The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
All jobs are equally important in the modern society. But farmers should be at the top though !
You missed out teachers
Reply 62
True.

But, a small question. How do you define someone as a scientist ? Based on what qualifications ?

Can't anyone with a creative mind, strong scientific knowledge in their field and an interest in research call themselves a scientist ? :smile:
Almost every single profession and job has a very important role in society.
Just think of the this: if garbage collectors suddenly disappeared we'd have a shitload of trash in every corner and probably get really nasty diseases as well.
Now if you also take doctors out of the equation you'd probably die within a few years.
Everyone contributes something to society so stop being a stuck up prick.
What about artists who make the world beautiful and designers who build things to improve our quality of life and architects who build places for the scientists/engineers etc. to live and work?

What about authors who write novels and non-fiction and recipes and instructions for things and translators who make sure that people the world over can read them?

What about police officers who stop us all from killing each other and paramedics who patch us up under pressure and firefighters who stop us burning to death? We need more than just engineers. I'm so sick of this "STEM is superior BS", and this is coming from someone in STEM. We get it, you think STEM is important. But other stuff is too.
Engineering is for kids who were not good enough at maths or ohysics to do one properly so they just combined and started omaying wih legos.
Everyone knows Mathematicians are the best.
Original post by physicsmaths
Engineering is for kids who were not good enough at maths or ohysics to do one properly so they just combined and started omaying wih legos.
Everyone knows Mathematicians are the best.

pffffft
Reply 68
Engineers aren't even paid as much as the other three...
Original post by Carmenh
Murderers don't deserve a place on the list

If that's your attitude to the people keeping you safe, you can f*ck off to mosul. How dare you call soldiers murderers
I think lawyers should be at the top, nice chaps they are, fundamental in society
Original post by Carmenh
Murderers don't deserve a place on the list

What about those who torture, mutilate and kill animals in the name of science?
Original post by cbreef
If that's your attitude to the people keeping you safe, you can f*ck off to mosul. How dare you call soldiers murderers

I'm not going to sit here and argue about my principles, so I'll just leave you with a question. What makes a murderer? As far as I'm concerned, it's someone who takes lives. Soldiers do this too. They take innocent lives; they take guilty lives, but whatever way you want to spin it, the army is responsible for murder. No war has ever kept people safe, and I'm sure you're going to fling your archaic ideas of what 'keeping people safe' means at me (I bet you were just about to tell me how I'd be speaking German if it wasn't for the army), but the fact of the matter is, war has only ever killed people. I also don't have a flying ****ing clue what going to Mosul would do for me, because no matter where I go I won't be able to escape idiots like you who think killing people can come even near to safe. It shocks me how people can be so nonchalant about death. Even if you don't care about smiting thousands of lives, you should at least see what a drain on our resources war is, all for **** all.
Original post by Athematica
What about those who torture, mutilate and kill animals in the name of science?

I definitely don't think those people deserve to be on the list either...
Original post by Carmenh
I definitely don't think those people deserve to be on the list either...

So, though some scientists do good, some do bad. Why do we not give soldiers the same courtesy?
Original post by Carmenh
I'm not going to sit here and argue about my principles, so I'll just leave you with a question. What makes a murderer? As far as I'm concerned, it's someone who takes lives. Soldiers do this too. They take innocent lives; they take guilty lives, but whatever way you want to spin it, the army is responsible for murder. No war has ever kept people safe, and I'm sure you're going to fling your archaic ideas of what 'keeping people safe' means at me (I bet you were just about to tell me how I'd be speaking German if it wasn't for the army), but the fact of the matter is, war has only ever killed people. I also don't have a flying ****ing clue what going to Mosul would do for me, because no matter where I go I won't be able to escape idiots like you who think killing people can come even near to safe. It shocks me how people can be so nonchalant about death. Even if you don't care about smiting thousands of lives, you should at least see what a drain on our resources war is, all for **** all.

I hadn't realised you'd posted this answer which probably makes my last question less relevant.

Arguing this out fully here is probably not appropriate. Nonetheless, I do think it's important to point out that you argue here against archaic thinking probably are just as guilty of black-and-white thinking which is just as bad.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by venetiaan
Just think of the this: if garbage collectors suddenly disappeared we'd have a shitload of trash in every corner and probably get really nasty diseases as well.
Now if you also take doctors out of the equation you'd probably die within a few years.

Doesn't require an extensive skill set to collect garbage though. If they all disappeared, we'd just start hiring skips. If skip collectors disappeared, we'd drive our garbage down the landfill ourselves.
Engineers are the chumps of the workplace. They do all the hard, complicated work and if they miss anything they look incompetent and have to do it again. Expensive charge-out rates, poor people skills and crashing tunnel vision mean they are a bit of a millstone commercially.
Original post by NPWorld
You've mentioned that you never needed a doctor. But what about others who have had accidents, face critical illnesses etc ? Are doctors really 'unnecessary' ?

Serious accidents and deadly illnesses are actually pretty rare in people in people who still have a lot of natural life expectancy left. The vast majority of people are not kept alive by the intervention of doctors, they would have pretty much the same chance of living to 70 or 80 years old even without any medical care.

Medicine extends the life of dying people by a small amount and it can help manage some chronic conditions, although usually not very well.

The biggest gains to public health have been due to sanitation which is primarily what eliminated infection disease as a major cause of death. Sanitation is the creation of engineers and accountants.

Ironically hospitals have become points of anti-sanitation, breeding grounds for deadly treatment-resistant diseases coupled with places they can easily spread to a large pool of sick and healthy people. It is not clear to me that hospitals will be a net positive for public health in the near future.
Original post by venetiaan

Rubbish. Without trash collectors we would be burying or burning stuff in our gardens and without doctors we might die at 75 instead of 81.

Latest

Trending

Trending