The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Guys, do you think that an 8:00am start to the exam is too early as I'm not a morning person anyway? Thanks x
Original post by pvk19.
Guys, do you think that an 8:00am start to the exam is too early as I'm not a morning person anyway? Thanks x

I did my UKCAT at 8am. A week before the exam I started making myself sleep at 10 and wake up at 6. You'll be fine as long as you get yourself into the habit of waking up early. This can be hard in the summer holidays but it's essential. A morning exam, in my opinion, is better because you don't have time to stress yourself out and you'll be done by 10am which leaves you the whole day to do what you want.
I just did my UKCAT exam. I got:
VR-590
QR-770
AR-860
Band1
Average-740

Thank you to everyone on this thread for all your advice and support. I know I wouldn't have got this score without the thread. I checked this thread every morning in the run up to the exam so thank you.

Advice:
QR- this is ridiculously easy. I suggest going over percentage changes, mean and don't bother with all the other stuff like currency because the majority of the question are really basic. It's much easier than medify and 1000 qs book.
VR- definitely the section I struggle with most. However, I don't think it was much different from the mocks. The passages were longer but the questions seemed easier. In the mocks, the passages were short but questions were hard. Practise speed reading.
AR- I suggest spending a lot of time revising this section. I think it is the only section where practise will significantly improve your score. If you practise enough questions, the exam should be easy for you. It was way easier than the 1000qs book and about the same difficulty as medify.

Don't let the official UKCAT mocks put you off. They are a lot harder than the real thing. In my medify mocks I was getting scores from 600-650 so I definitely think that the scoring system is more generous in the real thing. So don't let low scores put you off either.
Good luck!
Reply 3483
Original post by doculmc7171
VR-590
QR-770
AR-860
Band1
Average-740

Thank you to everyone on this thread for all your advice and support. I know I wouldn't have got this score without the thread. I checked this thread every morning in the run up to the exam so thank you.

Advice:
QR- this is ridiculously easy. I suggest going over percentage changes, mean and don't bother with all the other stuff like currency because the majority of the question are really basic. It's much easier than medify and 1000 qs book.
VR- definitely the section I struggle with most. However, I don't think it was much different from the mocks. The passages were longer but the questions seemed easier. In the mocks, the passages were short but questions were hard. Practise speed reading.
AR- I suggest spending a lot of time revising this section. I think it is the only section where practise will significantly improve your score. If you practise enough questions, the exam should be easy for you. It was way easier than the 1000qs book and about the same difficulty as medify.

Don't let the official UKCAT mocks put you off. They are a lot harder than the real thing. In my medify mocks I was getting scores from 600-650 so I definitely think that the scoring system is more generous in the real thing. So don't let low scores put you off either.
Good luck!

Wow. Epic result! How did you find AR?
VR-590
QR-770
AR-860
Band1
Average-740

Advice:

Good luck!

Well done that is a great score. It's pretty much exactly the score I want and need! Ahah. I check this thread multiple times a day and have for a few weeks it's amazing
Your test seemed OK, was there any patterns you didn't think you got for AR?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RKM21
Wow. Epic result! How did you find AR?

Original post by xJessScott
Well done that is a great score. It's pretty much exactly the score I want and need! Ahah. I check this thread multiple times a day and have for a few weeks it's amazing
Your test seemed OK, was there any patterns you didn't think you got for AR?

Posted from TSR Mobile

AR seemed too good to be true for me in the exam. A lot of the questions were odd vs even types.
AR seemed too good to be true for me in the exam. A lot of the questions were odd vs even types.

Nice. They're great patterns ahah. Hopefully I have lots of them too on the 10th of September 😁😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3487
VR-590
QR-770
AR-860
Band1
Average-740

Advice:

Good luck!

Hi,
My exam is tomorrow and on my official UKCAT mock (C) I just got 600 on QR, almost entirely because I only managed to do about 60% of it in the time... did you easily finish in enough time in the real thing then?
Reply 3488

Thanks for replying! I hear that some people got loads of conditional ones :frown: . How was SJT in the real thing and did you normally get Band 1 in mocks? The majority of the time I am borderline 1/2 but really want to get Band 1. What do you suggest?
Original post by RKM21
Thanks for replying! I hear that some people got loads of conditional ones :frown: . How was SJT in the real thing and did you normally get Band 1 in mocks? The majority of the time I am borderline 1/2 but really want to get Band 1. What do you suggest?

For SJT i recommend practising as many as you can and writing down the reason you got them wrong, and making them into rules. For example if someone is causing a problem and you talk to their supervisor instead of confronting them, its usually C. If you confront them directly to try and solve the problem, it'd be A. Obviously the list of rules would get very big but hopefully some of them will start to stick, because you'll find the same ideas cropping up in different scenarios. I haven't done the UKCAT, but i started off as a band 2 in my practises and now I'm consistently band 1. Just message me if I'll be of any help
Original post by RKM21

I got band 2 in all my mocks.vI think the marking in the official exam is a lot more generous so don't worry x
Original post by Zedna
Hi,
My exam is tomorrow and on my official UKCAT mock (C) I just got 600 on QR, almost entirely because I only managed to do about 60% of it in the time... did you easily finish in enough time in the real thing then?

If it seemed hard or if there was too much information to process, I just guessed, flagged and moved on. I think I guessed at least 10 of the questions.
Like I said the official UKCAT mocks are a lot harder than the real thing. I was getting around 600 in my mocks too so don't worry.
Reply 3492
If it seemed hard or if there was too much information to process, I just guessed, flagged and moved on. I think I guessed at least 10 of the questions.
Like I said the official UKCAT mocks are a lot harder than the real thing. I was getting around 600 in my mocks too so don't worry.

Thankyou!! :smile:
Original post by Elishchambers
Thanks! I used medify and the 1000Q's book- but I would recommend medify more as I don't think the 1000Q's book is representative of the difficulty of the actual exam- the book is way too hard! Aside from medify I went over GCSEs bitesize and also went over GCSEs topics on mymaths. I also tried to do maths whenever I could, even if it was just little things like I'd add up prices of things mentally when shopping or work out how many hours/mins it would take to get somewhere if we were going at a set speed for a set distance etc.

Mainly I just tried to improve my mental maths speed which allowed me to spend more time to focus and understand the data in QR.

Best of luck with your UKCAT!

Thank you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Were they mostly singular patterns or more than 1 rule per set?
I have my UKCAT tomorrow but i've just done a practice mock on the official website and haven't been able to answer the majority of the question in quantitative reasoning :/
Original post by TheArtOfThePoetic
I have my UKCAT tomorrow but i've just done a practice mock on the official website and haven't been able to answer the majority of the question in quantitative reasoning :/

I did my UKCAT today and got 800 in QR and I didn't answer all of the questions. Also, I was the same in the mocks so I wouldn't worry if I were you.
I did my UKCAT and got an average of 640, SJT Band 1. There go my dreams of medical school this year :frown:
Original post by Harryedwards8
I did my UKCAT today and got 800 in QR and I didn't answer all of the questions. Also, I was the same in the mocks so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Ahh thats great well done!
Would you say most of QR was pretty simple? What kinds of calculations came up the most?
Original post by Elishchambers
Hi guys,

I sat my ukcat today and got an 717 average:

VR 640
QR 900
AR 610
SJT- Band 1
Total 2150

I just wanted to reassure everyone that's freaking out that the QR is easier in the actual exam and using the number pad on the keyboard really speeds you up so it's not so time pressured. AR is harder than medify definitely but I guessed most of them and still got a decent score so don't panic. I revised using medify for 2 weeks so you definitely don't have to go on any of these expensive courses to do well- just do practice questions as much as you can and you'll be fine.

Good luck everyone.

Great score!
How did you get 900 in QR. I find the questions easy but the calculations take me so long to do because so many have multiple steps. Did most of yours only have 1/2 steps or were they really long and how did you time it yourself? Did you have to guess any of them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending