Man makes 45k a year innit AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
How many years in? What type of firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

4, consultancy
Original post by Bigbeast
4, consultancy

Cheers. You planning on staying in consulting or going in-house at some point? What are you professional aims for the next 5+ years or so?

OT: how much partying have you been able to do outwith the job? Any success on the dating scene?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So yeah, AMA
I've got a house, car and stuff I need innit

You need to believe in yourself if you want to achieve. And always remember who has helped you along the way.

LOL as if you are a millionaire or something

Threads like this scream 'I am a basic ***** and I get excited when I find a fiver on the pavement'
4, consultancy

whilst I appreciate you trying to inspire others. 45k isn't that much. Its about £600 a week after tax and NI, not including pension or student loans if you have them. I clear £500 a week working as a laborer for the summer and consider myself broke.

But congrats if your genuinely happy!
Original post by Deeko1987
whilst I appreciate you trying to inspire others. 45k isn't that much. Its about £600 a week after tax and NI, not including pension or student loans if you have them. I clear £500 a week working as a laborer for the summer and consider myself broke.

But congrats if your genuinely happy!

Ooooh wow, £500? Amazing.

This isn't a who has a bigger peen match.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cheers. You planning on staying in consulting or going in-house at some point? What are you professional aims for the next 5+ years or so?

OT: how much partying have you been able to do outwith the job? Any success on the dating scene?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I am set on staying in consulting. I like being able to work with many clients and the company I work is a great place to work so I want to stay there for as long as I can.

I'm not the partying type aha, many actuaries, even in consulting, don't go partying and clubbing, although I do go to a restaurant/bar with colleagues once a week and make sure to keep contact with friends from uni and school.

I'm currently in a relationship so I guess it's been pretty successful yeah
(edited 7 years ago)
Ooooh wow, £500? Amazing.

This isn't a who has a bigger peen match.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah...

Here's the point... and your somewhere over the south pacific.

Point being that neither are alot and who cares anyway. I'm impressed with the actuary bit, the 45k is insignificant.
Yeah...

Here's the point... and your somewhere over the south pacific.

Point being that neither are alot and who cares anyway. I'm impressed with the actuary bit, the 45k is insignificant.

I only put 45k because I knew no one is going to click on a thread that says "I'm an actuarial consultant AMA" except other actuaries
Click bait works

But honestly, 45k is quite a lot for me because I come from a working class background and was the first person in my family to go to university so these sorts of salaries have been alien to me for a long time.
(edited 7 years ago)
how hard were the exams?
Did you spend at least 100 hours revising for each one?
Original post by longsightdon
What did u study at uni and where?

I studied economics and politics at a Russel Group uni but not one of the top ones
Tits or ass?

Also, do you own the house you live or do you rent it
I thought its gonna be a **** thread, but its actually pretty interesting.

I'm gonna bump a previous question: what city are you living and working in?
I only put 45k because I knew no one is going to click on a thread that says "I'm an actuarial consultant AMA" except other actuaries
Click bait works

But honestly, 45k is quite a lot for me because I come from a working class background and was the first person in my family to go to university so these sorts of salaries have been alien to me for a long time.

Seen! I'm also from working class background. Started working as a trainee field engineer when I was 20 and ended up in a regional operations manager role at 23, used to earn a hell of a lot but had to work +60 hours a week for it. in the end I left to study Pet eng at Uni (but had to take my GCSE's andd foundation year), at least I can fall back on my experience for work during summer though.

Like I said originally, congrats. But you can earn more than £45k without GCSE's (which was my main point, not trying to have a peeing contest), So make that degree count. Senior Consultant!
How many hours do you work?
Original post by HarambeJr
Tits or ass?

Also, do you own the house you live or do you rent it

I'm gay so neither
I don't fully own the own the house but I have shared ownership (this is becoming more common in London)

Original post by Blank_Planet
I thought its gonna be a **** thread, but its actually pretty interesting.

I'm gonna bump a previous question: what city are you living and working in?

London
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
How many hours do you work?

50 hours a week, sometimes less, sometimes a little more
Actuaries in insurance companies actually work less than that, around 35-45 hours a week
(edited 7 years ago)
Seen! I'm also from working class background. Started working as a trainee field engineer when I was 20 and ended up in a regional operations manager role at 23, used to earn a hell of a lot but had to work +60 hours a week for it. in the end I left to study Pet eng at Uni (but had to take my GCSE's andd foundation year), at least I can fall back on my experience for work during summer though.

Like I said originally, congrats. But you can earn more than £45k without GCSE's (which was my main point, not trying to have a peeing contest), So make that degree count. Senior Consultant!

Ok I get what you mean, £45k maybe isn't impressive compared to other skilled jobs but for me it is a lot and there is potential to hit £80k and more in the future so I'm happy with the the salary package.

The main reason I went to university was because I didn't really know what I wanted to do in life. I knew I liked maths but didn't know much about actuarial work until my second year and I really enjoyed the work and the stuff I learnt.

Best of luck in your degree and career!
When did you start sitting actuarial exams?
i am starting a similar degree to you and anything above 25k+ is amazing for me.

Also what are the work hours for a typical week like?
So yeah, AMA

You need to believe in yourself if you want to achieve. And always remember who has helped you along the way.

For how much longer can you keep this lie up? Give your answer in detail with a reference to peanuts for a bonus mark. You will be marked on your spelling, punctuation and grammar. [8 marks]
So yeah, AMA

How much tax do you pay?
Original post by whydoidothis?
When did you start sitting actuarial exams?
i am starting a similar degree to you and anything above 25k+ is amazing for me.

Also what are the work hours for a typical week like?

I started studying for the exams after I graduated.
Original post by Raizelcadres
How much tax do you pay?

You can work that out using a tax calculator like this one:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tax-calculator/

Quick Reply

Latest