TV Licensing loophole for students...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Juichiro
Finally changed the profile picture. :biggrin:

I'll keep this one for the next decade :wink:
Reply 41
Original post by z33
I think they could say they saw a TV or heard one running in the background and that would get them one? Idk :/

I've never heard of that being valid grounds for a warrant issued. How would they know it wasn't a DVD playing?
Original post by z33
I know i know my parents are paying it and im going to be paying it when i move out for uni just so I wont have to deal with their harrassment but I'm just saying it sounds proper dodgy and idk how theyve managed to keep it up for so long :hmmmm:

i dont know a single person at (any) uni who pays for a tv licence
Original post by Reue
Apply for a warrant with what evidence? Refusing entry is not grounds enough for a warrant.

They just ask for one-, make a statement that they have reasonable supsicion a TV is being used within the property and the magistrate then decides whether they think such grounds have been satisfied.

They might say they saw a TV through the window being used or that a person admitted to using a TV.

I never said refusing entry was. its up to the magistrate to decide.
I guess that, if you are living in University accommodation, then as the landlord, the university can let the Licensing people on-site and into rooms, in the same way they can let anyone in if they suspect illegal activity.

And if you are using a computer, wouldn't the Uni be able to tell by your internet useage? If you are using JANET, the usual university ISP, then they can check that. Or not? Using the university provided isp doesn't have the same terms of service as a commercial isp.
Just in case people didn't know , you can get a TV Licence Payment Card off them. Then you can pay £4.50 a week or however much it works out at the post office or any Paypoint place. I have a payment card. I couldn't afford to pay for the whole licence in one go atm.
Original post by Reue
I've never heard of that being valid grounds for a warrant issued. How would they know it wasn't a DVD playing?

It only has to be reasonable supsicion. If it was a DVD player, then thats what they would find out after entering the premises or the person could use as their defence.
Reply 47
I'm not paying for it at all, illegal streaming sites are the way forward.
Can anyone explain to me what the point of the TV license is. I lived abroad as an expat and when I came back to the UK this baffled me. Why should I pay to watch shows on my TV or laptop etc. if I am already paying the TV companies Sky, ITV etc. money to watch the programmes they have on offer? This makes no sense at all, abroad we just paid a subscription like we do here for netflix for access to the shows yet this TV license just seems to me like an additional tax for which we get nothing out of it.:hmmmm:
Original post by Duncan2012
But they would need to provide evidence when they applied for the warrant, and unless you've incriminated yourself by confessing to them or they've seen the tv switched on there isn't any (the 'detector vans' are a bluff, remember). No evidence = no warrant. So don't let them in in the first place. And assuming you're a law-abiding citizen (making use of any legal loopholes should you wish to) you can safely throw their letters in the bin.

As already said hey just ask for a warrant based on reasonable suspicion they think TV equipment is being used, so hearing or seeing such equipment would be the line of their application. They arent goloing to aply unless they feel they have a reasonable chance of getting one. Clearly they do get them and tens of thousands of people are convicted.
Original post by z33
I know i know my parents are paying it and im going to be paying it when i move out for uni just so I wont have to deal with their harrassment but I'm just saying it sounds proper dodgy and idk how theyve managed to keep it up for so long :hmmmm:

They act unethically absolutely, it's astonishing that they are allowed to bother people simply for not having paid, but there is also an issue of people not knowing their rights, if you request they cease contacting you and you keep evidence of this, they are obliged to do so, it's the same with letting them in, we Brits are not a nation of rebels, we assume that because a **** in a suit asked to come in your home you're obliged to allow them to do so.
Original post by lawyer3c
but most people who dont have a tv licence will typical be those at uni/living alone, as most people living at home with parents will usually have a tv licence

but even in your scenario, say I'm the 8 year old son and i watch iPlayer on my laptop whilst its still plugged in, then my mum/dad let the tv guy in (lol never gonna happen) what can they do? the tv is legit dont use it for anything, use my laptop - say they check my internet history and see the iPlayer stuff, then i say its cool laptop wasn't plugged in :smile: then what can they do lol?

Probably ask if it were plugged in, I mean you let these morons into your home, you're not obliged to even speak with them :rofl:

Original post by 999tigger
The the next thing they do would be to apply for a warrant, which would give them the right to enter. At that point they might turn up with plod. You cant hide forever.

They need evidence to obtain a warrant, they can't just demand the police give it to them on their personal whim and that takes time and again owning a TV without a licence is not a criminal offence so even if they police say sure have a warrant, they've still not proven anything. It's a massive racket.
Reply 52
Original post by HaramiSalami
They act unethically absolutely, it's astonishing that they are allowed to bother people simply for not having paid, but there is also an issue of people not knowing their rights, if you request they cease contacting you and you keep evidence of this, they are obliged to do so, it's the same with letting them in, we Brits are not a nation of rebels, we assume that because a **** in a suit asked to come in your home you're obliged to allow them to do so.

Imagine if they had that **** in America... you'd get your head blown off the second you know on a door in a dodgy neighborhood x_x

i dont know a single person at (any) uni who pays for a tv licence

Isnt it included in bills in uni accomodation/ sometimes private rented accomodation?
Like mine is going to include it in bills and its private rented.
Original post by Random.guy
Can anyone explain to me what the point of the TV license is. I lived abroad as an expat and when I came back to the UK this baffled me. Why should I pay to watch shows on my TV or laptop etc. if I am already paying the TV companies Sky, ITV etc. money to watch the programmes they have on offer? This makes no sense at all, abroad we just paid a subscription like we do here for netflix for access to the shows yet this TV license just seems to me like an additional tax for which we get nothing out of it.:hmmmm:

Because you aren't paying for the BBC services. The BBC channels, website, radio services etc are funded by the TV licence. Because these were originally the only channels, and it is still their funding source, we still have a universal requirement to have a TV licence if you watch any TV.
Original post by z33
Imagine if they had that **** in America... you'd get your head blown off the second you know on a door in a dodgy neighborhood x_x

ya damn right, if I were a yank I'd pack so much heat Al Gore makes a film about it

They need evidence to obtain a warrant, they can't just demand the police give it to them on their personal whim and that takes time and again owning a TV without a licence is not a criminal offence so even if they police say sure have a warrant, they've still not proven anything. It's a massive racket.

Ive already answered this twice. Yes they have to probide evidence. Its up to the magistrate to decide if they have satisfied the reasonable supsicion test. If so they will grant a warrant.

Did I say owning a TV without a licence is a criminal offence? That would be NO.

So they would probably search the premises and if they found the TV, it switched on and it was pretuned into the channels, then they would present that as evidence and the magistrates would make up their own minds whether that pointed to them having used the TV. Its the magistrates who decide. TB licence people just present the evidence and make the claim.
Probably ask if it were plugged in, I mean you let these morons into your home, you're not obliged to even speak with them :rofl:
"was your laptop plugged in when you watched Eastenders on iPlayer last Thursday?"
"no"

easy :cool:
Original post by z33

Isnt it included in bills in uni accomodation/ sometimes private rented accomodation?
Like mine is going to include it in bills and its private rented.

not that i know of. the most popular private student accommodation is UNITE, and they dont include it in the bills
Original post by 999tigger
Ive already answered this twice. Yes they have to probide evidence. Its up to the magistrate to decide if they have satisfied the reasonable supsicion test. If so they will grant a warrant.

Did I say owning a TV without a licence is a criminal offence? That would be NO.

So they would probably search the premises and if they found the TV, it switched on and it was pretuned into the channels, then they would present that as evidence and the magistrates would make up their own minds whether that pointed to them having used the TV. Its the magistrates who decide. TB licence people just present the evidence and make the claim.

You need evidence to get a warrant from the magistrate, it's not like he's your cousin and you phone him up whenever you need a favour.

Even if it's tuned it, does not prove you've been illegally watching top of the pops with Jimmy Savile before cooling off with some Rolf Harris, you sound like such a bore, probably watch the Queen's speech on Christmas and video'd the royal wedding :rofl:

I just don't understand why Brits feel the need to put up with this, ask them to leave or you'll call the police and have them removed by force.
(edited 7 years ago)
"was your laptop plugged in when you watched Eastenders on iPlayer last Thursday?"
"no"

easy :cool:

''but my magical van from the future detected electromagnetic waves proving that it was plugged in at the time, pay the court a fine or serve your sentence''

Quick Reply

Latest