The Student Room Group

Tips for new A-Level Maths students

Just wondering if any past/current A-Level Maths students have any tips for new students going into the subject. I'm personally doing Physics, Maths and Computer Science, and I'm most worried about the transition to A-Level Maths as I know it's pretty difficult.

Thanks a lot.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prudator
Just wondering if any past/current A-Level Maths students have any tips for new students going into the subject. I'm personally doing Physics, Maths and Computer Science, and I'm most worried about the transition to A-Level Maths as I know it's pretty difficult.

Thanks a lot.

It's easy.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
It's easy.

That's not a tip
Reply 3
It's easy.

Is it really? You're the first person to say so haha.
Actually do the exercises and the assessments they give you. You can coast for GCSE but you won't be able to for A level.
Is it really? You're the first person to say so haha.

It is if you revise!

Spoiler

Original post by k.m.b
That's not a tip

Happy now?

Thanks a lot.

It will hurt like **** if you do not work everyday on it/ Well almost
Reply 7
Original post by TercioOfParma
Actually do the exercises and the assessments they give you. You can coast for GCSE but you won't be able to for A level.

I'm just hoping I can keep up with it all, since i'm doing some pretty intense subjects according to the people I've spoke to.
It is if you revise!

Spoiler

Happy now?

Just because you find it easy doesn't mean everyone does... :s-smilie:
I'm just hoping I can keep up with it all, since i'm doing some pretty intense subjects according to the people I've spoke to.

It isn't too bad. It was less intense than Physics I found. Then again, I hated physics.
Original post by NeverLucky
Just because you find it easy doesn't mean everyone does... :s-smilie:

You're right, but this person will find it easy. I've foreseen it in my crystal ball. He/she will get an A*.

Spoiler

You're right, but this person will find it easy. I've foreseen it in my crystal ball. He/she will get an A*.

Spoiler

I'm sorry but I've just seen you say it in pretty much every thread that's similar to this. It does just sound incredibly arrogant cos not everyone finds Maths naturally easy or straightforward. Some people in my school genuinely struggled with Maths and need help in even the simplest things. Imagine what they'd think of me if they asked for help and I just looked at them and said "it's easy" and walked away.
Original post by NeverLucky
I'm sorry but I've just seen you say it in pretty much every thread that's similar to this. It does just sound incredibly arrogant cos not everyone finds Maths naturally easy or straightforward. Some people in my school genuinely struggled with Maths and need help in even the simplest things. Imagine what they'd think of me if they asked for help and I just looked at them and said "it's easy" and walked away.

The tips are quite obvious; just revise, work through past papers, and ask teachers for help for any topics misunderstood. Can't really think of any other efficient tip for a subject like maths that would be worth mentioning.
The tips are quite obvious; just revise, work through past papers, and ask teachers for help for any topics misunderstood. Can't really think of any other efficient tip for a subject like maths that would be worth mentioning.

Yeah but even saying that is better than saying something's just easy and implying no one should find it difficult.
Reply 14
Make sure that you practice using questions that are more difficult than the A level exams. Maybe try some STEP questions to just overall improve your mathematical thinking ability.
I haven't done any pure maths for 5 years and I'm starting AS this september coming so any good hints thrown my way would be much appreciated :smile:
All of the A-Level topics require you to be able to manipulate algebraic expressions quickly and accurately, including expressions and equations that may look a bit more complicated than those you typically see in a GCSE paper. Thus I suggest having a look back at algebra and also arithmetic, as in the exam for C1 (the first pure maths module you will study), you will not be allowed to use a calculator.
Original post by HapaxOromenon3
All of the A-Level topics require you to be able to manipulate algebraic expressions quickly and accurately, including expressions and equations that may look a bit more complicated than those you typically see in a GCSE paper. Thus I suggest having a look back at algebra and also arithmetic, as in the exam for C1 (the first pure maths module you will study), you will not be allowed to use a calculator.

Thanks, I'm nervous :colondollar:
I'm going to go to year 13 as well. But what I did in year 12 was..

Just do a bunch of questions. Do ones that you find difficult specifically rather than past papers as you will just waste time with the ones you are confident with.
Drop it after year 12. After year 12 it messes up ur mind

Quick Reply

Latest