The Student Room Group

I'm worrying about one of my Controlled Assessments for OCR GCSE's Computing (A453)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
You're still going on about this? The holidays are nearly over and you haven't stopped worrying like you wanted to, even though there are two pages of people telling you that you will be fine
Original post by iHammmy
You're still going on about this? The holidays are nearly over and you haven't stopped worrying like you wanted to, even though there are two pages of people telling you that you will be fine

I was just thanking another user. I feel fine now, thanks. :smile:

Spoiler

Thought I'd give my opinion on this matter to OP, considering I was in a similar situation.

Much like yourself, my CompSci class was full of students who had never touched Python or had only experienced it through CodeAcademy etc.

My document had 70 pages with screenshots and full explanations of variables. I also touched upon why I used certain functions that might not be as efficient and my personal opinion on the capabilities and upgradability of my code.
I explained my code in their relative blocks in a high detail and how it met/matched the specification.

I ensured to document my Flowchat, Planning, Pseudocode, Programming, Testing, Bug Fixing and Conclusions after every task.

I'm personally quite experienced with Python and so compared to my class, my document looked a little sketchy - I wrote quite a bit because honestly, I really enjoyed it :P

Some of my class had less than 20 pages and others had just copy pasted from StackOverflow.

Anyway, fast forward to results day a week ago: A* overall with A* (A452) & A*(A453) coursework.
My coursework was moderated and looked at, but my marks were not changed.

If your work is actually your own, you have nothing to be worried about.
I actually did get moderated down myself but only slightly after I was submitted with full marks for both A452 and A453. Ended up with 90/90 UMS in A452 (so full marks) but got moderated down (I think two marks) in A453 and got 86/90 UMS. However this was relatively little and I believe was because my Task 1 solution was unnecessarily complex and a bit inefficient, though fixing this later on helped to negate this.

I did way more words and work than pretty much everyone else in my year (I think my A453 stretched into something like 15000-20000 words) and that was the only issue I ever had, so I doubt they'll moderate you down just for the sake of it or even conduct an investigation.
Reply 44
I find it crazy how people have done 70+ pages per coursework task to get an A*. My A453 was 34 pages, and my A452 was 26 pages. I got an A* in both of those courseworks, and even the combined number of pages between the two don't come close to 70. You guys need to chill with the excessive amount of detail you put into the coursework, it really isn't needed tbh...
Original post by Aklaol
I find it crazy how people have done 70+ pages per coursework task to get an A*. My A453 was 34 pages, and my A452 was 26 pages. I got an A* in both of those courseworks, and even the combined number of pages between the two don't come close to 70. You guys need to chill with the excessive amount of detail you put into the coursework, it really isn't needed tbh...

It's hard to know what the exam board likes to see. I know there's a mark scheme but the mark scheme isn't detailed enough.

26-34 pages per coursework? Wow.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by s4b3rt00th
It's hard to know what the exam board likes to see. I know there's a mark scheme but the mark scheme isn't detailed enough.

26-34 pages per coursework? Wow.

Not really tbh... If you think about it logically, a exam board isn't gonna wanna see excessive detail for a piece of coursework at GCSE level. The rule of "quality not quantity" still applies. I had a very good Computing teacher though, maybe that contributes to this whole scenario.
Original post by Aklaol
Not really tbh... If you think about it logically, a exam board isn't gonna wanna see excessive detail for a piece of coursework at GCSE level. The rule of "quality not quantity" still applies. I had a very good Computing teacher though, maybe that contributes to this whole scenario.

That rule only applies if you're trying to make it look like you've done a lot when in fact all you've done is blabber on about nothing. In all honesty, I do try my very best to do only what I deem is necessary to do. I don't try to add unnecessary detail. Clearly, I have done way too much than was necessary.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TB14
I was just thanking another user. I feel fine now, thanks. :smile:

Hey,
I was wondering if you coudl explain something to me about the A453 coursework. I've finished all my coding all i have left is the documentation. Can you give me like advice/tips on testing and development?? like how would you do the test pan and what does systematic tetsing mean? I'm struggling to find a good way to lay out my testing.

Thanks!
Original post by bluepearl7
Hey,
I was wondering if you coudl explain something to me about the A453 coursework. I've finished all my coding all i have left is the documentation. Can you give me like advice/tips on testing and development?? like how would you do the test pan and what does systematic tetsing mean? I'm struggling to find a good way to lay out my testing.

Thanks!

For testing (from what I was told) you simply need to run through everything you want the program to do, and then document the result.

How you present this is up to you, but the basic things to record are what you're testing, what you expect to happen, and what actually happened. Remember to try to break your program as much as possible and record how this goes; assume that your user is the most techno-phobic person possible.

Systematic testing is your testing whilst you develop your code (i.e. you build a new feature and you test to see if it did as expected). This doesn't have to be explicitly labelled testing, but you need to make it obvious in your write-up that you tried each bit of code before moving on. If you've been writing up everything you do as you do it (always recommendable as otherwise you're likely to forget what you were thinking at the time), chances are you'll have already done this.

If you want any more help with this, it might be best to create a new thread as we're taking this one somewhat off-topic. :smile:
Original post by SummerStrawberry
For testing (from what I was told) you simply need to run through everything you want the program to do, and then document the result.

How you present this is up to you, but the basic things to record are what you're testing, what you expect to happen, and what actually happened. Remember to try to break your program as much as possible and record how this goes; assume that your user is the most techno-phobic person possible.

Systematic testing is your testing whilst you develop your code (i.e. you build a new feature and you test to see if it did as expected). This doesn't have to be explicitly labelled testing, but you need to make it obvious in your write-up that you tried each bit of code before moving on. If you've been writing up everything you do as you do it (always recommendable as otherwise you're likely to forget what you were thinking at the time), chances are you'll have already done this.

If you want any more help with this, it might be best to create a new thread as we're taking this one somewhat off-topic. :smile:

Yeah, i was just getting a bit confused with all the elements to the testing. I get it now.
Thank you so much! :smile:

Do you do the testing before or after you've completed the program? Or, during...?
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you do the testing before or after you've completed the program? Or, during...?

Systematic testing is when you're writing the program; you're checking that what you've written does what it's meant to do. That is something you should be doing throughout the programming process. At the end of each task, you should do a full process of testing your program, throwing everything at it and generally trying to break it (as described above).
Systematic testing is when you're writing the program; you're checking that what you've written does what it's meant to do. That is something you should be doing throughout the programming process. At the end of each task, you should do a full process of testing your program, throwing everything at it and generally trying to break it (as described above).

Yes, but do you do the systematic testing within the testing log or do you show it through your development log?
Yes, but do you do the systematic testing within the testing log or do you show it through your development log?

I did mine in my development section, but you can do it within your testing section; it depends on how you have set out your write-up.
Original post by Aklaol

Well done! :smile: I'm glad you did well, however I do think that it all depends on the solution. We're all different, aren't we, and that may warrant people to do more or less than others. Your solutions were probably better than mine and warranted you to explain more/less than me, it doesn't matter IMO as long as it's not, like, 100s of pages

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending