The Student Room Group

A question on virginity

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RooshV
YES A COMPLETE MAN WHO WRITES : "Are women at all picky about guys being virgins? I lost my virginity to my abusive ex and don't want it to haunt me for the rest of my life, so I want to know how it will affect anyone's perception of me. "

You have to be joking. Please tell me this is a joke and i'll happily laugh with you over a beer

What is a real or complete man in your view.
Reply 21
Original post by AlexLawrence1453
What is a real or complete man in your view.

I wont say too much, i'll just state the main things: Confident, focused on his career goals, doesn't give a **** what people think of think and doesn't need affirmation from other people, emotionally stoic ( google stoic if you don't know) or void, never makes excuses, decisive, assertive, never apologises for things not in his control, doesn't seek attention and he's selfish.
He is aware of abundance mentality - there are girls everywhere. He should never be make one girl the centre of his world. No one is special. There is no such thing as a soulmate. 3.5 billion girls out there.
Not desperate for women to complete him and in fact is not desperate for anything.

I could say more but you get the picture.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RooshV
I wont say too much, i'll just state the main things: Confident, focused on his career goals, doesn't give a **** what people think of think and doesn't need affirmation from other people, emotionally stoic ( google stoic if you don't know) or void, never makes excuses, decisive, assertive, never apologises for things not in his control, doesn't seek attention and he's selfish.
He is aware of abundance mentality - there are girls everywhere. He should never be make one girl the centre of his world. No one is special. There is no such thing as a soulmate. 3.5 billion girls out there.
Not desperate for women to complete him and in fact is not desperate for anything.

some of that sounds like **** to me
Reply 23
Original post by Alexion
some of that sounds like **** to me

Thank you
Original post by RooshV
Thank you

yw :cute:
Original post by RooshV
I wont say too much, i'll just state the main things: Confident, focused on his career goals, doesn't give a **** what people think of think and doesn't need affirmation from other people, emotionally stoic or void, never makes excuses, decisive, assertive, never apologises for things not in his control, doesn't seek attention and he's selfish.

I asked for your definition of a man, not of masculinity. In my view, a man has balance between femininity and masculinity. If I were, for example, to completely disregard my emotions, I would be removing my feminine side and acting contrary to my sense of self. Naturally, I have femininity because I'm a human with regular sex hormones.

I understand the need for masculinity in the sense that you're trying to **** as much as possible to get as many kids as possible in a really raw and primal way. But how does that satisfy your emotional needs? Everyone has them, just to different extents. If you're not embracing your needs, experimenting with them or whatever how are you ever going to know what you need to feel happy? You're glorifying this primal hyper-masculine man and worshipping his power to fulfil your primal desires. You're stunting emotional growth by acting like an immature teenager. I agree that soulmates don't exist, but I don't think that's a reason not to find someone you like for a long-term relationship. I agree that being dependent on someone, anyone, else for your happiness is a poor mindset but that's not inherent to being a man. Any healthy minded person is a complete person by themselves. From a biological standpoint, though, a long term relationship with someone is beneficial from an emotional and physical standing. A man should have no one at the centre of his world, not even himself. Your world should be everything that exists in your life.
Reply 26
I asked for your definition of a man, not of masculinity. In my view, a man has balance between femininity and masculinity. If I were, for example, to completely disregard my emotions, I would be removing my feminine side and acting contrary to my sense of self. Naturally, I have femininity because I'm a human with regular sex hormones.

I understand the need for masculinity in the sense that you're trying to **** as much as possible to get as many kids as possible in a really raw and primal way. But how does that satisfy your emotional needs? Everyone has them, just to different extents. If you're not embracing your needs, experimenting with them or whatever how are you ever going to know what you need to feel happy? You're glorifying this primal hyper-masculine man and worshipping his power to fulfil your primal desires. You're stunting emotional growth by acting like an immature teenager. I agree that soulmates don't exist, but I don't think that's a reason not to find someone you like for a long-term relationship. I agree that being dependent on someone, anyone, else for your happiness is a poor mindset but that's not inherent to being a man. Any healthy minded person is a complete person by themselves. From a biological standpoint, though, a long term relationship with someone is beneficial from an emotional and physical standing. A man should have no one at the centre of his world, not even himself. Your world should be everything that exists in your life.

"I asked for your definition of a man, not of masculinity." After reading that, there is no way I am to subject myself to trawling through the rest of the nonsensical dribble that would inevitably follow.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RooshV
"I asked for your definition of a man, not of masculinity." After reading that, there is no way I am to subject myself to trawling through the nonsensical dribble that would inevitably follow.

Enjoy your fleeting sense of self while it lasts.
The only people I've encountered that are as obsessed with virginity are people on TSR tbh
Original post by Pinkberry_y
The only people I've encountered that are as obsessed with virginity are people on TSR tbh

Yeah I'm realising that.
Reply 30
Enjoy your fleeting sense of self while it lasts.

Evidently, you are not as insightful as me. Stop trying to say things that sound clever or witty.

Stick to your whinny posts about girls caring whether you're a virgin or not.

From this moment on, any reply of yours is going to my junk mail.
Original post by RooshV
Evidently, you are not as insightful as me. Stop trying to say things that sound clever or witty.

Stick to your whinny posts about girls caring whether you're a virgin or not.

From this moment on, any reply of yours is going to my junk mail.

And there's the inevitable narcissism. You are right that I'm writing like a complete tool though.
(edited 7 years ago)
In my view, a man has balance between femininity and masculinity. If I were, for example, to completely disregard my emotions, I would be removing my feminine side and acting contrary to my sense of self. Naturally, I have femininity because I'm a human with regular sex hormones.

:five:

I'm very proud of my femininity - don't let a plonker like this dude tell you that it's not an important part of character.
Are women at all picky about guys being virgins? I lost my virginity to my abusive ex and don't want it to haunt me for the rest of my life, so I want to know how it will affect anyone's perception of me.
EDIT: Bad question

it won't haunt you,:wink: if anything, it's quite cool that you're so open about this. I've met a lot of virgin guys who were boasting about how badass they were and how much sex they had, and you know what? a breath of fresh air is always welcome
Alex ur virginity means nothing, its a cronk of **** just like marriage and all the other crap society over values.

Girls DGAF
Your question isn't vulnerable and you don't sound like a tool. If it's important to you or it's causing you to feel upset then it IS important and nobody should be trying to belittle your feelings.

Rooshv's post about what being a man is has nothing to do with you. It's his stereotypical emotionless male gender box that he seems pretty happy to trap himself in, but that doesn't mean he should be making you feel like you need to be the same.

Being a man is identifying as a man. That is it, basically. If you feel comfortable answering "yes" to the question "are you a man?" then you are a man. In my opinion, that's the criteria.

OP, your posts are wonderful and if I could rep every single one, I would.

As to your original post.
"Are women at all picky about guys being virgins?" - As always, these kind of things are painfully down to the individual. I think as we all age we grow accustomed to the idea that others of the same age and older most likely aren't virgins because by then we'll have all had more and more opportunities. Generally, when I chat to other women about this kind of thing, meeting a guy who is a virgin is always talked about like it's a shock. Meeting a guy and taking his virginity is deemed as something pretty big to some people, because they assume that men will typically be sleeping with people more so than women will. I don't really agree with this but, regardless, virgins are usually seen as this amazing special gem to find in a sea of people that have already been with someone else.

Personally? I think it's ********. Virginity is only as meaningful as you make it and if you lost it to someone you wish you hadn't, screw it. In my opinion, having sex for the first time is a painful, awkward and stressful thing (bearing in mind I'm female) and it all becomes irrelevant when you meet someone who you really click with sexually. You gave them your least impressive sexual experience and you'll be able to have much more fun with someone now you know what you're doing. A lot of people feel more comfortable sleeping with someone who has a bit of experience, so don't fret that you will be judged for not being a virgin. You most likely won't, but if you are you needn't bother with the person doing the judging.

Mainly, I'm really sorry to hear you had an abusive ex and that you have to deal with knowing you lost your virginity to them. I understand if despite my post, you still feel that this is really significant in some way. The best thing you can do is see it as experience under your belt, not just sexually, but relationship-wise and such as well. When sleeping with someone new in the future, hopefully someone you really want it to be, there will be moments of "I WISH I'd waited for you" and this will hurt. But it won't hurt you enough to overpower the wonderful feeling of being with someone you truly want to being with and feeling happy that you got to the right place in the end.

Someone who loves you won't care who you were with before, if anyone, they will love you and see your relationship as a clean slate. Just never compare the old to the new and you will hopefully be really happy.

I'm sorry if I rambled or haven't helped at all :frown: I wish you all the best.
Original post by PandaCalavera
Your question isn't vulnerable and you don't sound like a tool. If it's important to you or it's causing you to feel upset then it IS important and nobody should be trying to belittle your feelings.

Rooshv's post about what being a man is has nothing to do with you. It's his stereotypical emotionless male gender box that he seems pretty happy to trap himself in, but that doesn't mean he should be making you feel like you need to be the same.

Being a man is identifying as a man. That is it, basically. If you feel comfortable answering "yes" to the question "are you a man?" then you are a man. In my opinion, that's the criteria.

"Are women at all picky about guys being virgins?" - As always, these kind of things are painfully down to the individual. I think as we all age we grow accustomed to the idea that others of the same age and older most likely aren't virgins because by then we'll have all had more and more opportunities. Generally, when I chat to other women about this kind of thing, meeting a guy who is a virgin is always talked about like it's a shock. Meeting a guy and taking his virginity is deemed as something pretty big to some people, because they assume that men will typically be sleeping with people more so than women will. I don't really agree with this but, regardless, virgins are usually seen as this amazing special gem to find in a sea of people that have already been with someone else.

Personally? I think it's ********. Virginity is only as meaningful as you make it and if you lost it to someone you wish you hadn't, screw it. In my opinion, having sex for the first time is a painful, awkward and stressful thing (bearing in mind I'm female) and it all becomes irrelevant when you meet someone who you really click with sexually. You gave them your least impressive sexual experience and you'll be able to have much more fun with someone now you know what you're doing. A lot of people feel more comfortable sleeping with someone who has a bit of experience, so don't fret that you will be judged for not being a virgin. You most likely won't, but if you are you needn't bother with the person doing the judging.

Mainly, I'm really sorry to hear you had an abusive ex and that you have to deal with knowing you lost your virginity to them. I understand if despite my post, you still feel that this is really significant in some way. The best thing you can do is see it as experience under your belt, not just sexually, but relationship-wise and such as well. When sleeping with someone new in the future, hopefully someone you really want it to be, there will be moments of "I WISH I'd waited for you" and this will hurt. But it won't hurt you enough to overpower the wonderful feeling of being with someone you truly want to being with and feeling happy that you got to the right place in the end.

Someone who loves you won't care who you were with before, if anyone, they will love you and see your relationship as a clean slate. Just never compare the old to the new and you will hopefully be really happy.

I'm sorry if I rambled or haven't helped at all :frown: I wish you all the best.

You've helped, don't worry. I have a lot to think about that I haven't thought about before. I've been trying to spin the negative relationship into something positive, and I think I have somewhat. I think I'm growing from it and learning the behaviours to avoid, but I have learnt a lot about myself in the process at least.
You've helped, don't worry. I have a lot to think about that I haven't thought about before. I've been trying to spin the negative relationship into something positive, and I think I have somewhat. I think I'm growing from it and learning the behaviours to avoid, but I have learnt a lot about myself in the process at least.

This is the most important thing :smile: it might not be possible for you to put a positive spin on it, or it might be counter-productive. Sometimes just accepting things as they are "yeah I lost my virginity to the completely wrong person" and recognizing it for what it is can be really helpful. It will eventually become "yeah I lost my virginity to the completely wrong person, but it doesn't affect my life, it doesn't decreased my worth as a person, it has not done irreparable damage to me or my life. I just had sex with a really crappy person once".

Taking a look at things as the big picture really humbles you. Virginity is just a man made label for having sex for the first time because someone decided it has some kind of meaning. The only meaning that matters is what's happening RIGHT NOW and the kind of sex that will evoke meaning in the future :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by PandaCalavera

How disrespectful. If you're going to mention me, at least have the courtesy to tag or quote me. How can you say it has nothing to do with him when he is the one that asked me.

Good to know you recognised that your post can be deemed to being a mere 'ramble'.
Original post by RooshV
How disrespectful. If you're going to mention me, at least have the courtesy to tag or quote me. How can you say it has nothing to do with him when he is the one that asked me.

Good to know you recognised that your post can be deemed to being a mere 'ramble'.

All I can do is apologise for any offence I have caused you. I wasn't looking to debate with you, frankly, I provided my opinion on it for the OP. Your view on what men should be is nonsense, in my opinion, and I said so. If you want to reply on that subject, by all means do so, I can't say it'll make a difference.

I ramble in most of my posts, but hey, apparently it helped the OP. Which is what advice threads are for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending