The Student Room Group

Do you find time to read books?

If so, what do you read?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I never read for pleasure anymore, which I admit is a bit of a shame. I spend my life reading stuff (Trainee Solicitor) and by the time I get home, the last thing I feel like doing is picking up a book!*
Original post by Dewsy
I never read for pleasure anymore, which I admit is a bit of a shame. I spend my life reading stuff (Trainee Solicitor) and by the time I get home, the last thing I feel like doing is picking up a book!*

Lol :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No.

I guess this explains my English grade 2 years ago.

I really do want to go back in the habit of reading and will do so.
Not as much as I was 2+ years ago but I definitely still read.

I'm currently reading Bleak House, and last week I read Persepolis:smile:

Planning to read Crime and Custom in Savage Society and one other book before I go back to Sixth Form!:biggrin:
Reply 5
I've been reading the same book for a year now. Just don't have the time and can't be bothered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
not really mainly watch videos but when I do read I do enjoy it it's just getting round to picking up a book that's the problem
Original post by davidguettafan
If so, what do you read? *

Yes, I have the time to read books. This time is so important for my own as passionate reader. *

Most of the time, especially on working days, I am reading magazines and books about sciences. In my free time, especially on holidays, I am reading novels, most of them are classics. And a lot of another books (about cultures, historical eras, religions and philosophy)

*What about you?*
Reply 8
Yes, I read a lot of history books. I'm not really fond of novels.
If so, what do you read?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The books I am reading/procrastinating to read are:

How to win friends and influence people
The art of war
Mastery
Hunger games 2nd book (will probably get this as an audio book)

procrastinating the last 3 :/, going to start one of them this evening
If so, what do you read?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, reading right now sitting in the garden. Sunny day

Reading Kiss The Girls - James Patterson. Love the film too, Morgan Freeman as Dt Cross

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always find time to read.

Finished the Gears Of War books a while back (if anyone's a fan of the series I'd definitely recommend the books, they offer so much more depth to the characters and what happened within the universe both past and present [they flit between the two within the books. So in Aspho Fields you'll have the events immediately after the first game and what went down during Aspho Fields, Anvil Gate is set between GOW 2 and 3 and details the siege of Anvil Gate during the Pendulum Wars).

Then I read High-Rise, a dystopian novel by JG Ballard with a strong social commentary running through it.

Most recently I've just finished The Zombie Survival Guide (light reading for shits and giggles), and I've just started The Girl With All The Gifts, which is a zombie story told from a really interesting perspective (I've been playing a lot of Dying Light recently, hence all the zombie stuff).
Sadly not. A-levels and university have ruined reading for pleasure for me. When I have free time I'd much rather be outside doing sports or something, not be sedentary reading :frown: I'm going to try getting back into it this year but I say that every year and it's yet to completely happen.
Original post by Josb
Yes, I read a lot of history books. I'm not really fond of novels.

What about novels which refer to true historical events in the past? Have read some, they are not bad.*
Original post by Punkrockfan
Not as much as I was 2+ years ago but I definitely still read. I'm currently reading Bleak House, and last week I read Persepolis:smile:
Planning to read Crime and Custom in Savage Society and one other book before I go back to Sixth Form!:biggrin:

What about more serious books? For example, I am reading now "Atlas Shrugged", novel by Ayn Rand.
(edited 7 years ago)
Not during school days. Over the summer though, I read a book everyday. Atm I'm reading the Hunchback of Notre Dam.
Original post by HeatherL.Henson
What about more serious books? For example, I am reading now "Atlas Shrugged", novel by Ayn Rand.

Well, I googled it and it seemed quite interesting so I'll add it to my (long) list of books to read.

But to answer your question, I read a brave new world which is somewhat similar to the book you mentioned. On the whole, I read whatever takes my fancy, regardless of how old it is, what language it was initially written in, etc. I'm very open-minded, although, fantasy/scifi is not as fun as it was 3 years ago.
I was an avid reader while I was at school and got through a lot of teenage fiction. I stopped reading for a few years while I focused on studying and became a bigger film buff. Got back into reading this year so now I'm more into adult fiction - violence, thrillers, gangster stories etc. I enjoy the works of Matthew Reilly, Dan Brown and James Patterson but I'm also getting into Irvine Welsh, Chuck Palahniuk, Mario Puzo and James Rollins.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending