AQA Physics (predicted: A*)
AQA Biology (predicted: A*)
AQA Chemistry (predicted: A*)
AQA Drama (predicted: A)
AQA History (predicted: A*)
OCR Computing (predicted: A)
AQA German (predicted: A)
OCR Religious Studies (predicted: A*)

My favourite subjects are English Literature and History and I wish to study these at A-Level too. I enjoy drawing, although I don't study art at GCSE level. I'm a bit worried about learning all the poems for English and the quotes for Shakespeare, when is everyone thinking of starting to memorise them?

Hi, :smile:
I'm studying AQA Language and literature too and predicted 8/9's but I'm worried about them the most out of all my subjects that I'm studying. I'm especially concerned with the poetry- Power and Conflict and we haven't properly studied A Christmas carol and only about to start the History Boys soon. To answer your question when I read the Shakespeare I write down around 10 memorable quotes for each theme but I don't really know what to do for the rest of the set texts- probably the same thing?
How do you find the writing in English Language? I personally am struggling on the writing so I'm reading more to gain creativity - my reading is compensating for my writing at the moment but i need to get better on the writing because it's weighted 50% of the GCSE so it's equally important.
Original post by kflora
Hi @thepewds_:smile:
I'm about half way through my science notes because we've only been taught half of it so far. Haven't even started some of my notes in literature - A Christmas carol , the history boys and the poetry. Other than that, im hoping to complete my notes before my mocks in December.:redface:

Hey. Thanks for your reply :biggrin: December seems reasonable. Happy revising! :smile:
Original post by thepewds_
Hey. Thanks for your reply :biggrin: December seems reasonable. Happy revising! :smile:

i'm starting now for my notes in preparation for my november mocks
Original post by samaad1
i'm starting now for my notes in preparation for my november mocks

I'm going to have 3 sets of mocks in year 11 for all my subjects. Ive made all my science notes (unit 1,2,3), physical geography, religion and morality, all of PE, Maths some topics, some Spanish. I believe ive made quite a lot in yr10. Now I just need to finish them off and revise from them throughout the year for when I have mocks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bimball
Hi, I'm doing the same exam boards as you for triple science, geography, English and maths. I also do Edexcel German - so the same spec as Spanish. I just recommend making sure your course work is a grade above your predicted grade. As for listening and reading, learn as much vocab as you can throughout the year related to the topics you cover, and lots and lots of pass papers. My teacher also recommends watching YouTube videos or movies in Spanish, so you get used to listening to the language. Hope this helps!

Thanks!
Hey, I'm anonomon.
I love football
Like tennis
And athletics Is ok

Im doing 9 GCSEs and they are :
- AQA English language
-AQA English literature ( power and conflict poems, Macbeth, Dr Jekyll and Hyde , inspector calls )
- AQA core science
- AQA additional science
- Edexcel maths
- Edexcel Religous studies
- Edexcel Business studies
- Edexcel Physical Education
- Edexcel History

I'm thinking I might go to uni and become a physiotherapist.
URGENT!!!!!!!!!
Does anyone know any schools who take in students in year 11? This is a critical situation as my parent's can no longer afford the school fees for my current school i have no less than 4 days to apply for a DECENT school. I'm just afraid I will have to move to a low performing school and do badly in my gcse's, some people might say gcses don't matter but i desperately want to get into medicine and they look at gcses. Currently i have a (seriously high) A in core science exdexcel that i did in yr 10 but nearly all schools don't offer Latin as a course obviously because my school was "posh" i don't mind dropping it if worst comes to worst. Any suggestions on what I should do or what schools to look at?
@panda_bae

Most grammar schools have waiting lists for in-year entrancrs so your best bet would be going to a comp, which it seems like you really don't want to. Have your parents tried renegotiating with the school about payment details? Maybe agree to a payment plan?

If you do end up going to a mediocre school (and dropping latin) it won't be the end of the world. Many people get straight As going to comps. If you're smart, you'll get good grades anywhere. If you think the teaching is really terrible, you could always self-teach yourself the GCSE content. I know people who went to crap schools and had to teach themselves A Level Further Maths modules. It really is possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anonomon
Hey, I'm anonomon.
I love football
Like tennis
And athletics Is ok

Im doing 9 GCSEs and they are :
- AQA English language
-AQA English literature ( power and conflict poems, Macbeth, Dr Jekyll and Hyde , inspector calls )
- AQA core science
- AQA additional science
- Edexcel maths
- Edexcel Religous studies
- Edexcel Business studies
- Edexcel Physical Education
- Edexcel History

I'm thinking I might go to uni and become a physiotherapist.

