The Student Room Group

Physicist Pay?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
If it really was, you wouldn't have made this thread and you wouldn't be eyeballing what surgeons make in the US.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would like to disagree...

Regardless,I am extremely passionate about science beyond words...

Just because i am also considering salary has no effect on my passion for the subject...

I am purely investigating into pay due to external influences like parents and the fact that my family(especially mum) have a slight obsession with pay...

I personally do not see anything wrong by researching all areas of a career!

By no means am i taking it as a substitute for my passion of the subject!
LOOOOOOOL, nice try

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have already commented on this...

It is in comparison to my dads/surgeons salary...

A certain amount of money will be considered to be different amounts to different people in terms of how much it is whether its lots or not very much.
Original post by VNN
My parents are pressuring me to become a surgeon but I'm not extremely keen. I mean, I rather become a surgeon more than a lawyer or business man but I still rather be a scientist, to be more particular a Theoretical Physicist. I am very interested in almost all aspects of physics and its implications.

However:

Well there is actually an advantage in being a surgeon. They make more money than physicists.....or at least I am told that by my parents.My dad is a surgeon and he always states who i spend lots of money but he thinks the job of a surgeon is not great and he is one himself but my mum who is a mathematician thinks it s basically the holy grail . As a cardiothracicc surgeon for example I can make $540,000 an year or as a lower doctor I can make at least $200,000 an year.

How much money do Physicists make yearly? To be more specific, how much do Theoretical Physicists make yearly? I heard it 80,000 pounds, but my parents told me that so they could be lying to get me in a medical profession. 80,000 pounds a year is kind of low, so I would want that.

After you graduate with a BSc(Hons) degree in Physics you could become a teacher and within 6 years you could be paid 35k a year(Scotland) in london it is is like 38k and some other places in england and wales it's like 33k.

You could enter the NHS scientist training program and train to be a professional medical physicist for 3 years and work with things like radiotherapy(You will also qualify and achieve a MSc degree in one of these courses), during these 3 years of training you will be paid around 25k a year depending where you live. After th 3 years are up you are now a professional medical physicist and your pay wilol increase to 34k-44k depending on where you live. Withing years and having lots of experience you could qualify in more courses and receive a pay of band 9 which is like 90k.(no bad ehh)

PHd Researchers at university earn between 25-36k but could increase significantly if they opt to become a lecturer at university.

There is tons of other careers with physics and pay varies with each job.

Hope this helped.
Original post by RossB1702
After you graduate with a BSc(Hons) degree in Physics you could become a teacher and within 6 years you could be paid 35k a year(Scotland) in london it is is like 38k and some other places in england and wales it's like 33k.

You could enter the NHS scientist training program and train to be a professional medical physicist for 3 years and work with things like radiotherapy(You will also qualify and achieve a MSc degree in one of these courses), during these 3 years of training you will be paid around 25k a year depending where you live. After th 3 years are up you are now a professional medical physicist and your pay wilol increase to 34k-44k depending on where you live. Withing years and having lots of experience you could qualify in more courses and receive a pay of band 9 which is like 90k.(no bad ehh)

PHd Researchers at university earn between 25-36k but could increase significantly if they opt to become a lecturer at university.

There is tons of other careers with physics and pay varies with each job.

Hope this helped.

THANKS SO MUCH!

I am adamant on taking a PhD and would like to work at CERN or NASA...What are the pay for say theoretical physicist at these respective institutes...
Original post by VNN
I would like to disagree...

Regardless,I am extremely passionate about science beyond words...

Just because i am also considering salary has no effect on my passion for the subject...

I am purely investigating into pay due to external influences like parents and the fact that my family(especially mum) have a slight obsession with pay...

I personally do not see anything wrong by researching all areas of a career!

By no means am i taking it as a substitute for my passion of the subject!

There's nothing wrong with what you're doing.. Just that the way you're doing it, makes me think you're more interested in money than what the market rate for a physics researcher is here.

£80k/year is not 'low' by any stretch of the word low, and it's certainly not sensible to compare it to what a specifc type of surgeon in the US (who has gone through 16+ years of education and training in a system of private healthcare) makes.*

And who cares what your parents think, do what you want it's your life.**If you want money, go into finance not physics research.
There's nothing wrong with what you're doing.. Just that the way you're doing it, makes me think you're more interested in money than what the market rate for a physics researcher is here.

£80k/year is not 'low' by any stretch of the word low, and it's certainly not sensible to compare it to what a specifc type of surgeon in the US (who has gone through 16+ years of education and training in a system of private healthcare) makes.*

And who cares what your parents think, do what you want it's your life.**If you want money, go into finance not physics research.

I clearly see you have the wrong image of me...

I apologies if the way i am asking make me seem obsessed to money...

I can put it straight to you right now that money is not my main or even a major motivator and as i said I'm very passionate about science...

Also,The reason i compare it to surgeons are due to my life influences and my parents...

Finally,I cannot ignore my parents as basically 99% of what they have taught me has been beneficial and it is completely acceptable that one aged 15 is confused in such a major decision like a career choice...

regardless...Thanks for your insight.
After you graduate with a BSc(Hons) degree in Physics you could become a teacher and within 6 years you could be paid 35k a year(Scotland) in london it is is like 38k and some other places in england and wales it's like 33k. *

Source?*
Original post by VNN
THANKS SO MUCH!

I am adamant on taking a PhD and would like to work at CERN or NASA...What are the pay for say theoretical physicist at these respective institutes...

A research sceintish for NASA earns between 50-120k a year and when i googled it it said on a website that an employee who works for CERN that has a university degree can earn up to 13k a MONTH.
A research sceintish for NASA earns between 50-120k a year and when i googled it it said on a website that an employee who works for CERN that has a university degree can earn up to 13k a MONTH.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL OUR HELP?

Any further or additional advice you can provide just in relation to physics and becoming a physicist?

Thanks!
Original post by VNN
I clearly see you have the wrong image of me...

I apologies if the way i am asking make me seem obsessed to money...

I can put it straight to you right now that money is not my main or even a major motivator and as i said I'm very passionate about science...

Also,The reason i compare it to surgeons are due to my life influences and my parents...

Finally,I cannot ignore my parents as basically 99% of what they have taught me has been beneficial and it is completely acceptable that one aged 15 is confused in such a major decision like a career choice...

regardless...Thanks for your insight.

Fair enough.

Here's CERN data (monthly and in CHF - swiss francs)
https://jobs.web.cern.ch/content/career-paths.

NASA works on a fixed governmental salary scale, usually starting in the $50-60k range for a new researcher and potentially reaching low $100ks if you're promoted. You usually have to be a citizen of the United States however.*

Most physicists have to do a bachelors and PhD before they can be gainfully employed in the area of physics research. And most researchers work for universities and have teaching responsibilites too. But some companies have R&D divisions that hire physics researchers.*
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by VNN
Also,which country is best for physicist overall in terms of pay/Facilities and ETC...

Absolutely no idea. The pay is definitely higher in the US but I'm not sure about facilities or anything...

But again, that's not the point!!! The point is going somewhere you love/like and doing something you love!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending