The Student Room Group

Labour party councillor calls trangender tory councillor a " man "

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BaconandSauce
I do for a start as does she and the law

at the end of the day the bloke was being a dick towards a member of his council and he's going to get what he deserves.

it's not exactly a "hate crime" though - in fact, if it was, what does that imply? that he ought to get some kind of legal penalty for merely saying words?
She'd already transitioned. He knew that she's a woman, and decided to misgender her out of ignorance and it disrespect just because she's transgender. To hell with all these edgy comments about attack helicopters; that joke died years ago, stop using it as a way of avoiding the fact that you don't understand the importance of recognising someone's gender and pronouns.
Original post by !!mentor!!
All the power to him. If he identifies as being female and wants to dress as such, he should be allowed (unless there is a dress code) without discrimination. If someone were to discriminate against a transsexual person, I would be the first to speak up but referring to a man as 'he' is not discrimination.

It reminds me 'Rachael Dolezal' who blacked up, curled her hair and tried to claim she was black because she identified as being black, when she is in fact completely white (no black in her family at all). My point is just like Dolezal is white, this councillor is male (so he needs to accept that).

She's a woman, stop comparing trans people to black face. The **** lol
Original post by Trapz99
Sex refers to whether you have XX or XY chromosomes. You cannot change sex as a human.

Well not exactly, but yeah pretty much. Just google 'define sex' and then google 'define gender'.

Sex:
"either of the two main categories (male and female) into which humans and most other living things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions."

"the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones). "

Essentially, sex is a biological term and gender is how someone sees themselves/wants to be seen by others etc.

So it is certainly possible for someone to be transgender, but biologically speaking they cannot change their sex (well not yet at any rate).

As to the matter at hand, if the police find that it was done out of spite then I hope the guy gets prosecuted for it, if however it was a mistake (I suppose its possible, though I don't have the full story so cannot know) then I guess we should just accept the fact that he has apologised about the matter.

How someone would actually prove that it was done out of hate I don't know, but that is for the police to work out.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by itsbillie
She's a woman, stop comparing trans people to black face. The **** lol

LOL

Oh boy, are you going to have a shock when you grow up and get married. LOL.

And I wasn't comparing a woman to a black face. I was comparing a MAN to a black face. LOL

Spoiler

Original post by KingBradly
I would not be surprised if a similar thing happened here.

I would be very surprised if this was the case (hence the criminal complaint)
Original post by sleepysnooze
it's not exactly a "hate crime" though - in fact, if it was, what does that imply? that he ought to get some kind of legal penalty for merely saying words?

a bit like calling some one a ******

Yes its a hate crime
Original post by Trapz99
You can't change your sex.

Yes you can.
Reply 48
I was wondering if there was any offence about. Here it is. Poor effort.
a bit like calling some one a ******

Yes its a hate crime

1) a what?
2) you really think we ought to lock people up simply for expressions? isn't that authoritarian and illiberal?
Yes you can.

No you can't. That is a fact. Sex refers to your chromosomes and the reproductive organs you were born with. It is what you will forever be referred to as on your medical history. There is a distinction between sex and gender. The former is biological and not changeable, the latter is how you prefer to be identified.
1) a what?
2) you really think we ought to lock people up simply for expressions? isn't that authoritarian and illiberal?

n i g g e r (after all it's just a word apparently)

2) Straw man argument no one has said he should be locked up

He should however lose his position for being a bit of a ****.
Labour's grassroots are very working class. Much of the working class is socially conservative. This incident, whilst unpleasant, is not particularly surprising.
at the end of the day those who don't think this is an issue need to explain why the law is wrong in this case

The councilor is a dick and was acting like a dick out of spite and simple nastiness

I can't believe some are defending him
n i g g e r (after all it's just a word apparently)

some people would call you a racist for even saying that (not me, the social justice police)

2) Straw man argument no one has said he should be locked up

you said it was a hate "crime"?

He should however lose his position for being a bit of a ****.

in an election?
(edited 7 years ago)
some people would call you a racist for even saying that (not be the social justice police)

you said it was a hate "crime"?

in an election?

Yes that's right hence the comparison as it is after all just a word.

Yes this doesn't and shouldn't always result with 'someone being locked up'

no the council he represents should remove him from his position (just like I'd expect any employer to do if an employee acted in the same *****sh manner)
Yes that's right hence the comparison as it is after all just a word.

yes that's right

Yes this doesn't and shouldn't always result with 'someone being locked up'

how about never?

no the council he represents should remove him from his position (just like I'd expect any employer to do if an employee acted in the same *****sh manner)

I thought he was an elected counciller?
Reply 57
Original post by Trapz99
How the heck is this a 'hate incident'? It's fine to believe that people born with penises are men.

I'm a Conservative supporter myself so I don't have anything against the party but this is ridiculous. The Labour guy should have been allowed to call the person a man if he wanted.

Only certain language is allowed in this country
yes that's right

how about never?

I thought he was an elected counciller?

no not never there are always exceptions to the rule but it's not the 'default' as you suggested

Yes he is but he's also a party member
I've noticed humans love to find anything to complain or be pedantic about. In this society where we don't have the big issues of war and starving to death etc like some third world countries, what do we latch onto? Complaining about correct terminology for s*it that does *not* matter.

People who call this hate crime are taking the p**s and making a joke for people in the past and present who have received actual hate crime for their colour or sexuality.

Quick Reply