The Student Room Group
Original post by missdiorxx
Are you a dancer and what style of dance?Ballroom and Latin dancing for me.

Finally found a fellow dancer :u:

Ive been breakdancing for close to a year :007: How long have you been dancing?
(edited 7 years ago)
I wish I could dance. :frown:
Hello. I trained in classical ballet for eight and a half years; first at a local dancing school for 3 years in Manchester, then for 3 years at the Northern Ballet School in Manchester . Then from age 16 as a full time student at the Urdang Academy of Ballet and Performing Arts in Covent Garden, London. I became a Professional Dancer when I auditioned at Pineapple Dance Studios [more or less next to my old Ballet School] for a contract as a dancer at the Moulin Rouge in Paris. I danced there for a year. Also in Japan for three years, and 6 months in Hong Kong. I also danced in Manila, Athens and London, and did some great television work, thanks to my Equity Card. Now, not only can I no longer dance the Can Can but I can't even bend down to touch my bloody toes.!!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Heh, at first I thought the title was a joke at pole dancers but then I realised that this is just an actual poll lmao.
Reply 5
Original post by ForestShadow
Finally found a fellow dancer :u:

Ive been breakdancing for close to a year :007: How long have you been dancing?

I've been dancing since I was four (I am sixteen now) but I had started with ballet (which is great for all forms of dancing). I left ballet 2 two years ago as my company had closed down but I started ballroom and latin when I was ten. And soon, I will be entered into competitions with my dance partner! Which is going to be amazing because I hope to compete internationally :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by markova21
Hello. I trained in classical ballet for eight and a half years; first at a local dancing school for 3 years in Manchester, then for 3 years at the Northern Ballet School in Manchester . Then from age 16 as a full time student at the Urdang Academy of Ballet and Performing Arts in Covent Garden, London. I became a Professional Dancer when I auditioned at Pineapple Dance Studios [more or less next to my old Ballet School] for a contract as a dancer at the Moulin Rouge in Paris. I danced there for a year. Also in Japan for three years, and 6 months in Hong Kong. I also danced in Manila, Athens and London, and did some great television work, thanks to my Equity Card. Now, not only can I no longer dance the Can Can but I can't even bend down to touch my bloody toes.!!!!

That was so lovely to read! I had been dancing ballet since I was 4 but I had to leave two years ago because my ballet company was closing down. I've always wanted to dance for the Moulin Rouge. Would you like to give any advice? :smile:
Everyone can, it just takes practice, and if you enjoy it, its no longer practice, just a hobby. Any specific styles that you are interested in?
yes i am a dancerrrrrrrr. my style is basically a mixture of hip hop, urban feel, robotic and slow motion. (still working on giving my style a name) :P
Original post by missdiorxx
That was so lovely to read! I had been dancing ballet since I was 4 but I had to leave two years ago because my ballet company was closing down. I've always wanted to dance for the Moulin Rouge. Would you like to give any advice? :smile:

Well if you go on their website, www.moulinrouge.fr which is in both French and English there is a section about becoming a dancer there. Auditions in the UK are always held at Pineapple and used to be twice a year. The dates of the auditions are always advertised in the weekly newspaper The Stage,which I think still comes out on a Thursday. Strong Classical Ballet training and probably Jazz and Contemporary Dance are required. Oh and for girls you have to be at least 5 ft 9 inches tall. Back in my day we needed to be at least 5 ft 7 IN so I got in.
Original post by ForestShadow
Everyone can, it just takes practice, and if you enjoy it, its no longer practice, just a hobby. Any specific styles that you are interested in?

I don't really know much about dancing, to be honest. Just a few moves I can use at a club/party and a few for formal occasions, haha
I used to do ballet but then it clashed with Tennis coaching and I preferred that so..
Bye bye ballet :colone:
I just realised... Where be this poll you speak of? :lol:
Reply 13
I do tap
i have been doing ballet for about 18 to 19 years
I took up dancing back in 2018, freestyle because at first I did not realise it was a group for severely cognitively disabled adults run by the government indirectly. So I am looking at other better options for my area. Ball room dancing sounds interesting but I doubt I could do that. What else would you recommend for a young physically impaired adult without cognitive issues?