The Student Room Group

Paris restaurant refuses to serve Muslim women

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
I love the idea of two Moslems complaining that people are not liberal enough.

I'm a Muslim? Damn, I must have forgotten when I took the shahadah!
Original post by admonit
AFAIK in Britain a non-Muslim man can marry a Muslim woman. Such marriage won't be registered according to Muslim law as well as marriage of two non-Muslims. It's not discrimination.
of course it is discrimination

we are talking about Islamic law (Allah's law), not the law of those decadent "kuffar" ...
france is getting fed up
and about time too
if not carefull civil war will ensue
Original post by admonit
I'm just defending the right of Muslims, as well as any other religious group, define their rules of marriage. In this case nobody is discriminated. If a woman doesn't like Muslim laws she is free to leave Islam.

To what extent does one choose to believe in a religion? You seem to be implying here people simply pick and choose to believe in a religion like they would pick and choose which club to join. I'm not so sure it is quite as simple as this. The only solution here is to join a different denomination/sect of the religion. That is all fine and well, but often times there is a lot of sectarianism. For example I have seen some pretty horrible abusive comments made towards Ahmadi Muslims.

Plus I also think there needs to be some consistency or a good explanation. Why should a religion be able to discriminate, but not a private business. It seems to me an arbitrary rule.
Original post by Good bloke
I agree, in principle. They can marry in a registry office. However, how many Moslem women are really free to leave Islam, especially without attracting an honour-killing punishment?

Let's not mix administrative and criminal acts. The permission for marriage is officially issued by Islamic authority. It is a formal administrative act. Honor killing is a private criminal initiative. Formally you cannot say that it is done according to Islamic laws, because there is no official decision of a Muslim court. It is just barbaric manifestation of an ancient Middle-East mentality.
Original post by mariachi
of course it is discrimination

we are talking about Islamic law (Allah's law), not the law of those decadent "kuffar" ...

The most important side of discrimination is injustice. You consider Islamic law of marriage as unjust, but Muslims don't agree. And that is their internal affair, not yours.
Reply 388
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Which text? The Qur'an? No, but I think a lot of it can be a good source of guidance for a spiritually-inclined Muslim.
I'm guessing that you are not referring to the violent, oppressive and discriminatory stuff.

I've often wondered how the "spiritually-inclined" Muslim determines which parts of an infallibly immutable text should be accepted and which should be rejected. But then, if any parts are rejected, it cannot be claimed to be infallible and immutable.
Hmm...
Original post by The Epicurean
To what extent does one choose to believe in a religion? You seem to be implying here people simply pick and choose to believe in a religion like they would pick and choose which club to join. I'm not so sure it is quite as simple as this. The only solution here is to join a different denomination/sect of the religion. That is all fine and well, but often times there is a lot of sectarianism. For example I have seen some pretty horrible abusive comments made towards Ahmadi Muslims.

Plus I also think there needs to be some consistency or a good explanation. Why should a religion be able to discriminate, but not a private business. It seems to me an arbitrary rule.

According to your post you consider Muslim women as discriminated, oppressed etc. But try to change (or to limit) one of these "discriminated" laws and you will see dozens of thousands protesting Muslim women. I repeat - Muslim women. You, Europeans, still have no idea what you are dealing with.
Reply 390
Original post by alevelstresss
And not allowing someone to enter because of their religion is discriminatory.
And not allowing someone to enter because they are wearing jeans and trainers is just as discriminatory.
Simply crying "B-but, it's a religion!" is utterly irrelevant.

In fact, I'd rather sit at a table next to someone in jeans and trainers than someone wearing a badge that states they condone using female captives for sex.

But then, the majority of Muslims don't really believe in Islam, do they?
Reply 391
Original post by childofthesun
We're talking about this particular incident. Read the article for the 'reason and context' if you haven't already.
And this context was one of a French citizen who had lost a friend in the Bataclan attack, railing against a visible and explicit symbol of the ideology that was used to motivate and justify that, and other attacks.

Do you condemn Palestinians for having something against Israelis?

No it's not difficult. The majority of Muslims do not support Daesh, nor do they believe that their acts are endorsed by the Quran.
Ah, but this is where you are wrong. They may claim this, but it is not supported by the evidence. Every attack and every statement from Islamic State comes with supporting Quran quotes.
For example, ISIS use female captives for sex. The Quran states that female captives can be used for sex. Sahih hadith confirm in detail that female captives can be used for sex.
So, who is the "better Muslim", the one who accepts a particular passage in the Quran, or the one who rejects it?

They also do not follow one single interpretation of the Quran or practice in the exact same way.
Indeed. So which is the more legitimate interpretation? The one that accepts everything in the Quran, or the one that rejects parts of it?

I don't blame you for not liking ISIS's interpretation. I don't like it either, but it is simply wrong to say that it has no basis in the Quran and sunnah. It is fundamentally grounded in both.
Reply 392
Original post by champ_mc99
Is the owner allowed to refuse service to a gay couple instead of a single gay individual in the sense that a gay person can 'choose' to be in a gay relationship?
Of course. In exactly the same way that you can refuse to serve a black couple, or a disabled couple, because they choose to be in those relationships.
*SMH*
Reply 393
Original post by Bornblue
You've basically backed up my point while saying you disagree with it.
I neither agree nor disagree. I am merely exploring avenues. And attempting to show people the difference between certain concepts that they are conflating.
Original post by QE2
I neither agree nor disagree. I am merely exploring avenues. And attempting to show people the difference between certain concepts that they are conflating.

It seemed you were playing on semantics quite a lot.

Two people were refused service because they were Muslim and that was quite clearly wrong. I'm not sure why there is so much 'yes but...' going on. It's simply wrong to refuse someone service for holding a belief that you disagree with, whatever that belief is.

If two Jewish people were refused service there would be nothing but condemnation and nor should there be. There wouldn't be lots of 'yes but' comments.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 395
You seem to have taken it upon yourself to argue against a point that no one has made.
Well excuse me. I didn't realise that I had to get your permission to present an argument. Sorry.

Having negative views towards the ideology of Islam is perfectly acceptable. Judging people who follow such an ideology negatively is perfectly acceptable.

Refusing to serve someone for simply believing in such an ideology is not.
This is also my personal view.

I personally do not believe in a thought police. I think it's great that in the UK you are allowed to think whatever you want with no fear of punishment. We do not punish evil thoughts.
You are aware that "intent" to commit a crime is an offence?

Refusing to serve someone who has done nothing wrong, for simply believing in an ideology that you disagree with is unreasonable discrimination and is therefore wrongful.
Whether that belief is Fundamental Islam or neo Nazism, it is unreasonable to refuse to serve someone who hasn't actually done anything wrong.
This is where we get into subjective arguments. What do we class a "doing something wrong"? Is it just being convicted of breaking the law, or does it include more personal, subjective reasons? Would an owner be justified in refusing someone who made comments about the owner's mother?

Quite why you are obsessing over the meanings of words and semantics, i'm not so sure.
Because that is how we conduct reasonable and legitimate debate. This discussion is about what behaviour is justified in certain situations and conditions. It is impossible to arrive at any sory of valid conclusion if people are using terms and concepts differently or incorrectly.

The fact remains that we should live in a society where we are allowed to think whatever we want and follow whatever religion we want without fear of punishment. If you act on such a belief in an illegal manner then fair enough, but merely holding such a belief is not and should not be punishable.
Again, a vague and unhelpful statement.
"Thinking" and "following a religion" are two entirely different concepts but you lump them together. Using female captives for sex is illegal, but I have yet to see anyone charged with claiming that using female captives for sex is acceptable. However, I don't think that it is acceptable to make such a claim. You might as well say that as long as you don't actually attack immigrants, it's ok to say that attacking them is acceptable.

If two Jewish people were refused service in a shop, you'd be up in arms about it and rightly so. It should be the same here.
Would I be up in arms? How do you know?
I would actually take the same position as I do with this one, that it is unacceptable discrimination. But without knowing the context of the Jews' refusal, it is impossible to compare them on a purely theoretical basis.
If the reastaurant was on the Gaza Strip, and the owner was a Palestinian whose friend had been murdered by the IDF, then it would be contextually different to two Jews being refused in a Harvester in Milton Keynes. And you would no doubt be justifying the owner's actions.

Now do you see why it is unhelpful to see everything as either or, with no nuance , black and white with no grey?
Reply 396
LOL, don't delude yourself. Fanatics like you are still a minority. Your fantasy of nullifying religious freedom and forcing priests, imams, rabbis and other officials to conduct marriages or other services contrary to their religious beliefs, will remain a fantasy.
So you believe that unreasonable discrimination is acceptable if it is religiously justified?

Or is it wrong to force busliness owners to conduct business that is contrary to their beliefs?

You seem to be displaying double standards here. Why should religion be granted special priviledge not afforded to individuals?
Original post by QE2
No. I said that "unreasonable discrimination" is wrong.

If you would refuse to serve a neo-Nazi wearing a swastika armband on the basis of their beliefs and appearance, then you must also accept the same when it happens because of different beliefs and appearance.

I am quite happy being called an "Islamophobe".

Def: Dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force. - (Oxford English Dictionary)

I fail to see what is "extreme" about insisting on accurate definitions and use of terms.

Of course you can, as long as that discriminateion is reasonable.

You really have no idea what I'm talking about, do you?

It is your choice, as a business owner, who you serve. As long as your decision isn't unreasonably based on things like race or gender.

You really have no idea what you're talking about either, do you?

Try actually responding to my points next time.
Try again.

K.

Spoiler

Reply 398
The State has no business regulating the internal ceremonies of religious institutions;
Why not? It regulates the internal workings of businesses.

Why should religion be granted special priviledge not afforded to businesses?
If two Jewish people were refused service there would be nothing but condemnation and nor should there be. There wouldn't be lots of 'yes but' comments.

Jews have no habit of beheading priests in churches.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending