The Student Room Group

A-Level English Language Coursework

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with starting my coursework. To be honest, we have been given very little guidance which I suppose is the point but I'm a little stuck as to what I can even use for my project. I've been told I need to pick a exert of speech from a TV show or some form of media so I was wondering if I would be able to pick a conversation from a video game between a man and a woman. I was hoping to look at gender differences and I'm wondering if this would be an okay idea for my investigation?

Also, I've been told I have to do the introduction and methodology but I'm not exactly sure what that means so any help regarding that would be good too.

Thanks for any help in advance :smile:
Hey! Could you tell me please which exam board are you studying?
Original post by AnnaRainbows
Hey! Could you tell me please which exam board are you studying?

Hey! Sorry I completely forgot to mention that, it's AQA :smile:
Original post by VictoriaNabbs
Hey! Sorry I completely forgot to mention that, it's AQA :smile:

Same as me! Well, I've got a different task, it's analysis of two different books (basically a compare & contrast of 4000 words).

As I'm sure, you're probably gonna have to reference everything, so you should pick something that's easy to quote, is it just specifically media or can it also be a literary piece? Like a novel or something?
Same as me! Well, I've got a different task, it's analysis of two different books (basically a compare & contrast of 4000 words).

As I'm sure, you're probably gonna have to reference everything, so you should pick something that's easy to quote, is it just specifically media or can it also be a literary piece? Like a novel or something?

I had a similar thing in Literature but I had to do two separate essays, one with prose and one with two poems from the same author.

For Language, I believe I can either use an extract from a TV show or audio of some sort of conversation between a man and a woman or record a conversation myself but we were advised to pick the first option since the latter would be more work. We then have to transcribe it and pick out the language but that's the analysis which we don't have to do yet. I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do first. I did EPQ and I believe it must be something similar to that but I just wanted to make sure :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by VictoriaNabbs
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with starting my coursework. To be honest, we have been given very little guidance which I suppose is the point but I'm a little stuck as to what I can even use for my project. I've been told I need to pick a exert of speech from a TV show or some form of media so I was wondering if I would be able to pick a conversation from a video game between a man and a woman. I was hoping to look at gender differences and I'm wondering if this would be an okay idea for my investigation?

Also, I've been told I have to do the introduction and methodology but I'm not exactly sure what that means so any help regarding that would be good too.

Thanks for any help in advance :smile:

Same for me - my deadline for the intro is in less than a week and I haven't even fully settled on a topic. I think your topic is okay, plenty of theorists for gender. What angle are you going for? Men swear more, how gender is used for some kind of influence in video games? Out of curiosity, what video game are you using? If you don't mind, if you have any suggestions or comments on my current idea of choice (comparing modern day and original fairy tales) that would be so appreciated - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4278382

EDIT: The introduction is basically just giving a bit of context and explaining what your investigation will be investigating, I think. My school includes the aims and hypothesis as part of it, but some don't. I hope the attachments help, if you use them, it's an example investigation and examiner commentary. Okay, it's not uploading for some reason but I'll work on that.
(edited 7 years ago)
I see; perhaps you could try looking at some TED talks on youtube? That could be one option, since it's a dialog, it can be anything! A movie, an interview with someone, a talk show, it depends what theme you're aiming for.

Since you mentioned gender, you may as well take two examples, such as, a man speaking about global warming (sample topic) and a woman speaking about the same topic and compare their lexis :smile:
You can even go as deep as describing their tone, sentence structure, grammar, phonetics, things like that :smile:

For introduction, I guess you could state the goals (hypothesis) of what you're gonna be analysing (this is just a suggestion, I'd have to confirm the introduction with my tutor when I can), for example, you can state that men and women speak in different manners, provide some explanation why that could be so and move on to the next bit. Introduction is there to describe what the whole piece is going to be about!

Since I'm doing Lang & Lit, it's a slightly different project, but hopefully you can get some ideas from my little rant :smile: good luck!
Original post by Mia549
Same for me - my deadline for the intro is in less than a week and I haven't even fully settled on a topic. I think your topic is okay, plenty of theorists for gender. What angle are you going for? Men swear more, how gender is used for some kind of influence in video games? Out of curiosity, what video game are you using? If you don't mind, if you have any suggestions or comments on my current idea of choice (comparing modern day and original fairy tales) that would be so appreciated - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4278382

I was thinking of using Robin Lakoff since there's a long list of features I could talk about and talk about how it is presented in media, in my case video games. I haven't got a solid game really but I was thinking about Until Dawn since early on there are some decent interactions between male and female characters. If you have any games to suggest I'd happily hear them :biggrin:

I don't believe I've studied anything that would be relevant to you so I'm sorry that I'm no help. :frown: The idea you have is a cool idea though!
I see; perhaps you could try looking at some TED talks on youtube? That could be one option, since it's a dialog, it can be anything! A movie, an interview with someone, a talk show, it depends what theme you're aiming for.

Since you mentioned gender, you may as well take two examples, such as, a man speaking about global warming (sample topic) and a woman speaking about the same topic and compare their lexis :smile:
You can even go as deep as describing their tone, sentence structure, grammar, phonetics, things like that :smile:

For introduction, I guess you could state the goals (hypothesis) of what you're gonna be analysing (this is just a suggestion, I'd have to confirm the introduction with my tutor when I can), for example, you can state that men and women speak in different manners, provide some explanation why that could be so and move on to the next bit. Introduction is there to describe what the whole piece is going to be about!

Since I'm doing Lang & Lit, it's a slightly different project, but hopefully you can get some ideas from my little rant :smile: good luck!

Thank you so much! I never thought of taking a topic and seeing how two different people present it and link it to gender :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending