The Student Room Group
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London

Anyone in Town Hall Camberwell this year?

So I've just accepted accommodation at Town Hall Camberwell (which I am trying really hard not to refer to as THC)!
Anyone else?
What do you think we've got to look forward to, or be wary of, living in brand new halls?
I really just want to know someone when I get there in a few weeks!
Reply 1
Original post by HeyThereItsKate
So I've just accepted accommodation at Town Hall Camberwell (which I am trying really hard not to refer to as THC)!
Anyone else?
What do you think we've got to look forward to, or be wary of, living in brand new halls?

I wish I was but it wasn't one of the choices when I applied. When did you apply? It looks so nice.
Goldsmiths, University of London
Goldsmiths College, University of London
London
Original post by JudahS
I wish I was but it wasn't one of the choices when I applied. When did you apply? It looks so nice.

I applied through clearing, so I applied for my place a couple of days ago, and got the offer the next day.There were only a couple of places left, and I kind of wish I'd gotten a different room, since it's one of the more expensive ones :frown: But it does look nice though! I'm so excited!! :biggrin:
I just got my offer! It looks so clean so i'm quite happy, obviously because it's new I didn't put it as an option when I initially applied but i'm pleased I got a room even though i'm going to be unbelievably poor (bloody London rent).
Original post by darcykdixon
I just got my offer! It looks so clean so i'm quite happy, obviously because it's new I didn't put it as an option when I initially applied but i'm pleased I got a room even though i'm going to be unbelievably poor (bloody London rent).

I know! I'm from Jersey, so the prices were close to what I'm used to at home, but that still doesn't mean I can afford it!! I predict us all eating a lot of pot noodles and wearing the same pair of jeans and t shirt all year round :biggrin:
Reply 5
Anyone else?

Heeeey! I got a room too at Town Hall Camberwell. It best be worth the money though because when I found out the price, I went silent on the phone for a good few minutes.I'm so nervous doe :frown: I hope everyone is nice and my flat mates are nice.What are you studying Kate? :smile:
Original post by AnneSofia
Heeeey! I got a room too at Town Hall Camberwell. It best be worth the money though because when I found out the price, I went silent on the phone for a good few minutes.I'm so nervous doe :frown: I hope everyone is nice and my flat mates are nice.What are you studying Kate? :smile:

Haha when I told my mum she had to sit down for a few minutes! I'm actually doing a foundation year because my grades were so crap... but it's a year zero for an English and Creative Writing degree. You?
Hi I have a room in Town Hall Camberwell! I didn't apply there either and price is slowly breaking my heart but so easy to get ripped off in London especially in terms of bills etc... I'm a postgrad student studying Applied Theatre :smile:
Reply 8
Hello.
I'm studying in Goldsmiths next year and was considering applying to this halls. Since you guys have been living there for a while now, what do you think??
My main concern is location. Is it easy/quick to get to uni? And is Camberwell nice? I was wondering in terms of like supermarket close by and stuff.

Thank you! xx
Reply 9
Original post by MatildeCF
Hello.
I'm studying in Goldsmiths next year and was considering applying to this halls. Since you guys have been living there for a while now, what do you think??
My main concern is location. Is it easy/quick to get to uni? And is Camberwell nice? I was wondering in terms of like supermarket close by and stuff.

Thank you! xx

Hi there,

I'm at Camberwell and my experience has been alright. I've had issues with my flatmates which hasn't really been great. Camberwell is nice but I find the pricing for my room too expensive especially as the hot water isn't great here. The size of the rooms are really spacious though and so are the kitchens. It just depends on what kind of flatmates you get. You should think about Surrey House though because it's so close to uni, I wanted to go there but they have me Camberwell instead.
Original post by Annie S
Hi there,

I'm at Camberwell and my experience has been alright. I've had issues with my flatmates which hasn't really been great. Camberwell is nice but I find the pricing for my room too expensive especially as the hot water isn't great here. The size of the rooms are really spacious though and so are the kitchens. It just depends on what kind of flatmates you get. You should think about Surrey House though because it's so close to uni, I wanted to go there but they have me Camberwell instead.

Thanks Annie!!

Would you mind me asking how much your paying for what type of room? I've checked Surrey but they don't have ensuite which I would prefer...

Do you consider being closer to uni would pay off having a worse bedroom and kitchen? The thing about Camberwell is that the rooms look dreamy...! But I'm afraid the commute will annoy me / the area isn't the best.

I guess unfortunately we can get bad roommates anywhere :frown: I hope you can sort it all out! Thanks for the help xx
Did anyone who went or is at Camberwell Hall apply and get in whilst already living in London before they applied?
Can you guys let me know what Town Hall was lke to live in?? thinking about getting it for 2017/2018 year! thanks!
Reply 13
So Ive been offered THC! [LOL] and I cant find enough information Im slightly anoyed that I need to take a 15 minute bus ride to get there.. but 15 minutes really isnt that bad. Also if im up for it I can walk there in like 40 minutes (which I may actually do because Im crazy lol). However I cant find any reviews from people who have stayed there?? Any one mind telling me about their experiences, ill before forever grateful!
Coming back to this a year later with a few warning points about THC.

Flatmates are going to be luck of the draw whichever halls you're in, mine were alright but not super clean so the kitchen got gross fast.
The flats are pretty big, and the rooms are a good size.
The rooftop common room and balcony are sweet- but management took to locking them at around 10 or 11 at night to prevent mess, which killed the party vibe up there.
The bus into Goldsmiths can take anywhere from 15/20 minutes to 45 in traffic, but that only matters if you need to get in during rush hour or school drop off time.
If you need to go in through the Havil Street entrance (I did since I lived on the 4th floor) then you'll have to get used to slogging through the front and round to the Havil Street lifts, since that entrance is exit-only from 9 pm to 7 am, which was annoying if you go out for the night and have to navigate your way through the building steaming drunk.

Overall though, I wouldn't worry. The management were helpful and friendly, the rooms were great to spread out in, and the nearest Mcdonalds is only around the corner! Pro tip: the corner shop right at the other end of Havil Street is the 24 hour one. Absolute lifesaver!
hello!I'll be studying in Goldsmiths and will be studying MA Media and Communication.Want to know more about which hall/house to take?Town hall looks so nice but it a bit costly. What to do?
In addition to McDonalds, Camberwell is one of the best areas for eating great cheep food in London. :eating:

Overall though, I wouldn't worry. The management were helpful and friendly, the rooms were great to spread out in, and the nearest Mcdonalds is only around the corner! Pro tip: the corner shop right at the other end of Havil Street is the 24 hour one. Absolute lifesaver!
Original post by prabhleen
hello!I'll be studying in Goldsmiths and will be studying MA Media and Communication.Want to know more about which hall/house to take?Town hall looks so nice but it a bit costly. What to do?

I will be taking the same course :smile:
Whats ur selection for the accommodation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending