The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
Maybe can't complain but are you happy with the business? Seems like Wenger has gone and bought for positions that everyone was crying out for.

To be honest with you, it's not the signings or positions that Arsenal fans are a little annoyed at, it is the timing.

Would be have been beaten 3 - 4 by Liverpool if we had an experience CB? Would we have had enough to score an extra goal and beat the Champions if we had a recognised striker who scored 17 goals and got 8 assists last season?

If we had gotten these signings near the start of the transfer window, given the players time to gel before the Liverpool game I honestly think we would be in the same position as Man U Man City and Chelsea right now
Original post by fallen_acorns
I hope your second part is right - because when he signed, your right he had so much potential, and looked like a huge talent at southampton.

Loans seem to make/break players, so lets see over this year

I remember watching Chambers at Southampton live (my cousin went to uni there) and saw him when he played for the youth team, and I remember thinking the guy was a prospect

I was ecstatic when he came to Arsenal and even happier when he was converted to a CB. But as soon as it was revealed the manger wasn't sure about his position I knew he needed a season on loan to really cement a position.

I look to people like Coqulin, who wanted to be an attacking player, converted to a more defensive player on loan (which suited him) and has played well there. I think players like Chambers, Wilshire and maybe even the Ox need a loan spell in a smaller club to figure out where they want to play without the pressure of a big club
You mean the same Chambers who dispite being here for 2 years has already fallen bellow holding in the pecking order?

The loan move for Chambers was set up as soon as we were in advanced talks with Mustafi, to make sure he gets regular football to develop his talent and give the new CB some time to learn from the New starting CB and Kosc.

The chambers who has been loaned out to a bottom half sign because he has failed to establish himself a place in the team?

--

Again refer to my above statement, the news of Chambers being loaned out to make room for the new CB was very obvious as Kosc was going to return after the Liverpool game and was certain to start and the new signing couldn't have been benched because it would make signing him stupid.

I like chambers, and I was really excited when he signed, but these days I cant see a future for him at arsenal. I honestly cant remember a game where he played to a level that impressed..

Chambers was voted Man of the match 2 games in a row by Arsenal fans in his first season after solid performances against Crystal palace and Besiktas.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/calum-chambers-named-man-of-the-match-for-second-game-in-a-row-as-arsenal-defender-continues-to-make-9680265.html

People were calling for wengers head after the liverpool game.. We were angry at the in-experianced CB partnership, but the anger was not at them, but at the fact that we were in a position where they were our only choice..

The hostility was directed at Wenger, Holding and Chambers, all 3 of them, and at-least Chambers did manage to get a goal, even though both were poor in that game.

Since then holding has played two games with a decent partner, and looked pretty good in both. (two games which you would have expected chambers to start during the summer)

Although I agree that holding has looked great in his last 2 games, it's not proper to claim this has to do with natural talent or this already makes him better than Chambers because Chambers has also had good performances in the League, the FA cup and the Champions league.

Maybe you have seen something I have not? If so, feel free to point out games where chambers has shown his quality (since joining), and prove me wrong.. but personally I think he will hang around for a bit before being shipped off to a lower table side more fitting with his level.

I've already pointed it out, Chambers was class in his first season, putting in memorable performances against Beskitas and Crystal palace and Burnley, and many other matches.
as an arsenal fan - yeah, pretty happy.

I mean, we are the club who were ok with being the only side in english football not to buy an outfield player last summer. Fans have been used to years and years of the club not spending, so its hard not to be happy at an 85mil spend this summer, investing in all the areas that we wanted to spend.

Reckon any fan would have bit your hand off for a decent CB and CM alone this summer, let alone the rest.

9/10 summer for me as it stands (ofcourse who knows how the players will perform) - only thing that stops it being a 10, is that the striker is not (yet) really top class, so we have to wait and see how he will turn out.

Good to hear. I think Arsenal have a good squad so the additions look good. If you don't do well this season, I think a lot of players like Ozil, Sanchez, Walcott etc will start complaining..

Original post by Freddyt58
To be honest with you, it's not the signings or positions that Arsenal fans are a little annoyed at, it is the timing.

Would be have been beaten 3 - 4 by Liverpool if we had an experience CB? Would we have had enough to score an extra goal and beat the Champions if we had a recognised striker who scored 17 goals and got 8 assists last season?

If we had gotten these signings near the start of the transfer window, given the players time to gel before the Liverpool game I honestly think we would be in the same position as Man U Man City and Chelsea right now

It's not always easy to sign players early though. Some clubs will just refuse to deal.
It's not always easy to sign players early though. Some clubs will just refuse to deal.

You're right it isn't easy, but big clubs get it done.

Look at the business Man U and Man City have done. They did it early and people in. The only ones that took a while were ones like Man City and the GK situations because of Joe Hart, and Pogba for Man United.

I think that if our club is as rich as people say then we should see the benefits of the money and conduct ourselves like a big club and bully little ones into giving us their gems.

Look at the business Man U and Man City have done. They did it early and people in. The only ones that took a while were ones like Man City and the GK situations because of Joe Hart, and Pogba for Man United.

I think that if our club is as rich as people say then we should see the benefits of the money and conduct ourselves like a big club and bully little ones into giving us their gems.

But then you have to be willing to throw silly money at players whether to the selling club, the agents or wages to the player.

I wouldn't be surprised if often the players themselves delay a little as they also want to see what other clubs are willing to come in for them.
Reply 9926

Look how long it has taken for Chelsea to sign a CB. Also Real Madrid tried to buy DDG and see what happened there.

Lets also add how long it's taken for Barcelona to sign a striker. Who have tried to sign targets such as Kevin Gameiro and Vietto before getting an Alcacer deal done the day before deadline day.
But then you have to be willing to throw silly money at players whether to the selling club, the agents or wages to the player.

I wouldn't be surprised if often the players themselves delay a little as they also want to see what other clubs are willing to come in for them.

As I said, just throw the money! Honestly we have a club season ticket and it cost more then twice what other season tickets costs! We pay the highest prices for mediocrity and static behaviour in the market place.

Yeah I can see some players doing that but only if the initial offer from the first club isn't good enough.

In an age when Walcott is getting paid more than 100K a weeks surely we can justify shelling a lot of cash on Mustafi to get him done early
Lmao @AFCAMDEN has the whole of Arsenal twitter on strings. Anything he says people eat up. No change we're signing anyone today.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Seems like it's going to be Roma for Jack. BBC reporting Wilshere is thought to be keen, and the transfer consultant is Baldini who Wilshere knows well. Personally I also think that Szczesny being there (they're good mates) has influenced him.
I think the main issue is more like buying a house if there is a chain involved. United got all our deals through early other than Pogba becuase that was the only one with a chain, obviously the Higuain deal was complicating things. Clubs are going to hold players until they have their replacement lined up and fees aren't going to be finalised until the fees with that are sorted. A lot of the time the selling club are hoping to hold the player and don't line up a plan B until its clear they are going to have to sell. Not much you can do, but clearly the clubs getting the business done early are scoping out those deals way before the window opens. Could blame Wenger somewhat there but Xhaka is arguably the clubs headline signing and he wasn't exactly last minute.
Reply 9931
Roma doing some nice balancing act. A midfield of glass infront of gladiators.

As I said, just throw the money! Honestly we have a club season ticket and it cost more then twice what other season tickets costs! We pay the highest prices for mediocrity and static behaviour in the market place.

Yeah I can see some players doing that but only if the initial offer from the first club isn't good enough.

In an age when Walcott is getting paid more than 100K a weeks surely we can justify shelling a lot of cash on Mustafi to get him done early

Just throwing money is such a simplistic notion as it does not always work .Look at the herrera situation with bilbao and united. Look at the lacazette situation in this window as well. Plus, the euros probably ****ed everything up with club/ agents refusing to do deals early in hope that performance can shift the price northerly.
Tisserand from Monaco signs for Inglostadt. Baffling deal. We were linked with him in the papers before signing Mustafi.
Original post by Fizzel
I think the main issue is more like buying a house if there is a chain involved. United got all our deals through early other than Pogba becuase that was the only one with a chain, obviously the Higuain deal was complicating things. Clubs are going to hold players until they have their replacement lined up and fees aren't going to be finalised until the fees with that are sorted. A lot of the time the selling club are hoping to hold the player and don't line up a plan B until its clear they are going to have to sell. Not much you can do, but clearly the clubs getting the business done early are scoping out those deals way before the window opens. Could blame Wenger somewhat there but Xhaka is arguably the clubs headline signing and he wasn't exactly last minute.

The counter argument is that if you do a deal early enough then clubs have all summer with the cash to take their time with replacements? Dortmund managed to sign plenty of players at the start of the summer tbh.
Original post by 4:20
Just throwing money is such a simplistic notion as it does not always work .Look at the herrera situation with bilbao and united. Look at the lacazette situation in this window as well. Plus, the euros probably ****ed everything up with club/ agents refusing to do deals early in hope that performance can shift the price northerly.

It worked with Pogba, and Neymar and Higuain

There have been so many times in Arsenal history where we have tried to find a bargain and missed out on world class players. Don't get me wrong, we have one of the strongest teams in the BPL, but we needed them at the start of the window.

I think Mustafi will come good, and I am very excited about Perez, more so than most fans, but if these deals were done at the start of the window, even if we had to pay a little extra, then I would have been happy

Lacazette is a much more prolific striker than Perez, and in the current market would have been worth shipping 40-50 mil for him
The chambers who has been loaned out to a bottom half sign because he has failed to establish himself a place in the team?

Boro might finish in the top half. They look pretty decent, strong defence and an impressive manager.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just ****ing lol at the fans who were thinking Wilshere would start at Juventus and now he's going to Bournemouth

Sums up his whole career really.
@difeo@fkwhereyouat

Lol @ Khedira right.
Reply 9938
The counter argument is that if you do a deal early enough then clubs have all summer with the cash to take their time with replacements? Dortmund managed to sign plenty of players at the start of the summer tbh.

Na, because Spurs in 13/14 bought players for cheaper as they didn't sell Bale at that point. What happens is that a club know you have money from a previous sale and are more likely to fleece you for it.

Anyway I'd be pretty happy with Arsenal's window. Only issue is that they didn't just buy Lacazette or a more established striker, but I'd assume Lucas Perez has similar qualities, can play on the wing as well as be a genuine option up top. Gnabry going to Bayern is a **** up though but I think just start Chamberlain and see how he develops as it's over for Walcott.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by swirly
Just ****ing lol at the fans who were thinking Wilshere would start at Juventus and now he's going to Bournemouth

Sums up his whole career really.

Some guy said Only Pjanic and Marchisio would be ahead of him in their midfield.

LMAO

Latest