The Student Room Group

BM6 Southampton Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Good luck!
Hello!! Well I achieved a dissappointing ABC at A level, can I apply to BM6 even if I intend on resitting these and hope to achieve AAA?
Reply 22
Original post by Justtryingtolive
Hello!! Well I achieved a dissappointing ABC at A level, can I apply to BM6 even if I intend on resitting these and hope to achieve AAA?

As you've achieved grades above the BM6 entry requirements (assuming your subjects include both Biology and Chemistry) you could apply with your current grades.

As a general rule, Medical Schools across the country do not consider re-sits outside of the usual two-year period taken to get your AS and A levels. So, if you are planning to re-sit to improve your chances of getting into medicine next year, re-sits going into a third won't be considered by med schools. You would be better off making sure you get a place on a foundation course.

Also, you would be applying with your ABC and there would be no reason for Southampton to know whether or not you plan on doing re-sits.
Original post by YesMED
As you've achieved grades above the BM6 entry requirements (assuming your subjects include both Biology and Chemistry) you could apply with your current grades.

As a general rule, Medical Schools across the country do not consider re-sits outside of the usual two-year period taken to get your AS and A levels. So, if you are planning to re-sit to improve your chances of getting into medicine next year, re-sits going into a third won't be considered by med schools. You would be better off making sure you get a place on a foundation course.

Also, you would be applying with your ABC and there would be no reason for Southampton to know whether or not you plan on doing re-sits.

Hi

Thanks so much!!!!! Such a helpful post!!

Can I follow up though, I mean so do you suggest I resit AND not tell Southampton about it and they'll be fine with it?

Yes you can apply np :biggrin:
Reply 25
Hey,
My stats:
GCSEs: 1D* 5A 4B 3Cs
Predicted: AAAC
UKCAT,
VR 500
QR 680
AR 650
Average : 610 😐
Do Southampton look at ukcat very closely?
Do I have any chance of getting in?
Original post by Abubakr 7232
Hey,
My stats:
UKCAT,
VR 500
QR 680
AR 650

What about DA and SJT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
What about DA and SJT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no DA this year and band 4 loool
Hey,
My stats:
UKCAT,
VR 500
QR 680
AR 650

The BM6 widening access program doesn't look at the UKCAT unless it has to decide between 2 similar candidates after interviews.
Your gcses and a levels meet the minimum requirements for interview.

The BM6 process is literally
1) do you meet the bare minimum gcse and a levels? -> no? Reject. Yes? Q2.
2) Is your PS good enough for interview? no? Reject. Yes? Q3.
3) Did you do well at interview -> no? reject. Yes -> Offer.

If you meant to apply to the 5 year course, you meet the minimum requirements but your UKCAT looks a little low as they use it to hand out offers for the 5 year course. But for BM6 you are fine.

What about DA and SJT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neither are relevant to BM6. :nah:
Reply 29
Original post by Neostigmine
The BM6 widening access program doesn't look at the UKCAT unless it has to decide between 2 similar candidates after interviews.

If you meant to apply to the 5 year course, you meet the minimum requirements but your UKCAT looks a little low as they use it to hand out offers for the 5 year course. But for BM6 you are fine.

Tsym I feel great!
Reply 30
I achieved BBC in my A-Levels, B in biology and chemistry with a C in maths. Called up southampton and told them i will be retaking, they said its fine since i met the requirements first time, so this should apply to anyone in the same situation.

Thanks to Neostigmine, really helped allot in last years thread and the same this year, unfortunately got rejected last year.
Original post by Yahya1997
I achieved BBC in my A-Levels, B in biology and chemistry with a C in maths. Called up southampton and told them i will be retaking, they said its fine since i met the requirements first time, so this should apply to anyone in the same situation.

Thanks to Neostigmine, really helped allot in last years thread and the same this year, unfortunately got rejected last year.

Hey
So are you applying this year again or going for biomed then GEM?

BTW where else will you apply? Do you have extenuating cirmumstances?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
I do have circumstances but I won't be telling the university about them. I will be applying for the BM6 again and also applying to kings college EMDP.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33

Do you know how southampton score the ps?
Original post by Yahya1997

Hey, I remember you from last year!! Best of luck and if you need any help I'll be more than happy to do that 🙂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know how southampton score the ps?

They mark it on the non academic entry requirements that are on the website and in the prospectus :yes:
Reply 36
They mark it on the non academic entry requirements that are on the website and in the prospectus :yes:

I've heard it's out of 15 is that correct?
I've heard it's out of 15 is that correct?

It was, but they've increased the number of non-academic entry requirements so this might have changed. It's not something to worry about though, as you'll never find out your score :no:.
Hey guys, what are the typical offers to candidates on this programme?

I meet the contextual requirements and am hoping to apply.
I have 2A*s 6As 2Bs and 1C. ( A C in English language is the minimum which is what I have and this worries me, will they descriminate against me for this reason?)
My Reforemed AS are BBCd (dropped the d subject) in maths, chemistry, biology and physics respectively. I'm predicted ABB in chem maths and biology respectively.
My UKCAT was 1750 and band 2 SJ.

My personal statement I think is pretty strong. Where would I fit into the candidates that they give typical offers to this program. I can't really find much info on the demographics of this program as opposed to the five year ones.
Original post by Onthedancefloor
Hey guys, what are the typical offers to candidates on this programme?

I meet the contextual requirements and am hoping to apply.
I have 2A*s 6As 2Bs and 1C. ( A C in English language is the minimum which is what I have and this worries me, will they descriminate against me for this reason?)
My Reforemed AS are BBCd (dropped the d subject) in maths, chemistry, biology and physics respectively. I'm predicted ABB in chem maths and biology respectively.
My UKCAT was 1750 and band 2 SJ.

My personal statement I think is pretty strong. Where would I fit into the candidates that they give typical offers to this program. I can't really find much info on the demographics of this program as opposed to the five year ones.

I've moved this to the 2017 thread instead of 2016.

Your qualifications are fine. They don't use the UKCAT. It's all personal statement for interview so just make sure that's good.

Offer is BBC for everyone!

Shout if you have any questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending