinho isn't so much behind the striker but rather part of the midfield three (but as the most advanced of the trio).

I think Firmino and Mane have the pace and stamina to play the wider roles, to drift but also track back if needed. Coutinho would need to hold central so that Henderson and Can drop wider/deeper to help cover the fullbacks if needed. Would give Coutinho more time to influence the game with his vision and he'd be central enough to get the ball and spin.
Reply 9285
Thinking about it, I'd quite like to see the following formation tried out:

....Firmino..Sturridge..Mane
................Coutinho............
.........Henderson...Can.......
Moreno..Lovren..Matip..Clyne
..................Karius.............

Basically a 4-3-3 so Coutinho isn't so much behind the striker but rather part of the midfield three (but as the most advanced of the trio).

I think Firmino and Mane have the pace and stamina to play the wider roles, to drift but also track back if needed. Coutinho would need to hold central so that Henderson and Can drop wider/deeper to help cover the fullbacks if needed. Would give Coutinho more time to influence the game with his vision and he'd be central enough to get the ball and spin.

That's a very strong line up, provided Sturridge is fit!
I would like to see Origi and Ings get more chances.
Also when Joe Gomez returns from injury, he could be a good option for Left Back.
Original post by Glib
That's a very strong line up, provided Sturridge is fit!
I would like to see Origi and Ings get more chances.
Also when Joe Gomez returns from injury, he could be a good option for Left Back.

Origi hasn't looked great so far this season. Not sure if he's not fit or struggling with anything. Maybe he'll be better after the international break.

Who would you drop for Ings? I think every other player offers a little more than him in other departments.
Reply 9287
Origi hasn't looked great so far this season. Not sure if he's not fit or struggling with anything. Maybe he'll be better after the international break.

Who would you drop for Ings? I think every other player offers a little more than him in other departments.

It is a really tough choice and must be a headache for Jurgen.
Depending how well Sturridge performs over the international break (if he plays) Ings could start ahead of him against Leicester?

Cannot wait to see the main stand filling up for that game!
Original post by Glib
It is a really tough choice and must be a headache for Jurgen.
Depending how well Sturridge performs over the international break (if he plays) Ings could start ahead of him against Leicester?

Cannot wait to see the main stand filling up for that game!

Ings is like 4/th5th choice..

Origi
Firmino
Sturridge
Probably Mane before we turn to Ings..?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37224133

Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho has turned down moves to West Brom and Stoke City after being told he can leave on loan.

The 26-year-old France defender is free to resume his career after a doping case against him was dismissed by Uefa.

Sakho also was sent home from the club's pre-season tour of the USA following allegations of indiscipline.

He has been told that he is not currently part of Liverpool's first-team plans by manager Jurgen Klopp.

Liverpool are hopeful Sakho will find a club before Wednesday's transfer deadline as it has been made clear he will have to move to get games.
Reply 9289
Ings is like 4/th5th choice..

Origi
Firmino
Sturridge
Probably Mane before we turn to Ings..?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37224133

Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho has turned down moves to West Brom and Stoke City after being told he can leave on loan.

The 26-year-old France defender is free to resume his career after a doping case against him was dismissed by Uefa.

Sakho also was sent home from the club's pre-season tour of the USA following allegations of indiscipline.

He has been told that he is not currently part of Liverpool's first-team plans by manager Jurgen Klopp.

Liverpool are hopeful Sakho will find a club before Wednesday's transfer deadline as it has been made clear he will have to move to get games.

Shame, seems like a nice guy and he was making a decent partnership with Lovren. Things could be so much different if we had him for the Europa League Final.
Hopefully Matip and Klavan can eventually sort out our defence.
Apparently Sakho has to go on loan to save his career. Sunderland are interested now in loaning him after he rejected Stoke.

Balotelli is close to a loan to Nice.
Anybody seen that we've apparently bid £30m for the Brazilian striker, Luan, who plays for Gremio? Seen this on the BBC rumours section, unsure if true. Seems a bit of a strange one to simply make up though.
Original post by Glib
Shame, seems like a nice guy and he was making a decent partnership with Lovren. Things could be so much different if we had him for the Europa League Final.
Hopefully Matip and Klavan can eventually sort out our defence.

Yea that ban really messed him up but he's obviously pissed off Klopp somehow. Klavan is only a stop gap I feel so we're really relying on Matip and Lovren to stay fit..

Original post by mr tim
Apparently Sakho has to go on loan to save his career. Sunderland are interested now in loaning him after he rejected Stoke.

Balotelli is close to a loan to Nice.

If he's rejected Stoke, why would he go to Sunderland? I feel like he might stay till Xmas..
Can to miss Germany's game due to injury on his foot.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1472594857.484021.jpg

Training with one hand :biggrin:

I love this man already...
Original post by Lúcio
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1472594857.484021.jpg

Training with one hand :biggrin:

I love this man already...

I have high hopes for him. He's due back at the end of September - wonder if we'll see him play in the Derby game (league cup) on 20 September or we've got Swansea and Hull and then we're into the October international break. Can't see us throwing him in against Man Utd in his first game?

International breaks upset me :frown:
No club football fan likes international breaks. FACT.
Sakho, Ilori and Markovic are likely to stay. All 3 unlikely to play for the 1st team.

Balotelli completes medical at Nice but Nice and Liverpool remain in discussions.
Original post by mr tim
Sakho, Ilori and Markovic are likely to stay. All 3 unlikely to play for the 1st team.

Balotelli completes medical at Nice but Nice and Liverpool remain in discussions.

I'm sure that will change over time with training and injuries to the first team re the first 3. Surprised we've not managed to send Ilori and Markovic on loan though.

Balotelli will be gone. We know he's going on a free next summer so we won't want him at the club for the rest of this season, even if it costs us more money.
Luis Alberto seals a permanent switch to Lazio

Latest