Welcome to the Thread anonomon!
Original post by panda_bae
URGENT!!!!!!!!!
Does anyone know any schools who take in students in year 11? This is a critical situation as my parent's can no longer afford the school fees for my current school i have no less than 4 days to apply for a DECENT school. I'm just afraid I will have to move to a low performing school and do badly in my gcse's, some people might say gcses don't matter but i desperately want to get into medicine and they look at gcses. Currently i have a (seriously high) A in core science exdexcel that i did in yr 10 but nearly all schools don't offer Latin as a course obviously because my school was "posh" i don't mind dropping it if worst comes to worst. Any suggestions on what I should do or what schools to look at?

I would contact local schools quite quickly. You may be put on a waiting list, note. In terms of Latin, you could self-teach if you wish, but you could drop it otherwise.
Original post by BobBobson
@panda_bae

Most grammar schools have waiting lists for in-year entrancrs so your best bet would be going to a comp, which it seems like you really don't want to. Have your parents tried renegotiating with the school about payment details? Maybe agree to a payment plan?

If you do end up going to a mediocre school (and dropping latin) it won't be the end of the world. Many people get straight As going to comps. If you're smart, you'll get good grades anywhere. If you think the teaching is really terrible, you could always self-teach yourself the GCSE content. I know people who went to crap schools and had to teach themselves A Level Further Maths modules. It really is possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, that was very reassuring, I guess it doesn't seem like a bad idea to go to a local school. And yes, my parents have been trying to work out a payment plan but they are quite a funny school and asked for the full term fee straight up which they don't have.
Reply 371
Original post by panda_bae
Thank you, that was very reassuring, I guess it doesn't seem like a bad idea to go to a local school. And yes, my parents have been trying to work out a payment plan but they are quite a funny school and asked for the full term fee straight up which they don't have.

Very sorry to hear about your problem. Like @_gcx has said, the best thing to do is to contact your local schools and preferably your local authority and speak to them about the issue. I would also speak to your current school to see if they can be reasonable of this payment plan but even if you end up in a comprehensive school, you'll still get the grades if you work hard. Hope you keep us updated.
If you guys dont already have it then I suggest getting a Mathswatch CD, for me its been more helpful than anything else.

I want to become an entrepreneur, I don't like to be too mainstream though engineering sounds nice as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 373
Hi! I'm doing Romeo and Juliet and the power and conflict section for English literature. I find for creative writing it helps to have a mental checklist of what to include (figurative language, variety of sentence structure etc.) and try to include them all throughout the piece 🙂
i'm quite excited for y11! hi i'm El, and I'm doing:
all basic GCSES, geog, spainsh and music .
please, if your doing music, message me! i find it soon hard!
anyways if anyone wants a chat or help, I'm happy to answer:smile:
I don't know if I'm too late but my name is Simone
I don't really have any hobbies these days other than Netflix
I am doing 11 GCSE's
I just sat my statistic one got an A
Not bad for a course I learnt in a term

I am doing English language and literature, Spanish, RE, Maths, Tripple science, history and Music.

My AQA exams are English and triple science
My OCR exams are history and music
My Edexcel exams are maths, statistics and RE
I'm not sure what my Spanish one is

If anyone could help my with GCSE Music it would be much appreciated.

Xox

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simonexoxo
I don't know if I'm too late but my name is Simone
I don't really have any hobbies these days other than Netflix
I am doing 11 GCSE's
I just sat my statistic one got an A
Not bad for a course I learnt in a term

I am doing English language and literature, Spanish, RE, Maths, Tripple science, history and Music.

My AQA exams are English and triple science
My OCR exams are history and music
My Edexcel exams are maths, statistics and RE
I'm not sure what my Spanish one is

If anyone could help my with GCSE Music it would be much appreciated.

Xox

Posted from TSR Mobile

I forgot to mention that for English I do:

Jekyll and Hyde
Macbeth
Inspector calls
Love and relationship poems

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thepewds_
Hi guys! Hope you're all doing well. :smile:
Just out of interest, where's everyone up to with their notes for their subjects? As in the final ones? I'm nowhere near finished and I just wanted to know whether anyone else is in the same position. Honestly I don't think it'll help me to finish and finalise all my notes now, since it's easier for me to do it a fortnight or so before the exam. But the problem is that the exams are so close together next year... Has anyone got a solution for this?

I'm nowhere near finish too, don't worry. That's why tomorrow I'm going to the library for the day so I'm away from distractions and get a lot done, because I don't want to be worrying and stressing too much in y11

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simonexoxo
I forgot to mention that for English I do:

Jekyll and Hyde
Macbeth
Inspector calls
Love and relationship poems

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Simone,

No, you're not too late to join the chat. I'm actually studying the same texts for English. When do you start school or have you already started? :biggrin:
Original post by MissChameleon
Hi Simone,

No, you're not too late to join the chat. I'm actually studying the same texts for English. When do you start school or have you already started? :biggrin:

Hi MissChameleon I actually start school on the 7th September. By the way do you have any tips on studying the poems because that is probably my weakest point

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest