The Student Room Group

Labour party councillor calls trangender tory councillor a " man "

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BaconandSauce
no not never there are always exceptions to the rule but it's not the 'default' as you suggested

what exceptions are you talking about?

Yes he is but he's also a party member

so what? he's employed by the people as a representative - if he should be "fired" then we need a recall system
Reply 61
He did it deliberately and in a way to cause offense

as I have said they only know this person as a she so to call her 'he' on numerous occasions (and he was being a massive dick while doing it) is wrong and we expect better

You are right they are being a dick but is that a reason to call the police?

This is the perfect case where you have to ask yourself would you rather have your feelings protected by the government or freedom of expression which protects what people say to you as well as what you say to them?
Original post by Pinkberry_y
I've noticed humans love to find anything to complain or be pedantic about. In this society where we don't have the big issues of war and starving to death etc like some third world countries, what do we latch onto? Complaining about correct terminology for s*it that does *not* matter.

People who call this hate crime are taking the p**s and making a joke for people in the past and present who have received actual hate crime for their colour or sexuality.

You better be careful. You may have hurt someone's feelings on this thread and thus get reported to the police for rape or some other made up offense.
Original post by sleepysnooze
what exceptions are you talking about?

so what? he's employed by the people as a representative - if he should be "fired" then we need a recall system

continual hate crimes.

Yes that's right.
Deleted as duplicate post.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by itsbillie
She'd already transitioned. He knew that she's a woman, and decided to misgender her out of ignorance and it disrespect just because she's transgender. To hell with all these edgy comments about attack helicopters; that joke died years ago, stop using it as a way of avoiding the fact that you don't understand the importance of recognising someone's gender and pronouns.

Does being a dick warrant the police being called?

her sex is female

we don't get to decide what people identify as.

Wrong on the first count, and right on the second,

Using the linked article as a source, the councillor identifies as a transgender (not trans-sex) female, meaning he/she is a man who behaves partly as, and who tells people he is, a woman. Maybe he will have surgery and become a woman. Until then he has a penis and is still a human male. Maybe the article is wrong and the operation has already taken place, in which case she could really be a woman.
continual hate crimes.

Yes that's right.

There was no hate crime which is why the police aren't investigating it as such. He needs to stop running to the papers with his victim mentality.
This is a police matter?

Jesus ****ing christ, we've all lost our minds.
Original post by joecphillips
You are right they are being a dick but is that a reason to call the police?

This is the perfect case where you have to ask yourself would you rather have your feelings protected by the government or freedom of expression which protects what people say to you as well as what you say to them?

it is tricky I know

But I'd rather there weren't trans phobic bullies in the first place and if it takes the police to stop it then so be it (this is no different to racism)
This is utterly ridiculous and clearly not a hate crime, what a horrendous attack on free speech. Sure, I think it's definitely respectful to call a transgender person by whichever pronoun they want to identify as, but by no means should people be legally obliged to do so. Especially given that they were born, and still biologically are, a male, I fail to see how the man has done anything but perhaps be a bit rude. Calling the police is insane. It doesn't matter what they 'identify' as, it doesn't change their biological status. Hate crimes should only constitute continual harassment, systematic discrimination or incitements to violence, and this incident was none of those. People don't have the right not to be offended.
Reply 71
Luckily he wasn't Jewish, there would've been plenty more slurs
Reply 72
I'm completely pro LGBT and I think people should be mindful of which pronoun to use for anybody, but it seems, from that article, as though this was completely inadvertent and a mistake.
Pretty thoughtless or careless yes, but not malicious. If it was an honest mistake and this Tory person is using it as a cheap shot I think that's pretty low.
The more transsexual people make issues about non-issues, the less I sympathize with them.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous

Reminds me of this:
[video="youtube;SYkbqzWVHZI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYkbqzWVHZI[/video]

Or of this

Reply 75
Original post by JRKinder
This is utterly ridiculous and clearly not a hate crime, what a horrendous attack on free speech. Sure, I think it's definitely respectful to call a transgender person by whichever pronoun they want to identify as, but by no means should people be legally obliged to do so. Especially given that they were born, and still biologically are, a male, I fail to see how the man has done anything but perhaps be a bit rude. Calling the police is insane. It doesn't matter what they 'identify' as, it doesn't change their biological status. Hate crimes should only constitute continual harassment, systematic discrimination or incitements to violence, and this incident was none of those. People don't have the right not to be offended.

I agree with you on all points except about the male still biologically being a male, regardless of having had a sex change. Not because this isn't true but because it's completely irrelevant to the argument. Yours (or the public's, or anyone's) opinion on what constitutes male or female doesn't affect the issue here of politeness and courtesy versus freedom of speech. People's views on sex and gender vary, but the fact that this was not a hate crime remains the same, regardless. I hope this makes sense.
Reply 76
it is tricky I know

But I'd rather there weren't trans phobic bullies in the first place and if it takes the police to stop it then so be it (this is no different to racism)

So you are happy for the police to crack down on thought crime, it isn't tricky if they actually did something other than say something that offends someone fine but freedom of speech is there for a reason.

What happened here isn't a criminal offence that is why it is not being treated as such and is instead being called a hate incident so why are police getting involved when nothing criminal illegal has happen?
Original post by joecphillips
So you are happy for the police to crack down on thought crime, it isn't tricky if they actually did something other than say something that offends someone fine but freedom of speech is there for a reason.

What happened here isn't a criminal offence that is why it is not being treated as such and is instead being called a hate incident so why are police getting involved when nothing criminal illegal has happen?

it's not a thought crime

he can think what he like but when words are used towards someone it crosses the line from thought to action

trans phobic abuse is still abuse

trans phobic abuse is still abuse

The use of a pronoun (particularly one that is factually correct) does not constitute abuse.
Original post by Good bloke
The use of a pronoun (particularly one that is factually correct) does not constitute abuse.

it does to a transgender person

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending