The Student Room Group

GCSE Results: Retake and Remark Information! 25 August 2016

Scroll to see replies

@DamnDaniel2 - You can request a remark after getting a photocopied version of your paper :smile: that's what I will most probably do to remark some of my English work to get it to A* (hopefully). You just can't get a remark if you ask for the original version.
Today my igcse biology exam was sent off for a priority remark. £90!!!!!!!! I'll let you all know what happens!
Original post by The Learn Ranger
Remarks in these situations are very tempting and they might work. Did you feel you did better than the mark? If so, it might be worth it but it does cost a lot and the odds are against you, especially with the changes to the remark system this year.

What you must remember is that your results are excellent anyway and ina short while you'll have forgotten all about those 'near-misses'.

Good luck - tricky decision! Let me know what you decide.

thank you so much for response, apologies for late reply. I got 2a* 7a, C in spanish. Like Im pleased with my results but expected more a*, however cannot complain. I reckon I'm going to leave the remarks and just accept the results :smile:
Reply 43
Hello

I have a quick question about a GCS remark. I have an A in GCSE geography and obviously I am pleased, however, i am 6 marks of an A* and 4 raw marks off I think, and I also feel I performed better in the papers in scored lower in than the one I felt I didn't do as well in, when in fact I did better than the other two, and I am not sure whether it would be worth it to request a remark. My concerns are how likely it would be to go up- not likely, I assume, and also if there is a fair chance of it going down, though I imagine it couldn't go to a B, say? Thank you.
Original post by JamieTheb
thank you so much for response, apologies for late reply. I got 2a* 7a, C in spanish. Like Im pleased with my results but expected more a*, however cannot complain. I reckon I'm going to leave the remarks and just accept the results :smile:

Hey - great results! Congratulations.

Probably a good decision to leave the remarks. :smile:
Original post by gcse112
Hello

I have a quick question about a GCS remark. I have an A in GCSE geography and obviously I am pleased, however, i am 6 marks of an A* and 4 raw marks off I think, and I also feel I performed better in the papers in scored lower in than the one I felt I didn't do as well in, when in fact I did better than the other two, and I am not sure whether it would be worth it to request a remark. My concerns are how likely it would be to go up- not likely, I assume, and also if there is a fair chance of it going down, though I imagine it couldn't go to a B, say? Thank you.

Sound like there's a very good chance that your grade will stay as it is. If you feel you did well then you would think there's little chance of dropping a grade - as for going up .... there's a chance but probably a slim one. In the end, it's up to you.

Let me know what happens.
Hey, ive recieved a B in Maths, which is unexpected, as I've calculated on the Unofficial Marks Scheme the day I came back from both of my Maths exams, and Ive calculated that I've gotten 78 in Paper 1, and 87 in Paper 2, which is around 162, above the A grade boundary, which is 140, and should have gotten just that - that is an A. (I've even written it on a notepad on my PC. (I don't lie when I say this, you can even see the proof of it in the attachments created in June.

In Physics, Ive recieved a C, which was a HUGE dissapointement, as in unit 3 I've gotten an E which dragged my grade down significantly to a C, hoping for an A atleast. Should I retake it? Surprisingly I don't see a proper marks column on my results paper, which i've complained to the admin of my school.
Any feedback on what I should do?
Original post by I.Want.To.Pass
Hey, ive recieved a B in Maths, which is unexpected, as I've calculated on the Unofficial Marks Scheme the day I came back from both of my Maths exams, and Ive calculated that I've gotten 78 in Paper 1, and 87 in Paper 2, which is around 162, above the A grade boundary, which is 140, and should have gotten just that - that is an A. (I've even written it on a notepad on my PC. (I don't lie when I say this, you can even see the proof of it in the attachments created in June.

In Physics, Ive recieved a C, which was a HUGE dissapointement, as in unit 3 I've gotten an E which dragged my grade down significantly to a C, hoping for an A atleast. Should I retake it? Surprisingly I don't see a proper marks column on my results paper, which i've complained to the admin of my school.
Any feedback on what I should do?

I get what you mean! I calculated on the unofficial mark scheme I got around 85 on each paper but I got 73 in paper 1 and 79 in paper 2 so I'm remarking it. The unofficial mark scheme was very accurate and we went over the paper in class after our exam so I think I deserve more marks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
I got a c in my written AQA English Lang paper which resulted in a overall B grade once course work was considered. English is my favourite subject and throughout the year I have been consistently getting A and A*. I am considering getting my written paper remarked as I need 3 marks to improve. It's not stopping me taking A level English but it is making me doubt my ability in English. Don't know what to do!
Reply 49
Hi,basically I got 317 UMS marks for my GCSE biology paper which is a B and I don't know where there to ask for a remark or just stick with the B which I'm not very happy with. I think an A is 320 UMS marks. What should I do? Please help!
Original post by hanmay
Hi,basically I got 317 UMS marks for my GCSE biology paper which is a B and I don't know where there to ask for a remark or just stick with the B which I'm not very happy with. I think an A is 320 UMS marks. What should I do? Please help!

I would personally get it remarked. Even though they said it will be very difficult to go up, someone I know got their Physics paper moved up by 5 marks easily (B to an A) so you may as well try :h:
Reply 51
hi my son got C in english language and B in english literature. most of the subjects he wants to do at sixth form requires a B in english but it doesn't state if that is literature or language. does anyone know
Original post by sayf4
hi my son got C in english language and B in english literature. most of the subjects he wants to do at sixth form requires a B in english but it doesn't state if that is literature or language. does anyone know

I've been told my most my teachers that now you can state the best grade between lit and lang but before it was just lang :smile: so I think he can say he got a B in GCSE English :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Is it worth getting the CA's in Biology or Chemistry remarked?

Has anyone had any successful remarks from AQA?
Original post by Mooshi
I got a c in my written AQA English Lang paper which resulted in a overall B grade once course work was considered. English is my favourite subject and throughout the year I have been consistently getting A and A*. I am considering getting my written paper remarked as I need 3 marks to improve. It's not stopping me taking A level English but it is making me doubt my ability in English. Don't know what to do!

Exams are funny things. You just might have slightly misinterpreted a question or not quite done what the question wanted. Don't lose your confidence and love for the subject. Think of all those great marks and feedback from your teacher! As for the remark, that's up to you although bear in mind that the way they are carried out has changed this year, making it a bit less likely that marks will go up by small amounts. Personally I think it would be helpful to get a copy of your paper back. That way you could look through it with a teacher and find out what really happened! :smile:

Original post by hanmay

Do you really need that A (eg for a uni course) or is it just a matter of pride? If it's a matter of pride, I would be tempted to leave it - science marks are less likely to change than humanities subjects. If it's needed for something you want to do in the future then maybe it's worth a remark. Let me know what happens.
Does anyone know how much a CIE remark costs?
Original post by Elliwhi
Does anyone know how much a CIE remark costs?

£34.50 I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophiegraceb
£34.50 I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

* :eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3: I guess those 2 marks off an A* are worth it LOL 😂
Reply 58
Hmm, I suppose this is the right place to ask. I'm planning top take cambridge AS level as private candidate, and havent finished studying math yet, so can I take 2 of the exams now and math later, or do the university see it negatively? Are there any cons to this option, or should I take all 3 next june?

Thank you.
Reply 59
Hi, I did my aqa GCSE biology paper and i was 3 UMS marks away from a A. I'm considering getting a remark but only for one of the three exams (b1,b2 or b3). I got 79,83 and 80 marks (80 marks is an A) and I wanted to ask advice for which one to get remarked???? I also got 75 marks for the ISA done at school but I don't think you can get that remarked. helpp please

Quick Reply

Latest