The Student Room Group

Applying for Biology with a Medicine Personal Statement?

Hey everyone,
I am an American applying to the UK for medicine. For my 5th UCAS choice I was thinking of Biological Sciences at Oxford. But my problem is that my personal statement is geared towards becoming a doctor. Specifically, I talk about a few extracurricular activities (debate and robotics) and how the skills I have learned will help me if I was a doctor. I also mention volunteer work at a hospital and shadowing two doctors at a private practice. I do have a few sentences about a part time job where I taught Biology.
I was wondering if it would be sensible to apply for the Biological Sciences course even though my statement isn't directly about it.

Thanks
Ajay
Original post by pool99
Hey everyone,
I am an American applying to the UK for medicine. For my 5th UCAS choice I was thinking of Biological Sciences at Oxford. But my problem is that my personal statement is geared towards becoming a doctor. Specifically, I talk about a few extracurricular activities (debate and robotics) and how the skills I have learned will help me if I was a doctor. I also mention volunteer work at a hospital and shadowing two doctors at a private practice. I do have a few sentences about a part time job where I taught Biology.
I was wondering if it would be sensible to apply for the Biological Sciences course even though my statement isn't directly about it.

Thanks
Ajay

British universities are well aware that aspiring medics have to choose a fifth course outside medicine so won't consider it unusual. Note that you can't apply to two courses at Oxford, nor to both Oxford and Cambridge.
Reply 2
Original post by pool99
Hey everyone,

Thanks
Ajay

Hi, last year I applied to 2 medicine courses, 2 biology courses and human sciences at Oxford with a purely medicine personal statement. I got offers for both biology courses and interviews for both medicine courses(and subsequently an offer) and an interview for Oxford - although I did submit a separate ps for Oxford. I didn't get an offer for Oxford and I believe this was because they could tell how passionate I was about medicine ( I was limited to only 2 med choices because of my Chem predicted grade and would definitely have turned Oxford down for my med offer!) however they were willing to give me an interview, so I guess you have nothing to lose!! Just don't compromise your ps - it has to be 100% medicine!! Best of luck 😀
(edited 7 years ago)
Why not apply for medicine at Oxford and have a back-up choice elsewhere?

As the poster above has said, you MAY have a chance, but it is probably small
Reply 4
Original post by xxxsbxxx
I think at other, slightly lower ranked unis you could be ok, but for Oxford it's so ridiculously competitive on all the courses that they'd want a totally Biology based statement. You have to be very dedicated to go to Oxford to do a subject, it's not a fifth choice kind of thing really (probably lower chance of getting in than medicine) but check if they'll let you send in a different PS! x

Thanks, I will check if I can send the PS separately.
Reply 5
Original post by *Interrobang*
Why not apply for medicine at Oxford and have a back-up choice elsewhere?

As the poster above has said, you MAY have a chance, but it is probably small

As I am applying for medicine as an international student, the chances of me getting in are incredibly low. The NHS puts quotas ranging from 15-30 internationals medicine program. I don't think I would have a chance with this low rate for medicine + the low chances of oxford. Plus I am already taking the UKCAT and can't be bothered with the test they use.
Reply 6
Original post by Ben4444
Hi, last year I applied to 2 medicine courses, 2 biology courses and human sciences at Oxford with a purely medicine personal statement. I got offers for both biology courses and interviews for both medicine courses(and subsequently an offer) and an interview for Oxford - although I did submit a separate ps for Oxford. I didn't get an offer for Oxford and I believe this was because they could tell how passionate I was about medicine ( I was limited to only 2 med choices because of my Chem predicted grade and would definitely have turned Oxford down for my med offer!) however they were willing to give me an interview, so I guess you have nothing to lose!! Just don't compromise your ps - it has to be 100% medicine!! Best of luck 😀

Hey thanks for the reply!
Can you explain how to send separate Personal Statements. I think I would prefer to do this if it was an option
Reply 7
Original post by pool99
Can you explain how to send separate Personal Statements. I think I would prefer to do this if it was an option

After I had received an interview invite, they sent an email asking if anyone wanted to submit a separate ps. I think this was because human sciences is a course that's not offered by many unis, so they realised that people would probably have non specific personal statements. As many others have said, unis know that medicine students have a non med 5th choice, so I'm sure that if you email admissions they'll be happy for you to submit a separate ps.
I personally think that you have nothing to lose. I know of at least one person who was accepted into a non med course at Oxford whilst applying for medicine! I simply didn't have the enthusiasm for the course and they knew that! Of the people that I met at interview, the ones that received offers were really, really passionate about the course. Just be super enthusiastic and who knows😀😀
Original post by pool99

You could contact the admissions department before applying and see if they will accept a separate PS (and they may tell you your chances of succeeding with a medicine PS)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending