The Student Room Group

Computing Coursework - what is a testing plan and a testing log?

The question is in the title.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
The testing table (I think it's the same as a testing log), is where you test every possible outcome of your program. For example, if your program was a game that had a menu with 3 options - play, high scores, quit - you would perform a test for each of these menu options.

Your testing table should look something like this:
e877946e1494b5b56fcc6830b75291c2.png
Reply 2
Original post by iHammmy
The testing table (I think it's the same as a testing log), is where you test every possible outcome of your program. For example, if your program was a game that had a menu with 3 options - play, high scores, quit - you would perform a test for each of these menu options.

Your testing table should look something like this:
e877946e1494b5b56fcc6830b75291c2.png

I'm a bit stupid but what would you write in the "test data" and "fix" column?

Oh, and do you know what a testing plan is?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by s4b3rt00th
I'm a bit stupid but what would you write in the "test data" and "fix" column?

Oh, and do you know what a testing plan is?

You put whatever you have to input to test whatever you're testing. For example, if you were using the example I provided before and wanted to choose menu option 3 (quit), the test data would just be '3', as that is what you input into your program to test if it works (hope that makes sense).

The fix column is only necessary if what you're testing doesn't work first time. It should just include a picture/description of how you fixed your program/what the fix looks like. If no fix is needed (if it worked first time), just leave the column blank or just fill it with "Not needed" etc.

I'm not sure what a testing plan is though, sorry
Reply 4
The question is in the title.

Your testing table should look like this:

#No -- Test -- Test Data -- Expected Outcome

#No - This is the test number.
Test - Describe what you will be testing.
Test Data - What kind of data are you testing? (normal, boundary, erroneous)?
Expected Outcome - What do you think the outcome of your test will be?

To access the higher marks, you should be able to clearly indentify what kind of data you're testing.
Reply 5
Original post by ArgonV

Test Data - What kind of data are you testing? (normal, boundary, erroneous)?

What is "normal", "boundary" and "erroneous" data?
Reply 6
What is "normal", "boundary" and "erroneous" data?

You have Google, simply google it.
Reply 7
Original post by ArgonV
You have Google, simply google it.

WHAT!! You mean to tell me people actually Google things when they don't know? I thought that was only a myth...
Reply 8
Original post by Async
WHAT!! You mean to tell me people actually Google things when they don't know? I thought that was only a myth...

Legend has it that people ACTUALLY use Google when they need to find out information about something... Crazy stuff man... Crazy stuff....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending