The Student Room Group

Enthalpy change reaciton

Can anyone explain in a simple way? Thanks
1472590958477-486748412.jpg this is 1 mark
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
What is required for a reaction to start?
Original post by coconut64
Can anyone explain in a simple way? Thanks
1472590958477-486748412.jpg this is 1 mark

The activation energy threshold isn't reached with the burning splint alone.
Reply 3
Original post by alow
What is required for a reaction to start?

You need to overcome the Ea? I said that energy released by the splint is insufficient to start the reaction but I don't get why the fuse will though...
Reply 4
You need to overcome the Ea? I said that energy released by the splint is insufficient to start the reaction but I don't get why the fuse will though...

Magnesium burns really really hot. About 2200 degrees Celsius.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by alow
Magnesium burns really really hot.

right, so can I say that energy released by the splint only is insufficient to overcome the ea needed to start the reaction. However, energy released by the fuse is enough to overcome the ea to start the reaction ?? what is another way of saying mg releases a lot of energy?

Cheers
Reply 6
right, so can I say that energy released by the splint only is insufficient to overcome the ea needed to start the reaction. However, energy released by the fuse is enough to overcome the ea to start the reaction ?? what is another way of saying mg releases a lot of energy?

Cheers

Yeah you can say that.

"The enthalpy of combustion for Mg is much more exothermic than that of a splint." may do the trick.
Reply 7
Original post by alow
Yeah you can say that.

"The enthalpy of combustion for Mg is much more exothermic than that of a splint." may do the trick.

Can't you say enthalpy change of reaction of Mg since combustion is reacting with oxygen but that's not the case in this reaction.... Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Can't you say enthalpy change of Mg since combustion is reacting with oxygen but that's not the case in this reaction.... Thanks

The Mg is combusting.
Reply 9
Original post by alow
The Mg is combusting.

I get you now, thanks ! !
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
But I thought it has to be with oxygen though...

http://cldfacility.rutgers.edu/content/burning-magnesium

Quick Reply

Latest