The Student Room Group

WJEC IT3 A2 ICT Exam - Wednesday 22nd June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jessicajones1998
Oh I'm glad ! What did you write for the search engine one ???

Honestly, i wrote so much waffle it probably wont get any marks! What did you write?
Reply 121
I wrote the wrong unit code on my exam, am I screwed?
Original post by cayde

No mate, they'll know.
Hi all,
I thought the exam went well, but I am annoyed about question 15 (Section B), the one on the four methods to prevent loss of data. The problem with this question is that two sets of answers could`ve been used considering this question is very similar to an operational procedure question to prevent misuse to data. I was just wondering, did anyone, write the first set of answers or the second set of answers.

Screening potential employees Ensure staff are monitored
Fit employee to the task
CRB checks
Routines for distributing updated virus
information and virus scanning procedures
Ensuring virus signatures are updated
daily and distributed around the network
when a station logs in.
Establish firewalls/ proxy-servers
Define procedures for use of removable media,
personal backup procedures
How often done, have they got to use
special machines, etc
encryption of data / memory stick
Establish security rights for updating web
pages
Who/what /when
Establish a disaster recovery programme Who does what and when, including
checking the standby equipment
Backup plans, i.e. how often
NOT RISKS ANALYSIS
Set up auditing procedures (Audit trails) to
detect misuse
Who/what /when
Contiguous investigation of regularities
Query any transaction out of the ordinary
Logon on procedures / User id’s and
passwords / set up user accounts
(expansion would be to do with rules for
passwords)
Allocating access rights, etc
Change regularly
Don’t write it down
Use upper and lower case mix, etc
Call back procedures for remote access Who/what/when or why
Establish procedures for training staff Who/what/when or why

Or

Any four methods, discussed in appropriate detail:
Use virus scanners and virus removal software so that when sabotage takes place and somebody deliberately introduces a virus, it can be found and removed.
Controlling access to computer rooms by having locks on the door and only the staff member has the key and locks the door when he leaves. This will prevent people accessing the computer room and misusing data.
Methods to define security status and access rights for users so that only certain users can access*and change data. For example a clerk would see all the information on a customer account*but be unable to alter the hire rate details whilst a manager could.
Password systems so that the user needs a username and password in order to log into the system otherwise they cannot access the system, this means people without the password will not be able to access any files.

Thanks
Original post by cayde

Your exams officers should check them before sending them off. If you're worried speak to them and they can make sure it's sorted.
Original post by lemoncart
So let's say I did what you did. I only mention one application of disturbed computing. I lose one mark

I do it again for MIS. I mention three points each for good and poor, not four. That means another one mark lost?

So that's 2 marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well if you only mentioned 3 for each poor and good factors then you would have lost 2 marks all together in that question ! Which isn't bad at all
Original post by OwenSallows
Honestly, i wrote so much waffle it probably wont get any marks! What did you write?

I just memorise the mark scheme and write it like that so for example with the risk analysis question I wrote it like :

One factor which should be considered to minimise the risk of data is identifying the potential risks which include virus's, hacking, natural damage .....

And for advantages and disadvantages I write them like :

One advantage of mobile access is that you can surf emails, and use the Internet wherever you are on the move and you can also modify your plans which include flights , hotels and trains .....

If you get my drift ? I literally don't expand my points at all
Original post by Shezaan2011
Hi all,
I thought the exam went well, but I am annoyed about question 15 (Section B), the one on the four methods to prevent loss of data. The problem with this question is that two sets of answers could`ve been used considering this question is very similar to an operational procedure question to prevent misuse to data. I was just wondering, did anyone, write the first set of answers or the second set of answers.

Screening potential employees Ensure staff are monitored
Fit employee to the task
CRB checks
Routines for distributing updated virus
information and virus scanning procedures
Ensuring virus signatures are updated
daily and distributed around the network
when a station logs in.
Establish firewalls/ proxy-servers
Define procedures for use of removable media,
personal backup procedures
How often done, have they got to use
special machines, etc
encryption of data / memory stick
Establish security rights for updating web
pages
Who/what /when
Establish a disaster recovery programme Who does what and when, including
checking the standby equipment
Backup plans, i.e. how often
NOT RISKS ANALYSIS
Set up auditing procedures (Audit trails) to
detect misuse
Who/what /when
Contiguous investigation of regularities
Query any transaction out of the ordinary
Logon on procedures / User id’s and
passwords / set up user accounts
(expansion would be to do with rules for
passwords)
Allocating access rights, etc
Change regularly
Don’t write it down
Use upper and lower case mix, etc
Call back procedures for remote access Who/what/when or why
Establish procedures for training staff Who/what/when or why

Or

Any four methods, discussed in appropriate detail:
Use virus scanners and virus removal software so that when sabotage takes place and somebody deliberately introduces a virus, it can be found and removed.
Controlling access to computer rooms by having locks on the door and only the staff member has the key and locks the door when he leaves. This will prevent people accessing the computer room and misusing data.
Methods to define security status and access rights for users so that only certain users can access*and change data. For example a clerk would see all the information on a customer account*but be unable to alter the hire rate details whilst a manager could.
Password systems so that the user needs a username and password in order to log into the system otherwise they cannot access the system, this means people without the password will not be able to access any files.

Thanks

I wrote the first set of answers - operational procedures. I had to read the question over and over because I thought it was a new question as they worded it differently and I was actually going to leave it but I was so relieved when I clicked on it was operational procedures
Regarding question 14 about accidental misuse and how it could have been prevented what did people put ?

I put establishing a disaster recovery programme and having logon on procedures and explained them but I think this is wrong
Hi,
The thing is about the question is that it's asking for 4 methods and I believe that the second set of answers is right not operational procedures. In previous years, they would mention operational procedures in the actual question making it much easier to answer whereas for this question they didn't make it clear at all.
I just memorise the mark scheme and write it like that so for example with the risk analysis question I wrote it like :

One factor which should be considered to minimise the risk of data is identifying the potential risks which include virus's, hacking, natural damage .....

And for advantages and disadvantages I write them like :

One advantage of mobile access is that you can surf emails, and use the Internet wherever you are on the move and you can also modify your plans which include flights , hotels and trains .....

If you get my drift ? I literally don't expand my points at all

Yeah I get you! I'm sure you'll be fine, have you got any more exams left?
Yeah I get you! I'm sure you'll be fine, have you got any more exams left?

I don't had any left now that was my last one ! What about you ?
I don't had any left now that was my last one ! What about you ?

Ah nice one! Yeah i'm the same! Freedom!
Ah nice one! Yeah i'm the same! Freedom!

You're not alone
A shot in the dark, but does anybody have a copy of the paper? (2016 IT3)

I'm starting A2 and am making a question bank. This is the only paper I don't have, photos or the PDF would do, if anybody's got it that is. :smile:

Thanks, hope you all got good results in the A Level.
Original post by PedanticStudent
A shot in the dark, but does anybody have a copy of the paper? (2016 IT3)

I'm starting A2 and am making a question bank. This is the only paper I don't have, photos or the PDF would do, if anybody's got it that is. :smile:

Thanks, hope you all got good results in the A Level.

HI I dont have the paper but Ive seen from other threads that you have a lot of knowledge about this course. I wanted to ask if I got a D at AS would it be possible for me to get a B overall.
Original post by Mande1724
HI I dont have the paper but Ive seen from other threads that you have a lot of knowledge about this course. I wanted to ask if I got a D at AS would it be possible for me to get a B overall.

Please provide me with your total UMS mark (the number which appears beside ICT on your results slip)
Please provide me with your total UMS mark (the number which appears beside ICT on your results slip)

Is that the mark equivalent or the points?
Original post by Mande1724
Is that the mark equivalent or the points?

Marks please.
Marks please.

It says 110.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending