The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zain-A
About to start my 1st year soon, reading some of your posts got me thinking, with the state the NHS is in currently, as your years go by are you losing morale or are most of you simply sick of being students now?

Come back when you start. This is for current medical students only.
Original post by ForestCat
Shame!

Maybe I should find a sugar daddy... but I feel that would be far more hassle than its worth (and that I'm too old lol).

FC! :zomg:

:tongue:*
Reply 362
Can I join the club too next week :smile:
*Incoming 1st year @ Edinburgh*
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Quilverine
26th September, moderately terrified.

We've got your back don't worry :wink:
Original post by Yammy
Can I join the club too :smile:

The president of Edinburgh Uni Anime Soc is a medic this year. :tongue:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
The president of Edinburgh Uni Anime Soc is a medic this year. :tongue:

Is it you? :iiam:
Original post by JayAhm
Are you guys digital note takers? or traditional pen/paper?

Any app recommendations? I use a lot of different apps for work but not sure how they'd be for uni note taking.

I was, I think I was the first person in our year to have an iPad (imported from USA when they first came out!) - this was in a time when everyone was writing on printouts, except the 2/3 people with a laptop. Times have changed!

More recently I used Notability on iPad and a decent stylus (Wacom Bamboo pencil).Import the slides into Notability, scribble on them on the screen. The app records the lecture and automatically uploads the annotated PDF and recording to Dropbox. It was like being organised but it was all done for me!

That said, I never really looked at them again, but it was great to know they were there and I could listen back if I chose to do so.
Sounds like I'm the only person looking forward to third year? I mean I'm not brilliant, med school is far from a breeze and I just manage to scale through each year but I still prefer the stress of being in med school to being bored and stuck at home. Anyone else?
Original post by MJK91
You've had a lot of good advice; it can be difficult when you notice shortcomings with the NHS and with other doctors, but remember to keep perspective. Absolutely make that complaint as is your right, but the majority of docs are working hard and indeed are overworked. You're working to be part of this system and to improve it, so keep the enthusiasm and keep battling to make the NHS as good as it can be in your hands :smile:

I definitely agree that perspective is important. However, no matter how overworked you are, some things do remain absolutely unacceptable - I do not view making a formal complaint as a thing to do flippantly.

I have now drafted two emails and have been sure to also praise the care my family member received in other areas. They always spoke highly of their regular GP - it's just a shame they weren't working on the day in question. **

& yes, if I do see this degree through, I have learnt a lesson about the sort of doctor I don't want to be.*
Original post by Yammy
Can I join the club too next week :smile:

In 2 weeks
Original post by usycool1
Is it you? :iiam:

Hahaha, no. It's not me! Although I do go to it. :tongue:
Original post by Asklepios
In 2 weeks

I don't even come on this thread but have just seen some comments and just an FYI, you sound like a right aristocratic arse.

Exclusivity is one of the qualities doctors want to rid themselves of within healthcare, to avoid the 'mightier than thou' mentality of old lore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Sounds like I'm the only person looking forward to third year? I mean I'm not brilliant, med school is far from a breeze and I just manage to scale through each year but I still prefer the stress of being in med school to being bored and stuck at home. Anyone else?

I'm with you. About to start 2nd year GEM and I've been excited about it all summer! Maybe because we start clinical in February and I can't wait for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themightylaa
I don't even come on this thread but have just seen some comments and just an FYI, you sound like a right aristocratic arse.

Exclusivity is one of the qualities doctors want to rid themselves of within healthcare, to avoid the 'mightier than thou' mentality of old lore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They weren't really being that rude. Its clearly stated that this is for current students. That poster will be welcomed in as soon as they start.
This thread is where a lot of us come to unwind or seek help and advice from other med students or Doctors, people in the same position. There is a whole forum for applicants to ask their question, we just ask for a little space free of that. Think of this as a staff room of sorts.
They weren't really being that rude. Its clearly stated that this is for current students. That poster will be welcomed in as soon as they start.
This thread is where a lot of us come to unwind or seek help and advice from other med students or Doctors, people in the same position. There is a whole forum for applicants to ask their question, we just ask for a little space free of that. Think of this as a staff room of sorts.

Thanks for defending me xo
Original post by Asklepios
Thanks for defending me xo

I'm sure you're more than capable but its true anyways :smile:
Original post by Themightylaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

As has already been said, I'm sure the intention wasn't to be rude. It's just that the medicine subforum is saturated with posts like "I've got 12As at GCSE is this good enough?".

The purpose of this thread is so that people can talk about their experiences of medical school without being drowned by applicant questions. There are plenty of places that these questions can be posted and the current medical students often go out of their way to provide lots of information to applicants.

It does even say this at the top of the current medical students subforum.
(edited 7 years ago)

(to be fair, I do think it's a little pedantic for the OP to insist that someone who is 2 weeks away from matriculation isn't allowed in the 'current medical students' thread, when they might have already paid their fees, bought a stethoscope, been given their timetable, and accessed their lecture notes online. It seems against the really very lovely welcoming vibe of this corner of TSR, and it's not like people are asking 'are these GCSEs good for medicine'...although maybe us freshers should take a vow to not overwhelm the thread with inane questions!)
Original post by Etomidate
As has already been said, I'm sure the intention wasn't to be rude. It's just that the medicine subforum is saturated with posts like "I've got 12As at GCSE is this good enough?".

The purpose of this thread is so that people can talk about their experiences of medical school without being drowned by applicant questions. There are plenty of places that these questions can be posted and the current medical students often go out of their way to provide lots of information to applicants.

It does even say this at the top of the current medical students subforum.

Sorry mate you're not a medical student, going to have to ask you to leave :ciao:
Original post by prospectivemed56
(to be fair, I do think it's a little pedantic for the OP to insist that someone who is 2 weeks away from matriculation isn't allowed in the 'current medical students' thread, when they might have already paid their fees, bought a stethoscope, been given their timetable, and accessed their lecture notes online. It seems against the really very lovely welcoming vibe of this corner of TSR, and it's not like people are asking 'are these GCSEs good for medicine'...although maybe us freshers should take a vow to not overwhelm the thread with inane questions!)

Pedantic, perhaps. But we've all been there. Everyone gets treated the same. Besides, those posts won't get removed. We don't check registration at uni. But if someone asks if they can post, but haven't started yet, they're always going to get (with tongue slightly in cheek) a no.

To be truly pedantic though, they won't be a med student until they actually have their first day. And I want to know which medical school is that organised to provide lecture notes etc before the student has even registered.

Quick Reply

Latest