The Student Room Group

Please help me urgently

Before college started we were made to do english and numeracy tests. I got grade A in gcse maths but in the test i got entry level 3 :frown: i retook it three times and got the same result again. Do you think that could affect me taking a level maths with stats but also university options?
Was this that test which is like "A turkey weighs 26.5lb and the time needed to cook a turkey is 20 minutes + 5 per 10lb. How long does it take too cook?" and you don't have a calculator?

Ignore this test completely. Firstly, you will always have a calculator in maths (except C1) so its not worth worrying about. Secondly, its not 'real' maths - its numeracy. Lastly, I remember people who did really badly in this who were some of the best people at maths in my class. Its likely you weren't giving it proper attention (did you even use paper?)

Oh and, if it is the test I did, I don't even think universities know about it. I certainly didn't declare it and i don't even know what i got in it.
Original post by ah_x
Before college started we were made to do english and numeracy tests. I got grade A in gcse maths but in the test i got entry level 3 :frown: i retook it three times and got the same result again. Do you think that could affect me taking a level maths with stats but also university options?

I cant say for sure that the same rules apply at all colleges but in ours we did them at the start of the year too and it was more of an indication of how much you know I think, but it definitely didn't affect course entries
Reply 3
Original post by Marked Target
Was this that test which is like "A turkey weighs 26.5lb and the time needed to cook a turkey is 20 minutes + 5 per 10lb. How long does it take too cook?" and you don't have a calculator?

Ignore this test completely. Firstly, you will always have a calculator in maths (except C1) so its not worth worrying about. Secondly, its not 'real' maths - its numeracy. Lastly, I remember people who did really badly in this who were some of the best people at maths in my class. Its likely you weren't giving it proper attention (did you even use paper?)

Oh and, if it is the test I did, I don't even think universities know about it. I certainly didn't declare it and i don't even know what i got in it.

No it was questions about sandeep/liam's locker and which jeans were the longest. I thought i did really good and i put all my attention and tried my hardest but i still got entry level 3. I searched online and it said this was expected for 9-11 year olds and as im 16 im really scared i wont be able to do the options i want.
Reply 4
Original post by danielargument
I cant say for sure that the same rules apply at all colleges but in ours we did them at the start of the year too and it was more of an indication of how much you know I think, but it definitely didn't affect course entries

Im starting first year college next week and i did the test on my enrollment day but okay thanks i was just really worried
Original post by ah_x
No it was questions about sandeep/liam's locker and which jeans were the longest. I thought i did really good and i put all my attention and tried my hardest but i still got entry level 3. I searched online and it said this was expected for 9-11 year olds and as im 16 im really scared i wont be able to do the options i want.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I wouldn't pay much attention to it. If you can rearrange algebra you can do A level maths. I honestly find algebra easier than maths with numbers thrown in because you really don't use them nearly as much as you'd think in a maths a level.

(which jeans were longest? you mean like metric/imperial conversions? This is so irrelevant and imperial really should just die tbh)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Yeah, that sounds about right. I wouldn't pay much attention to it. If you can rearrange algebra you can do A level maths. I honestly find algebra easier than maths with numbers thrown in because you really don't use them nearly as much as you'd think in a maths a level.

(which jeans were longest? you mean like metric/imperial conversions? This is so irrelevant and imperial really should just die tbh)

no there was pictures of three jeans and you had select which one was the longest. I chose jean number 2. Im surprised i did so bad because i actually found it really easy apart from one question about how many cake tins could fit on the tray. I'd like to say im okay with algebra i dont find it that difficult and even my friends who got a C in maths iin gcse got higher than me
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ah_x
no there was pictures of three jeans and you had select which one was the longest. I chose jean number 2. Im surprised i did so bad because i actually found it really easy apart from one question about how many cake tins could fit on the tray. I'd like to say im okay with algebra i dont find it that difficult and even my friends who got a C in maths iin gcse got higher than me

wth? Just 3 pictures and it asked you to pick what was longer? You're worried about a test which had questions of that sort on it? Do you really consider stuff like that maths?

Trust me when i say, there is nothing like this in a maths a level.
Reply 8
wth? Just 3 pictures and it asked you to pick what was longer? You're worried about a test which had questions of that sort on it? Do you really consider stuff like that maths?

Trust me when i say, there is nothing like this in a maths a level.

yeah ik, thanks anyways i think im just taken back by the fact im categorised with 9-11 years old even with an A :frown: :'(
Reply 9
Those tests are bs. I did mine when going to college and got like level 2 but I have A in English and A* in maths
Reply 10
Original post by Devify
Those tests are bs. I did mine when going to college and got like level 2 but I have A in English and A* in maths

Level 2 is good, it means you got A*-C In gcse's
Original post by ah_x
Level 2 is good, it means you got A*-C In gcse's

Oh? And you didn't?

From what it sounds this test is just silly. I would just completely forget about it (easier said than done ik). Be confident in what you got at GCSE and how good you know yourself to be to be a better indicator of your ability.

I've always found I know when i can/cannot do something. I know how good i am regardless of how i do on tests. I've gotten 60% before when i know full well I'm more than capable of at least 80%.

Trust in yourself. The simple fact this bothers you suggests to me that you're an able student.
Reply 12
Oh? And you didn't?

From what it sounds this test is just silly. I would just completely forget about it (easier said than done ik). Be confident in what you got at GCSE and how good you know yourself to be to be a better indicator of your ability.

I've always found I know when i can/cannot do something. I know how good i am regardless of how i do on tests. I've gotten 60% before when i know full well I'm more than capable of at least 80%.

Trust in yourself. The simple fact this bothers you suggests to me that you're an able student.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the kind words and your help :smile: this has made feel a little less anxious than before :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest