The Student Room Group

Are 3 A levels enough?

I have picked Maths, Physics and Chemistry and plan on applying for Engineering at a good University. Mostly everybody seems to have picked 4 at my sixth form college so should I also take Biology as a 4th? Will taking 3 put me at a disadvantage?

I am also doing the EPQ which is half A level so would that be enough or is another subject essential?
Original post by Tinka99
I have picked Maths, Physics and Chemistry and plan on applying for Engineering at a good University. Mostly everybody seems to have picked 4 at my sixth form college so should I also take Biology as a 4th? Will taking 3 put me at a disadvantage?

I am also doing the EPQ which is half A level so would that be enough or is another subject essential?

It's enough. Even Oxford University say on their website "A 4th As Level has never been a requirement."
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by meandegreen
Yes, it's fine. Even Oxford University say on their website "A 4th As Level has never been a requirement."

Wouldn't having a 4th A levels or maybe 3 A levels and an AS level make you look better than those only taking 3 A levels?
Reply 3
yeah 3 a levels is enough. usually, people take a 4th a level just in case they fail in one they have the other three they can take into A2. you're better of taking 4 for AS and drop the one you got the lowest in and take the other 3 for A2.
Original post by Tinka99

Hi, I'm in kind of the same position as you. I can only do three A Levels and an EPQ at my school (I'll do English Lit, French and Philosophy), and my school have done this for a few years and each year managed to get 2 or 3 people into Oxbridge. I'm looking to do Philosophy at Cambridge and from what I've been told, 3 A Levels is just fine, top unis like the EPQ too because it shows ability to do independent research. As long as you strive for the top grades in your 3, you will be at no disadvantage. Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by Tinka99

You won't be at a disadvantage whatsoever (having more than 3 won't be much of an advantage either). Unless the uni you are applying to asks for it (which non do if I remember correctly).
Reply 6
Original post by Dr Carlsberg
Hi, I'm in kind of the same position as you. I can only do three A Levels and an EPQ at my school (I'll do English Lit, French and Philosophy), and my school have done this for a few years and each year managed to get 2 or 3 people into Oxbridge. I'm looking to do Philosophy at Cambridge and from what I've been told, 3 A Levels is just fine, top unis like the EPQ too because it shows ability to do independent research. As long as you strive for the top grades in your 3, you will be at no disadvantage. Good luck!

I have the option to do the 4th but I choose not to. I am not the most academically gifted person and don't feel like I can handle the pressure of an extra A level. I would rather do 3 and get A/A* in them than let a 4th one affect my performance overall.
Original post by Tinka99
I have the option to do the 4th but I choose not to. I am not the most academically gifted person and don't feel like I can handle the pressure of an extra A level. I would rather do 3 and get A/A* in them than let a 4th one affect my performance overall.

If that's what you'd rather do, go for it. You'll have a lighter workload and therefore more time to focus on those A/A*s you want. I'd stick with your three personally!

Quick Reply

Latest