The Student Room Group

Oxford 2017 Reapplicants

I noticed that there seem to be quite a few of us, so I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread especially for us reapplicants (= people who are applying again after being rejected) :smile:
If you want to it might be nice to introduce yourselves by answering the following:
1. Course you are applying for
2. College applied to last year
3. College this year (is there anybody going for the same college again?)
4. What do you plan to do this year?
I hope we will all be more successful this time! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hey, nice to see someone trying again as well!
1. Materials Science
2. Keble (Chemistry- I am reappling because I have had some industrial experience over the course of this year and decided I wish to pursue some more engineering-focused route, with an "applied" over theoretical )
3. No plans yet. I have 6 to choose from and I think I will do some more careful research this time, rather than going with the flow like I did last year.
4. I will start first year at the university (Imperial, Chemistry). I do not want to do a gap year, because of my family situation- I kno I cannot afford not studying and I wish to have this safety option in case I am not successful again this year.

I wish everyone good luck and hope we will all prove that we are worth being given a chance this year.

Original post by scblx
I noticed that there seem to be quite a few of us, so I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread especially for us reapplicants (= people who are applying again after being rejected) :smile:
If you want to it might be nice to introduce yourselves by answering the following:
(edited 7 years ago)
1. English and Mod Langs
2. Balliol
3. Probably Brasenose, although I could change my mind
4. Work and learn stuff

Best of luck to y'all!

Oh, and btw, last year I applied to E&M.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by scblx

ah this thread is a nice idea :biggrin:

1. Mathematics and Computer Science
2. Open application, was placed in lincoln college
3. Havent looked yet, going to put more time into actually picking a nice one
4. Additional Further Maths, develop my Java knowledge with books etc and finally get around to learning to play piano (keyboard)

wbu OP?
Reply 4
Original post by Diraculous
x

I see you said you can't afford to not study but have you worked out what your financial situation will be like for your final year at Oxford if you do get in? I'm not sure that you'd be guaranteed funding and you cannot get a good chemistry degree from Oxford if you leave after third year.
Reply 5
Original post by DylanJ42

wbu OP?

1. PPE
2. Merton College (didn't really think about it, was quite spontaneous - now I wish I would have thought about it more, but yeah. Had never been to Oxford before the interviews last year..)
3. Currently trying to decide between St. John's, Lincoln and Univ which I all visited and liked :-)
4. I am going to go to uni in my home country and start Politics & Econ here while reapplying - for several reasons I can't really do a gap year and I am also trying to be on the safe side.. Though I may also change to the UK if I get into another good uni, as I want to do PPE much more than P&E and I figured that I am young enough, finishing school at 17 :-)
Original post by scblx
1. PPE
2. Merton College (didn't really think about it, was quite spontaneous - now I wish I would have thought about it more, but yeah. Had never been to Oxford before the interviews last year..)
3. Currently trying to decide between St. John's, Lincoln and Univ which I all visited and liked :-)
4. I am going to go to uni in my home country and start Politics & Econ here while reapplying - for several reasons I can't really do a gap year and I am also trying to be on the safe side.. Though I may also change to the UK if I get into another good uni, as I want to do PPE much more than P&E and I figured that I am young enough, finishing school at 17 :-)

where are you from?
Original post by BJack
I see you said you can't afford to not study but have you worked out what your financial situation will be like for your final year at Oxford if you do get in? I'm not sure that you'd be guaranteed funding and you cannot get a good chemistry degree from Oxford if you leave after third year.

I'll manage that one. My situation solely depends on wether I study or not. I will have my fees paid by the member of my family, but as soon as I decide on gap year or alike, I'm paddling my own canoe.
Reply 8
I'll manage that one. My situation solely depends on wether I study or not. I will have my fees paid by the member of my family, but as soon as I decide on gap year or alike, I'm paddling my own canoe.

So I am not the only one with a family against a gap year (mine wouldn't cut funding but I am 17 so they decide technically..) - but I can live with that.
Reply 9
Original post by Rhaenys10
where are you from?

From Germany :-) Unfortunately, there's no PPE here, therefore I took what was closest to PPE.
Original post by scblx
From Germany :-) Unfortunately, there's no PPE here, therefore I took what was closest to PPE.

Yeah I know a thing or two about German unis, I got into Freiburg but decided not to go there after all
Original post by scblx
So I am not the only one with a family against a gap year (mine wouldn't cut funding but I am 17 so they decide technically..) - but I can live with that.

Yes, definitely against the idea. My parents are not very familiar ith the whole system, to the point where, when I got my Imperial place, they were like "Is that even a respectable university?":wink: So obviously, gap year does frighten them. But I think it is reasonable to start the first year and have that backup, so I'm not hugely fighting them.

which course+college are you choosing?
Reply 12
1. Chemistry
2. Univ
3. Think I'm gonna go open, leave it up to fate haha!
4. Go to uni (I've been told this is something that I'm allowed to do...?)

how are people finding tsa prep!?
Reply 13
Original post by Rhaenys10
Yeah I know a thing or two about German unis, I got into Freiburg but decided not to go there after all

Ah okay! :smile: What did you get in for?
I also applied to Freiburg (I crazily sent about 25 applications to 6 different unis :biggrin:) but I am not going there after all.
German unis aren't really that great, I think I prefer UK unis :smile: Well, I might be able to fully compare if I go to the UK after my first year :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Yes, definitely against the idea. My parents are not very familiar ith the whole system, to the point where, when I got my Imperial place, they were like "Is that even a respectable university?":wink: So obviously, gap year does frighten them. But I think it is reasonable to start the first year and have that backup, so I'm not hugely fighting them.

which course+college are you choosing?

Are you also international? I am, and my parents also didn't know any uni I was applying for except Oxford :biggrin:
I am applying for PPE and for the college I am deciding between St John's, Lincoln and Univ
Reply 15
Original post by notyous
1. Chemistry
2. Univ
3. Think I'm gonna go open, leave it up to fate haha!
4. Go to uni (I've been told this is something that I'm allowed to do...?)

how are people finding tsa prep!?

I was too scared to leave it open, terrified they would put me to Merton again :biggrin:

It is allowed! I called up like four colleges and they all said it is fine :-)

I haven't really prepared yet! I haven't even registered yet because they want me to give the college for that and I can't decide :biggrin: What about you?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by scblx
Are you also international? I am, and my parents also didn't know any uni I was applying for except Oxford :biggrin:
I am applying for PPE and for the college I am deciding between St John's, Lincoln and Univ

Yes, I am. :smile: Eastern Europe. My parents were the same, never heard of any of my universities.

I only have 6 colleges to choose from. My heart is with worcester, but I am not sure if that is not too ambitious for someone reapplying... They say college choice is not a factor, but I think it is an optimistic way to see it.
Yes, I am. :smile: Eastern Europe. My parents were the same, never heard of any of my universities.

I only have 6 colleges to choose from. My heart is with worcester, but I am not sure if that is not too ambitious for someone reapplying... They say college choice is not a factor, but I think it is an optimistic way to see it.

Cheers, mate! I'm from EE too - Romania, actually. what 'bout you?
Original post by scblx
Ah okay! :smile: What did you get in for?
I also applied to Freiburg (I crazily sent about 25 applications to 6 different unis :biggrin:) but I am not going there after all.
German unis aren't really that great, I think I prefer UK unis :smile: Well, I might be able to fully compare if I go to the UK after my first year :biggrin:

Freiburg was the only one I applied too.. I sent them the documents on the last day I could apply :smile:) and it was Law that I applied to btw
Reply 19

I have a bit of the same issue. They say it doesn't matter but I am not sure if it's true and therefore don't really know if St John's or Univ is a too "high" choice for me..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending